17.3" FHD (1920 x 1080) Glossy Display
    4GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti Graphics

Acer Predator Helios 300 $1099.99 from Costco
    Intel Core i7-7700HQ Processor at 2.8GHz
    16GB DDR4 (2-DIMM) RAM
    1TB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive + 256GB Solid State Drive
    17.3" FHD IPS WLED Backlit (1920 x 1080) Display
    6GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 Graphics

Two things first: 1) Yes, I understand the Predator Helios 300 has a 1060 6GB and is inherently better, 2) Yes, Costco is where I am forced to buy it due to monetary assistance from my mother.

Other things to consider: This is solely a portable WoW box; I have a desktop that is aces. That being said I would still like solid performance in the range of 7+ on settings.

Alright, so basically what I'm stuck on is that I have had bad experiences with Acer, great experiences with ASUS, and I much prefer the RGB backlighting of the ASUS. That said and done, the deciding factor is whether or not the GTX 1050Ti is going to do enough for me to get the performance I want. If it is, then the ASUS is my go-to, and if not, I will sacrifice some preferences and history for the Predator.

Let me know what you guys think; I'll greatly appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by tuuy50 View Post
    I am currently stuck between two builds after some extensive research:

ASUS ROG GL753VE $999.99 from Costco
    7th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ Processor 2.8GHz
    16GB DDR4 RAM
    1TB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive + 128GB SATA3 Solid State Drive
    17.3" FHD (1920 x 1080) Glossy Display
    4GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti Graphics

Acer Predator Helios 300 $1099.99 from Costco
    Intel Core i7-7700HQ Processor at 2.8GHz
    16GB DDR4 (2-DIMM) RAM
    1TB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive + 256GB Solid State Drive
    17.3" FHD IPS WLED Backlit (1920 x 1080) Display
    6GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 Graphics

Two things first: 1) Yes, I understand the Predator Helios 300 has a 1060 6GB and is inherently better, 2) Yes, Costco is where I am forced to buy it due to monetary assistance from my mother.

Other things to consider: This is solely a portable WoW box; I have a desktop that is aces. That being said I would still like solid performance in the range of 7+ on settings.

Alright, so basically what I'm stuck on is that I have had bad experiences with Acer, great experiences with ASUS, and I much prefer the RGB backlighting of the ASUS. That said and done, the deciding factor is whether or not the GTX 1050Ti is going to do enough for me to get the performance I want. If it is, then the ASUS is my go-to, and if not, I will sacrifice some preferences and history for the Predator.

Let me know what you guys think; I'll greatly appreciate it!
    You cant get the Acer ? Test it 2 weeks and if its shit you bring it back and get the Asus ?

Wanting setting 7+ on a laptop is being delusional, unless you are planning to only do questing, its not that it cant, its what content you plan to do on it, laptop CPUs cant handle WoW on higher settings that much, then again if we are talking about LFR, things can be different.

1050 Ti can handle WoW more than fine, there is no issues with it, only problem as every Media card it has, is that its strong for now, it wont be strong 2-3 years from now even for WoW, while 1060 will be.

Also it limits the things you can play in the future much faster, even on a laptop.

If you are only playing WoW, get the one you want to look at, if you plan to play other things, prioritize the 1060.

For the 100$ difference I would grab the one with the 1060 and the 256 GB SSD even though I would prefer ASUS brand wise.

I would go Asus ROG, they are built really good (mine has survived being dropped on a tile floor)

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    I personally am a big fan of the Asus ROG brand. I have never been disappointed by their products. Plus if all you want is a portable WoW box then both options will let you run on the highest settings no problem. Remember WoW is very friendly on the system requirements so it really doesn't take much to max em out.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Wanting setting 7+ on a laptop is being delusional,
    You have been on absolute tear lately of absurd misinformation and broadly foolish statements.

You can get setting 7 just fine on an i3 @ ~ 4.0 Ghz and a 1050Ti.

Any decent "gaming laptop" with a Core i5 or i7 HQ and a 1050Ti or 1060 will do fine on setting 7. The only places hell see significant drops are places where *I* see drops even on an i5 8600K @ 5Ghz.

Edit:

Since it is a laptop and you wont be able to upgrade later and they both feature the same chipset, storage options (mostly), and RAM....

Get the one with the GTX 1060. Itll be more relevant for longer, plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    You have been on absolute tear lately of absurd misinformation and broadly foolish statements.

You can get setting 7 just fine on an i3 @ ~ 4.0 Ghz and a 1050Ti.

Any decent "gaming laptop" with a Core i5 or i7 HQ and a 1050Ti or 1060 will do fine on setting 7. The only places hell see significant drops are places where *I* see drops even on an i5 8600K @ 5Ghz.

Edit:

Since it is a laptop and you wont be able to upgrade later and they both feature the same chipset, storage options (mostly), and RAM....

Get the one with the GTX 1060. Itll be more relevant for longer, plain and simple.
    No we just have different opinions on playable settings.

I enjoy having the same settings for raiding and outworld content. I dont enjoy having below 40 fps when bloodlust happens even in LFR because some randoms on the forum have an opinion.

An i3 at 4Ghz has nothing to do with a laptop 7700hq.

First of all turbo boost wont work correctly and it will turbo to 3.4 instead of 3.8 the moment the threads spread and 7700Hq is pretty much a g4560 at 3.5Ghz when it comes to WoW..maybe slightly faster overall if it turbos correctly to 3.8 which it wont.

A g4560 cant handle 7 during raiding unless its Sunday morning LFR where 80% is afk.

Secondly it will end up throttling itself when it gets hotter which 6 and 7 laptop series love to do then again if the laptops are half decent that mighr not happen any time soon.

So yes you must be a delusional googler to ever suggest ultra settings on a laptop for a raider.

But yes..running around Aszuna with high fps on high settings is playing WoW.

Maybe i used the wrong word but you have to be fucking stupid to have 7 setting on a laptop as a raider which is where i base my statement.

A mix of settings though will make that laptop shine everywhere.
    Last edited by potis; 2017-12-17 at 06:31 AM.