Page 1 of 5
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    What is the worst subculture in videogames?

    Videogames cover a lot of fanbases and subcultures. This can also lead to a lot of douchebags. Question here is which do you think is worse? Theres plenty to choose from. Griefers/server raiders, lockbox addicts who get very angry and defensive about their problem, the 'i'm robin hood proving the games flaws' cheaters with a hero complex to name a few.

    Personally my most hated subculture is the "extreme collectors" that often tend to gravitate mostly around NES game collecting. The extremes of which involve people creating fake personas to scam kids dying of cancer, hiring hitmen to try and stop ebay auctions and commonly in europe hiring russian and chinese immigrants looking to get money for food to search flea markets for games the collectors already own so they can destroy them and 'increase the value of my investment'.

    Last year there was a huge drama on display from them when a lone dude tired of their scumbag monopoly on the american NES collector circuit revealed had had cases of sealed NES games and was going to sell them all for a dollar as long as the buyer signed a contract to say they would open them play them and romdump them instead of sealing them in acrylic or something equally strange like the typical hardcore NES collectors do. Some of these games were estimated to be less than half a dozen in number in the wild before this and selling for up to 30,000 dollars each. Needless to say the same douchebags went crazy and tried to have him sued, threatened to kill him for 'crashing investments' and actually went on imageboards like 4chan trying to rally a hatemob against the guy for 'being an enemy of capitalism'.

    It really cemented for me that, especially if you love retro games, these collectors are massive doucehbags and stand out for me as the worst subculture in gaming bar none.

    Can you name something worse?
    http://theeorzeanfrontier.blogspot.co.uk/ Neckbeard rambling about this weeaboo trash

  2. #2
    Weeb Queen Video Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Portland (send help)
    Posts
    14,631
    Either the casuals who bitch about everything being toxic or streamers and their followers

  3. #3
    The Lightbringer Archmage Alodi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Halls Of The Guardian
    Posts
    3,772
    Tryhard noobs
    THE HORDE WILL ENDURE , THE HORDE IS STRONG!

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Either the casuals who bitch about everything being toxic or streamers and their followers
    to add to this

    people who think their opinion = end all be all of the discussion.

  5. #5
    The immediate thought that stood out to me was the competitive gaming scene as a whole. In almost every other competitive format people at the least give their opponents a token level of human respect, but somehow online culture has created the most vile form of human competition I can even think of in the modern day. It's the least welcoming, most self-destructive community I've seen. If I were to get more specific it gets worse and worse, but I don't even need to.

  6. #6
    Herald of the Titans
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    America, F*** yeah.
    Posts
    2,655
    name-brand people.

    "Oh it's the first new IP X has released in a while, heap praise and awards on it even though it's not all that good, and it's not even a somewhat original game."
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

  7. #7
    1)frequent forum posters, especially the opinionated ones

    2)anti-social mid skill players who dramatically overestimate their skill (the kind who always has a couple of excuses ready for their medicore performance and it mostly involves his team 'sucking')

    3)sore losers/flamers

    i suspect there's strong connection between those 3 groups, in fact they're probably one

  8. #8
    Weeb Queen Video Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Portland (send help)
    Posts
    14,631
    Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post
    The immediate thought that stood out to me was the competitive gaming scene as a whole. In almost every other competitive format people at the least give their opponents a token level of human respect, but somehow online culture has created the most vile form of human competition I can even think of in the modern day. It's the least welcoming, most self-destructive community I've seen. If I were to get more specific it gets worse and worse, but I don't even need to.
    This poster was basically what I'm talking about. Don't you think it's funny the pros aren't the ones who have a problem with it, but the casuals on the outside?

  9. #9
    The Unstoppable Force Arrashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Posts
    22,802
    The "hypers" - aka people who get super hyped over everything, and lack any form of critical thinking, allowing industry to pull all the BS they are pulling nowadays.

  10. #10
    Banned GennGreymane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Wokeville mah dood
    Posts
    45,475
    Anyone who sucks the fun out of a hobby thats about fun.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    This poster was basically what I'm talking about. Don't you think it's funny the pros aren't the ones who have a problem with it, but the casuals on the outside?
    Except that many competitive gamers including myself will also tell you that the competitive gaming community is wretched.

