Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    This. The whole premise that in a world where everything has gone to shit, people are STILL trying to keep religion alive...I'd side with the bad guys too. Fuck all that nonsense.
    Did you even watch the movie? The bad guys were the ones after the bible, they wanted it so gary could rule the town ala pope style.

the point is that the badguys want to use religion to control people but don't really understand or have faith in it; the gary oldman character doesn't actually know anything about religion, he just thinks that the bible will somehow give him power over people

which is sort of the point of the film; as long as Eli has faith he can't be stopped, but as soon as he falters and/or becomes prideful stuff starts going terribly for him

anyway it's not actually that good a film, imo; it's pretty enough and shot stylistically, but the main character is a cipher and the girl/protege is annoying

Quote Originally Posted by Cheze View Post
    the point is that the badguys want to use religion to control people but don't really understand or have faith in it; the gary oldman character doesn't actually know anything about religion, he just thinks that the bible will somehow give him power over people
    This isnt completely true. Pretty sure he remembers pre-bang when people would go to church together and be a community. He wanted that for his own town to keep power and grow

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    sorry Denzel, but bullets say faith isn't a reasonable substitute for body armor.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

Quote Originally Posted by kasuke06 View Post
    sorry Denzel, but bullets say faith isn't a reasonable substitute for body armor.
    Pretty sure Arnold said the same thing in...what was that movie, the one where he was fighting the Anti-Chris, End Times or something like that? "Between your faith, and my 9mm...I'll stick with the Glock"

It was alright, Denzel's best roll is still training day imo.

I'd watch anything with Denzel, Mila and Oldham in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Deleted
    It wasn't awful, it suffered a lot from the fact that it was released at the same time as the road and was blown out of the water by it

Deleted
    Denzel Washington and Gary Oldman, both did a great job! I liked the way Eli can sense dangers and tell about things that he was sensing and being a really cool gunslinger! Whereas, Gary Oldman was pure evil, a coward of sorts but still powerful but then the fall shows how's he.

one of my fav movies def top 10 maybe 5. First time i saw it I didn't expect the religious twist but that made me enjoy it more.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    This isnt completely true. Pretty sure he remembers pre-bang when people would go to church together and be a community. He wanted that for his own town to keep power and grow
    He wasn't doing it out of love. He was doing it out of greed. One of the main parts in the movie he is explaining how he could quickly get more towns and territories to flock to his control because he could make himself a prophet figure.

Denzel Washington was the one who was trying to deliver the bible to the printing press so everybody could start having faith again and sharing the bible with everybody as opposed to being controlled by one manipulative man.

If you think about it it can show religion can be used for great evil as well as a source of inspiration.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    He wasn't doing it out of love. He was doing it out of greed. One of the main parts in the movie he is explaining how he could quickly get more towns and territories to flock to his control because he could make himself a prophet figure.

Denzel Washington was the one who was trying to deliver the bible to the printing press so everybody could start having faith again and sharing the bible with everybody as opposed to being controlled by one manipulative man.

If you think about it it can show religion can be used for great evil as well as a source of inspiration.
    Yeah I said he wanted it for power and for his community to grow. Didnt say anything about doing it for love.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Yeah I said he wanted it for power and for his community to grow. Didnt say anything about doing it for love.
    When I see community I tend to associate it with something positive. My apologies.

You have two amazing actors in Denzel and Oldman and somehow they made this utterly forgettable bland piece of crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Or they study at the same school the Storm Troopers went to.
    Has it not been proven that the Storm Troopers were letting them escape time and time again?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    When I see community I tend to associate it with something positive. My apologies.
    All good, your post was correct. He wanted to be the pope basically.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    This movie was recommended to me and I liked it, I think the reviews at the time were pretty poor but if you like Mad Max dystopian adventures you'll probably like this.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1037705/

1. great cast and the acting is top notch. If it wasn't for the actors I'm sure this would be a B movie at best. Even Eli going to the pawn shop to get his battery charged is amazing.

2. Denzel Washington being a badass old geezer

3. Gary Oldman as the villain, first rate performance, he stars in a lot of genre fiction but here he gets more of a role.

4. Eli experiences some personal growth.

5. The world is well done even though we've seen quite a few dystopias by now.

IMDB gives it a 6.9 but I would give it a 7.5, well worth watching if you don't have better plans.
    I thoroughly enjoyed the film - including the religious backdrop that was both the central theme and something that wasn't really addressed - the line they drew in the plot regarding this was brilliant.

Great cast, good script - excellent dystopian film.

(final end scene, with the girl, was a little odd but . . . )

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I thoroughly enjoyed it.

though I love Denzel, Gary and Ray as Actors. So it was a Win-Win-Win.

Mila Kunis is a babe aswell so that's another win.

An iPOD that old can hold more than a 5 minute charge? Sorry, huge immersion breaker!