Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Merge survival and be into a brain dead Melee spec. Bring back MoP or WoD survival

Firstly I just want to point out this was one of the specs I was really looking forward to when it was first showcased. However, this spec simply (imo) just plain, outright, terrible. It doesn't seem like Blizz knows what it wants Survival to be.

The spec is just way too clunky and you have to put way too much work in, as compared to other melee specs doing similar dps with far less frustration. I will admit if you're one of the folks who can pull it off, I freaking salute you! But survival to me just seems like a bunch of ideas strewn together at the last moment. The spec is supposed to be a master of traps and tracking, yet is centered around this... build/dump mechanic (not sure how best to say it). Just doesn't seem to exemplify what the spec says on the cover.

First, I think either Lacerate or Mongoose bite should be removed (and thereby the talents associated with them modified to suite something better). Way of the Mok'Nathol drives me nuts, just too clunky and "feels" like you have to spend too much time getting it going again if it should fall off for whatever reason. Even compared to other classes, like enhance shaman, who share a maintaining buffs mechanic.

The traps are terrible, very small triggering boxes and terrible to use if you ever find yourself in a confined space. And with the squirrely tanks I play with I can't tell you how many times shit just goes walking away from where I just threw the damn thing. I'd go as far as to suggest making Dragonsfire grenade the replacement to explosive trap. As a matter of fact, I'd prefer to see the spec be rolled into a sort of gadgeteer. With greater influence on the mechanical side of hunters. I mean why in the heck does the trap master's mastery be based around your pet, and wtf is up with us having a talent that summons a serpent and not BM?

I know it's a lot to gripe about without tangible or well thought out solutions (I get it I know) but this spec to me should be thrown in a dumpster fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Duorunt View Post

I know it's a lot to gripe about without tangible or well thought out solutions (I get it I know) but this spec to me should be thrown in a dumpster fire.
    I was really excited for new survival as well, but the more I thought about it the more I felt like BM would've been a much better choice for the melee spec. It feels like they just didn't want to make unholy dk v2.0 so they cobbled together something for survival instead. Maybe one day i'll be able to play a white lion type spec without having to have a ghoul pet... q_q

No compromises, revert survival to ranged. No one rolled a hunter to play melee.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like my survival hunter, my only problem is that they added the artifact ability to the global cool-down, making the spec a little more wonky.

Note: IMHO its a hard spec to play and it makes you check a lot of things at the same time, that's not bad, imho its good the details is that it doesn't really have things to show you your buffs as other classes (so you always looking at the top right of the screen)

Quote Originally Posted by Maxilian View Post
    (so you always looking at the top right of the screen)
    You should really consider using Addons like TellMeWhen or Weakauras2 if that's a concern to you.

Quote Originally Posted by TOM_RUS View Post
    Just revert it to ranged and problem fixed.
    This.

/10 shin han

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by andreasels View Post
    You should really consider using Addons like TellMeWhen or Weakauras2 if that's a concern to you.
    Yeah, i was thinking on downloading them, but for some reason i never end up doing that (It kinds of bother me that a class need an addon to be fully playable)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashcrack View Post
    I was really excited for new survival as well, but the more I thought about it the more I felt like BM would've been a much better choice for the melee spec. It feels like they just didn't want to make unholy dk v2.0 so they cobbled together something for survival instead. Maybe one day i'll be able to play a white lion type spec without having to have a ghoul pet... q_q
    I agree, matter of fact wasn't Survival said at one point to be the "melee pet spec"? Swore Watcher said that in an interview. Cause I mean, UH Dk's do exist

I, like many others here, miss the Survival Hunter from MoP. Hunter was one of my favorite classes from Wotlk to MoP and I genuinely enjoyed survival. This expansion I've barely touched the class. Played MM a bit but not much at all.

To get the exact Survival spec from MoP is probably too much to ask for, but I really wish they improve it and make it more enjoyable than it is now. Also make it ranged.

I wish they would just come out and say what their intentions for the spec are. Wether it stays melee or reverts back to a range class has got to be something they have decided on by now. Right?

I doubt it's going back to a rdps anytime soon. Blizz loves to double down, and with their announcement of no major changes, it will probably stay melee all thru BfA and possibly the next xpac before they would consider reverting it.

Quote Originally Posted by last1214 View Post
    I wish they would just come out and say what their intentions for the spec are. Wether it stays melee or reverts back to a range class has got to be something they have decided on by now. Right?
    Ion said during a q&a that they’re commited to making melee SV work. I was supremely dissapointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeymoo View Post
    Ion said during a q&a that they’re commited to making melee SV work. I was supremely dissapointed.
    idk how a melee spec will ever work when it not only competes with tons of other melee, but also ranged hunters which are always in demand and useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeymoo View Post
    Wow that is supremely disappointing =(

Yeah I think they would have said something by now if it was going back as a ranged spec. I had supper high hopes we would get something similar to Alleria's shadow hunter theme. Guess not =,(
    Last edited by last1214; 2018-01-25 at 06:52 AM.

You know, ive seen this post sitting here for awhile....and one thing bugs me.
    Half the community isn't split about loving/hating it. Its more like 1 out of every 10 hunters is "meh" towards, less even play it seriously. Ive found 2 hunters who like it. Both never played hunter even once before this xpac, and one of them didn't even have his surv weapon, he just said he liked it. Based off personal interaction, chats on numerous discord, post on about every forum/hunter forum, id say the community isn't split in half over loving/hating it. Its like 5% like (and ill give them credit, they are pretty loud), a couple more percent have neutral feelings or don't care and everyone else wants it to go back to range.

Anyways, I hope it returns to range....or a shadow hunter theme would be neat. Also hoping MM goes back to a steay shot based build. But at this point, I am not holding my breath.
    Last edited by Rabbit; 2018-01-25 at 11:50 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I’ve explained this to a couple people but it will never go back ranged as much as we want it. Blizzard has to stick with their terrible decision no matter how many people dislike it. One big reason is the artifact weapon. People would cry that they would lose those x mogs and blizzard isn’t going to redesign new ones when they already put some effort in the current ones. That’s going to be a big deal for those 5% of people who like the spec and they would cry if they lost what they worked for all of legion. Another reason is basically that blizzard won’t admit they made a mistake and will just keep trying to throw bandaids on survival to try to make it presentable. Nothing will happen it will still be a spec no one plays especially hunters. It might be a meme for a tier every now and then and do broken damage. but even if that were the case then the flavor of the month melee players would be the majority playing the spec. Overall the spec is doomed for us hunters.
    Last edited by Kissthebaby; 2018-01-25 at 04:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    FF14 > WoW. Not an opinion, that's facts.
    I hope they give survival lone wolf.

Quote Originally Posted by threadz View Post
    idk how a melee spec will ever work when it not only competes with tons of other melee, but also ranged hunters which are always in demand and useful.
    This is an important thing to consider for people who think that with enough time and polish Survival will eventually be as popular as the other Hunter specs. Survival Hunters are basically banking on Survival being eventually populated over time by new players who know nothing about the whole ranged-to-melee debacle (see: Hazzikostas' "intriguing option for new players" comment). But no matter how long they wait around for Survival to become appealing again you will always have this situation where you have a melee option alongside the only two specs in the game that used a ranged weapon. BM and MM are just so much more unique than SV and I'd imagine that translates to being much, much more interesting and appealing to new players.

After seeing todays data mining for BfA, Survival is going back to ranged with the ability to go melee through talents to something similar to Legion Survival.
    Noirluna the Immortal of Proudmoore