Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    See this is exactly why I wont watch Avatar. The fans are people like you who care about it to such a degree that they get legitimately bummed out when they find out someone else won't watch their crappy show. It's these same sad people that try to define the correct way to obtain enjoyment.

What if I get enjoyment when I see two cringelords talking about a show they love and I understand zero of the references? Then they get mad and rage because I won't give their show a chance? That's practically a live action show in itself.
    What makes you think I would care if you watch Avatar or not? Doesn't effect my enjoyment of the series in the slightest. I will admit that I do get a kick out of introducing new things to others (be it tv series, movies, games, books, ect.) that they then go on to enjoy. It's fun seeing other people have fun. Watching them discover new things can even bring back a tiny piece of that same feeling when I first found it.

The only thing I feel when I see people like you or the people who refuse to even give something a chance is pity that you may be denying yourself some possible enjoyment over something as petty as whether something is popular or not. Even that feeling is fleeting. It's your loss after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    I'm pretty sure the true "cringelord" is the one that uses that word as an actual thing.
    You feeling the need to say this makes me cringe.

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    What makes you think I would care if you watch Avatar or not? Doesn't effect my enjoyment of the series in the slightest. I will admit that I do get a kick out of introducing new things to others (be it tv series, movies, games, books, ect.) that they then go on to enjoy. It's fun seeing other people have fun. Watching them discover new things can even bring back a tiny piece of that same feeling when I first found it.

The only thing I feel when I see people like you or the people who refuse to even give something a chance is pity that you may be denying yourself some possible enjoyment over something as petty as whether something is popular or not. Even that feeling is fleeting. It's your loss after all.
    Yea I'm definitely missing out on not watching your precious anime. What a loss.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

Let's not attack other posters. Fandoms can be annoying, but believe it or not, 1) no one in this thread has been an annoying fanboy, and 2) even if they were, that's not a reason to lose civility.

Trailer, recommendations and genre. Unless it is utter shite i will give it three episodes to see if it is a keeper.

I think I prefer shows that feel/are uncensored and relatively brutal. I cant say genre, actors or any of that stuff is a deciding factor really..

I love GoT, obviously, like most people here I imagine. Season 7 was kind of shallow, it feels like there are too few episodes to really cover the story.
    That being said, I read all the books. In my opinion, it's easily the single greatest show of all time.

Spartacus, besides the poor CGI, I loved this show, pre-quel and season 1 were amazing, loved the story, brutality and gore, the acting was spot on. Season 2 was poor, Andy Whitfield lost to his cancer, RIP, amazing actor. His replacement wasn't quite able to fill his boots until season 3, the last fight had me on the edge of my seat. That doesn't happen often..

Narcos season 1 and 2 were very good, enjoyed every second of it. Not so much the 3'rd season, it just wasn't the same.

The Man in the High Castle, another amazing show, it had a few slow episodes, but the story was good, scenery, acting, everything was on point.

The most recent show that I just fucking loved is Marvel's The Punisher, I cant say enough good things about this show. Very surprised by this show, I didn't think Marvel
    could make something that i'd thoroughly enjoy and ask for more.. just give us season 2 already lol.

Black Sails, loved it right up until the last couple of episodes, where I felt they really dropped the ball. I especially hated the ending.

Down in the shitter we got popcorn "meh" shows like TWD, good filler when waiting for the good stuff I guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    Super easy, i check what episodes were released that week and if something looks interesting i give it a go. 2 - 3 episodes and im either hooked or not.

I find the recommendation software developed by a lot of the streaming services to be excellent. I have discovered many great shows simply through recommendation. Frontier & Turn: Washington's Spies are two of my favorites from the last few months that come to mind. I'd never have pursued these types of shows if left to my own devices.

Outside of that, I tend to follow what some of my friends recommend, especially if we have similar tastes.

If I'm still looking, I will take a favorite genre, check out reviews, and pick a show based on that.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    I'm beyond content never giving MLP or Steven Universe a chance. I'm glad they exist because I get enjoyment from knowing that I'll never be part of the fanbase to these shows. Pokemon came out when I was a kid, so I probably contributed to the cringey fanbase at the time.

See this is exactly why I wont watch Avatar. The fans are people like you who care about it to such a degree that they get legitimately bummed out when they find out someone else won't watch their crappy show. It's these same sad people that try to define the correct way to obtain enjoyment.

What if I get enjoyment when I see two cringelords talking about a show they love and I understand zero of the references? Then they get mad and rage because I won't give their show a chance? That's practically a live action show in itself.
    At a certain point though you just become the old guy who refused to ever listen to a Beatles record because they were too mainstream, or the original Star Wars trilogy because they were space fantasy. Sometimes you are legitimately missing out.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

If it looks good, I watch it. If it doesn't, I don't.

Deleted
    I always check out the reviews and actors..ask someone else with familiar taste for an opinion, check out the pilot and then decide

I'll watch a youtube trailer, if it seems semi decent Ill watch it,

Fuck the scores on rotten tomatoes or imdb

Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    I'll watch a youtube trailer, if it seems semi decent Ill watch it,

Fuck the scores on rotten tomatoes or imdb
    Trust the marketing department over fellow audience members and third party critics?

watch the trailer of checking out what currently is trending.

Oh its from HBO i better watch that.

Theme mostly.

Then you just try the first episode or a few more if needed and decide to keep watching or drop it.

7+ Year Old Account
    In general, for me, its completely random.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    Trust the marketing department over fellow audience members and third party critics?
    Yup,

Never listen to a critic (paid or not) outside of food reviews.

As for fellow audience reviews it's no different to critics bar being nameless and faceless not to mention a lot of shows get hammered by some audiences because they don't like a single aspect of the show or because they don't like the casting. It's also dead easy to post reviews and scores without watching anything to do with it

I'll know within an episode or two if it's worth watching