Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

cell phones in a movie theater.

So was watching star wars last night at the theater and I noticed that at least 4 people in the rows in front of me were messing with their phones for about half the movie. I find this annoying and rude. I turn my phone off when the movie starts.

Do you turn your phone off for movies?
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Yeah and in most theaters you can get kicked out for having them out during a movie.

Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    So was watching star wars last night at the theater and I noticed that at least 4 people in the rows in front of me were messing with their phones for about half the movie. I find this annoying and rude. I turn my phone off when the movie starts.

Yes, I turn my phone off as should everyone. Anyone that opens their phone during the movie should be removed.

10+ Year Old Account

I keep my phone on mute, and in my pocket for the duration of the film. I paid money to be there, why would I just sit on my phone instead of paying attention? I could do that on my couch for free!
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't turn my phone off but I do keep it on vibrate and keep it in my pocket throughout the movie. I too hate it when people take their phones out during the movie. My mom does this a lot and is the reason why I don't like going to the movies with my parents anymore. I just go by myself. My dad just always falls asleep and my mom is constant playing around on her phone checking her facebook or text messages. It's really annoying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Someone takes their phone out during a movie, a well-placed Milk Dud to the back of the head usually gets them to put it away.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

I don't turn my phone off, but as soon as the previews start up, I'll put it on vibrate and put my phone away. The theater I usually go to has a horrible signal anyway, and usually you can't connect to anything in the theater.

Ya my theater actually has someone watching. No warning, you get caught you're out.

I LOVE IT

Deleted
    People on their phone, or talking in the cinema should be shot. Or just thrown out, i'd be happy with that.

When my wife and I go to a theater together we keep one of our phones on vibrate in case the sitter needs to contact us with something about the kids, but we don't have them out or anything. If I want to dink around on my phone I can do that at home far cheaper, and if the movie is really that boring that I was compelled to take out my phone at that point I'd just leave, because why stay if you're that disinterested?

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, movie theaters are one of the few places I'd like to see cell phone blockers become standard, at least inside the theaters themselves. You can hit up Twitter after the film.

The ONLY argument that could be made is "what if you're expecting some major news and you miss it because your access is blocked?", and my response to that is "well, why the hell are you sitting watching a movie, in that case?"

10+ Year Old Account
    I no longer turn it off but have it on silent and stuck in a pocket, also I'm not one of 'those' people that can't go 5 seconds without checking for posts or uploading shit to instagram. If you go to watch a film and have paid for it then either watch it or stay the fuck at home.

One time I had a girl a few rows ahead of me get her phone out at regular intervals. In the dark cinema that tiny little screen lighting up drew my eyes to it every, fucking, time and numerous people asked her to stop as it was distracting, yet, she didn't. So I retaliated by pelting her hair with half melted chocolate sweets, Maltesers to be precise and she didn't find out until her male companion noticed upon our exit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    Someone takes their phone out during a movie, a well-placed Milk Dud to the back of the head usually gets them to put it away.
    lol, i laughed when i read this.

Or a well placed "Get the fuck off your phone asshole!" also usually does the trick.

10+ Year Old Account
    I turn off my phone, and make everyone with my turn it off too. I don't settle for 'vibrate' or 'mute' because 80% of the time people forget to do that, or assume it's on that. I would say in about 1/3 of the movies I've seen in the past decade with someone, their phone has gone off because they 'thought they set it to mute'.

Just turn it off.

If someone needs it on vibrate or something for a reason, like a babysitter or emergency that isn't time sensitive, I get that.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Yes, I'm not that kind of asshole.

my phone is pretty much always on silent. The only reason I wouldn't turn it off is because I have kids so if there is an emergency my sitter needs to be able to get a hold of me. That's never happened, but I'd get up and take the phone call outside if it happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    I don't turn my phone off, but as soon as the previews start up, I'll put it on vibrate and put my phone away. The theater I usually go to has a horrible signal anyway, and usually you can't connect to anything in the theater.
    Same here. my phone doesn't come out until the credits start rolling - and even then, I only do it because I, once again, probably forgot to check to see if there's anything worth waiting for post-credits! :P

Nothing annoys me more when a celphone comes out and it's right there glaring in my peripheral view.

Deleted
    Why didn't you just report them if they were that annoying

10+ Year Old Account
    As weird as this sounds, I prefer to watch movies at home so I haven't been to a theater since...LOTR:The Return of the King was in theaters.

I've been wondering how much of an issue phones have become.

And no, I'm not a shut-in
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset