Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaaz View Post
    Add the fact that if you use storage, you will have enormous energy losses (under 50% is the best non chemical storage I am aware of in terms of efficiency, best chemical is 90% -ish, but it is extremely expensive to run and totally not green).
    Some 96% of the grid connected storage existing today is pumped hydro. Round trip efficiency of pumped hydro is 70-80%.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Some 96% of the grid connected storage existing today is pumped hydro. Round trip efficiency of pumped hydro is 70-80%.
    Ugh... Not going to argue with that. For example, Dinorwig Power Station claims a 75% efficiency cycle. For some reason I was fixated on small scale storage that is less efficient. I really need to go to sleep . These things cost like a nuclear power station though. The Dinorwig Power Station has a 9GW total storage (9 hours of a single VVER-1000 running full capacity), and cost $5.6 billion in today's money. As I mentioned before, you can really build a 2.4 GW nuclear station for this amount. And it will not run out of juice in 4 hours. But yeah, I stand corrected. You can store 75% -ish with those.
    That actually got me thinking - 9GW is about the capacity that is needed for the OP solar plant to store 10 days of energy reserve. Guess they should add something like that to the bill.
    Last edited by Gaaz; 2017-12-23 at 02:50 AM.