Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account

2.4 ghz vs 5ghz wifi data

Hello,

I wasnt sure where to post this so i thought I'd try here. I couldnt find anything helpfull answers searching google so far. My question is for streaming videos or playing WoW does it use less data per hour on a 2.4 ghz wifi connection or 5ghz. My modem offers duel so i can chose to be on either versions. I'm in a small appartment so i just want to try and be connected to the wifi that will save the most data per hour.( video streaming i try and limit to 480 but chromecast seems to auto make it HD) Wifi devices , my laptop , chromecast , phone.

any help or insite would be very appriciated, or a website forum i should post this question on that would be more appropriate.

thank you again!

2.4 is going to be a better connection the further you get away from the wireless access point, it can penetrate walls better than 5ghz can due to the frequency. If you are close to the wireless access point (say the same room) the 5ghz is going to give you the better connection.

As for data per hour, either or. One will just be faster at downloading than the other depending on those instances.

5 for a close range direct line of sight with router, 2.4 if you need range and go through walls/floor, both do enough for wow, don't know enough about streaming personally.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    alrighty , thank you very much for the answer!

it is very appriciated.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Distance wise from the router, 2.4Ghz is slower but reaches further. 5Ghz is faster but dosen't go as far. ex: my iPhone when on 2.4Ghz will max out at about 80Mbps, while on the 5Ghz it will max out at 240Mbps. Neither will save on data, it's just a matter of how fast your connection will be, you'll still use the same amount of data.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    perfect thank you!

10+ Year Old Account
    Is there a 7.8ghz? Asking for a friend.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Go 5Ghz and test it for a few days. But wire the desktops, we're not savages

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Is there a 7.8ghz? Asking for a friend.
    Yes, for ultrasounds.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by dks View Post
    Hello,

I wasnt sure where to post this so i thought I'd try here. I couldnt find anything helpfull answers searching google so far. My question is for streaming videos or playing WoW does it use less data per hour on a 2.4 ghz wifi connection or 5ghz. My modem offers duel so i can chose to be on either versions. I'm in a small appartment so i just want to try and be connected to the wifi that will save the most data per hour.( video streaming i try and limit to 480 but chromecast seems to auto make it HD) Wifi devices , my laptop , chromecast , phone.

any help or insite would be very appriciated, or a website forum i should post this question on that would be more appropriate.

thank you again!
    What are you talking about saving data? I've lived in 6 different states in the USA in the last 10 years and I've never heard of charging by data used, I didn't know such a thing existed outside of phones.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruor View Post
    What are you talking about saving data? I've lived in 6 different states in the USA in the last 10 years and I've never heard of charging by data used, I didn't know such a thing existed outside of phones.
    I live in toledo, ohio and buckeye cable is the major internet/ tv provider with acual decent speeds( my apartment unfortunetly can't get AT&T). Their internet plans have data caps attatched to them, so mine is 350g per month. If I go over 350g in a month I pay a fee for each 50g of data more I use till the next month. The price for the plans are not bad until the promotional year ends then its pretty pricey.

They're both different frequencies for the communication between your router and your equipments at home.
    Neither of them is going to affect your amount of used data.
    (unless your internet is cutting on one of them and you have to constantly reload etc.)

5ghz has a higher maximum speed than the 2.4ghz band.
    It however doesn't penetrate through material as well as the 2.4ghz so you'll lose more db of signal. Another advantage due to this though is that it is less prone to interference from neighbor's wifi signal.
    All in all it will probably still get superior speed to the 2.4ghz even if you have fewer bars as long as it's not at a range where it is starting to become unstable.

In most installations on the 2.4ghz you probably won't go much higher than maybe 40mbps.
    With the N norm most equipments can reach 90mbps or so on the 5ghz and even higher speed if your equipments are AC.
    Last edited by DarkAztaroth; 2017-12-20 at 02:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAztaroth View Post
    They're both different frequencies for the communication between your router and your equipments at home.
    (unless your internet is cutting on one of them and you have to constantly reload etc.)

It however doesn't penetrate through material as well as the 2.4ghz so you'll lose more db of signal. Another advantage due to this though is that it is less prone to interference from neighbor's wifi signal.
    All in all it will probably still get superior speed to the 2.4ghz even if you have fewer bars as long as it's not at a range where it is starting to become unstable.

In most installations on the 2.4ghz you probably won't go much higher than maybe 40mbps.
    With the N norm most equipments can reach 90mbps or so on the 5ghz and even higher speed if your equipments are AC.
    In addition to that Windows 10 is able to switch frequency on the fly if the router supports the function and both Frequencies need to have the same SSID.
    If the connection is stable in the 5GHz band than 5GHz is used. If it is not than windows changes to 2.4GHz without the user ever noticing.
    Last edited by Geschan; 2017-12-20 at 02:50 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAztaroth View Post

Just re-quoting this to emphasize the correct answer.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

7+ Year Old Account
    5 GHz is faster, but has shorter range and doesn't penetrate solid materials as well. 2.4 GHz has more range, but is slower. Either is FAR more bandwidth than WOW needs, however. Latency will be the same (barring situations where you are barely in range of 5 GHz but well within range of 2.4).

My question is for streaming videos or playing WoW does it use less data per hour on a 2.4 ghz wifi connection or 5ghz.
    I'm not sure what you mean by this. The difference is from your device to your router, after that the traffic looks the same. Neither will use less data than the other.
    If you live in a big apartment building, most people are probably using 2.4GHz, which leads to the channels being saturated and this can lower the connection quality. In a lot of cases 5GHz may be better.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2017-12-20 at 07:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I get charged for data if I go over my cap. There’s only 2 internet providers in my area, and the other one has slow speeds (but it is free). It sucks, but I won’t be here forever.
    Where are you, and what is the base price of the plan if you don't mind me asking? I am in shock, like I honestly didn't know such a thing existed outside of satellite internet which sucks anyway. I move every 1-3 years for my job but I get to choose from several locations, I need to know places to watch out for.

- - - Updated - - -

I live in toledo, ohio and buckeye cable is the major internet/ tv provider with acual decent speeds( my apartment unfortunetly can't get AT&T). Their internet plans have data caps attatched to them, so mine is 350g per month. If I go over 350g in a month I pay a fee for each 50g of data more I use till the next month. The price for the plans are not bad until the promotional year ends then its pretty pricey.
    What is the base price for 350G? I guess 350G isn't so bad, unless I had games to download.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I currently live in Kansas. I’m paying $135 a month for 105 mpbs, with a 1TB data cap. When I go over, I have to pay $10 for every 10 GB.
    WOW. I pay 70/month in Maryland (don't like it here) for 150 mbps. I was jealous of my friend who pays 80 for like 800 mbps for his fiber connection. The 1TB cap isn't bad though... if you go over that you are doing something out of the ordinary. I don't think I could even find 1TB worth of games and movies to download a month if they were all free.