    I used to be almost exclusively competitive, I'm not speaking as someone from the outside.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    This poster was basically what I'm talking about. Don't you think it's funny the pros aren't the ones who have a problem with it, but the casuals on the outside?
    It's because of anonymity, not because of skill. People don't shit talk each other during games in high school sports on the court or field to the extent that randoms do in online video games. Sure, there is some trash talking, but even pros do it professional sports. Can find plenty of clips from the NBA of players talking shit to each other, and esports pros can be highly toxic as well. It's just human nature, but doing so behind a screen takes it to a whole different level.

  13. #13
    Weeb Queen Video Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Portland (send help)
    Posts
    14,631
    Quote Originally Posted by Amerrol View Post
    It's because of anonymity, not because of skill. People don't shit talk each other during games in high school sports on the court or field to the extent that randoms do in online video games. Sure, there is some trash talking, but even pros do it professional sports. Can find plenty of clips from the NBA of players talking shit to each other, and esports pros can be highly toxic as well. It's just human nature, but doing so behind a screen takes it to a whole different level.
    Pros don't have anonymity. Their names and faces are everywhere for brand recognition. Again, the people least affected by their behavior are the only ones who have a problem with it.

  14. #14

  15. #15
    Any subculture that has online communities. AKA: all of them.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Zarupia View Post
    The EA supporters
    Scratch that, Dev company shills.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Pros don't have anonymity. Their names and faces are everywhere for brand recognition. Again, the people least affected by their behavior are the only ones who have a problem with it.
    And that was my point. Pros don't take it to the levels that randoms behind a screen do because of recognition. Even high school sports, which can be compared to a ranked ladder in online games or something, don't take it to those levels, and they are on a similar skill level compared to their respective pros. Sportman like behavior is stressed in all levels of traditional sports, not so much in online games.

    Your point was, if I'm not mistaken, that pros don't have this issue because they're good at the game. Casuals aren't, so they get shit talked by players who take the game more seriously. Neither of those is 100% true, and I'd argue that skill has less of an impact then anonymity, which can be seen in high school sports, where people aren't constantly berating each other and telling someone to kill themselves for missing a shot.

  17. #17
    Epic! Uoyredrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere, USA
    Posts
    1,675
    People who whine excessively over nothing, bitch that they lost in a game so it's full of hackers and cheaters, whine that the devs aren't putting all the fixes they want in the game, and sit there and personally insult the devs and try to tear them down because they're unhappy. Can't stand that shit.

  18. #18
    Weeb Queen Video Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Portland (send help)
    Posts
    14,631
    Quote Originally Posted by Amerrol View Post
    And that was my point. Pros don't take it to the levels that randoms behind a screen do because of recognition. Even high school sports, which can be compared to a ranked ladder in online games or something, don't take it to those levels, and they are on a similar skill level compared to their respective pros. Sportman like behavior is stressed in all levels of traditional sports, not so much in online games.

    Your point was, if I'm not mistaken, that pros don't have this issue because they're good at the game. Casuals aren't, so they get shit talked by players who take the game more seriously. Neither of those is 100% true, and I'd argue that skill has less of an impact then anonymity, which can be seen in high school sports, where people aren't constantly berating each other and telling someone to kill themselves for missing a shot.
    If you don't want to be called a nigger faggot by some tryhard on lol, then get good and get out of pugs ans If you find that language morally reprehensible, then don't participate, but that's the way gaming culture has evolved and saying wah wah it's toxicccccc is stupid. It's just words and you if don't have the spine to adapt to the culture, then that's on you.

  19. #19
    The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    The Lookout
    Posts
    20,691
    People that say they hate a certain game, but instead of just finding a new game, they demand that the game they hate be changed to suit them.

  20. #20
    Warchief Mekkle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    My desk, Lurkin'.
    Posts
    2,195
    Professional starcraft 2 players, feels like they have no personality or soul to speak of,

    The entire elf community is probably worse for me, nothing is ever enough for them.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •