Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Elemental vs Enhancement

Is Elemental REALLY that much better than Enhancement right now?
    I feel like I'm cranking out some sick numbers on my Enh Shaman and I'm only 908 ilvl and no Legendaries at all.
    Bursting to about 1.7M and sustaining around 900k-1M on lengthier fights.

But as far as raiding in Antorus, how much higher is Elemental ranking?

Quote Originally Posted by th0r1369 View Post
    I feel like I'm cranking out some sick numbers on my Enh Shaman and I'm only 908 ilvl and no Legendaries at all.

Depends on what level of raiding you really want to do. Im 953 elemental and pull above 1.4m solid dps, 2.5-3m burst however the other night I just couldn't for the life of me beat a 945 enhance shaman on any boss in H Antorus.

Granted im missing both of my BiS legendaries tho
    "If you don't know who I am -- then maybe your best course is to tread lightly." - W.W.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Doing anything other than ST as enhancement is the worst
    Ah okay I can understand that. I haven't played enhance since .. hmm ..... I think Dragon Soul. And now that I think about it I did wreck the enhance guy on Eonar and Portalmaster.
    "If you don't know who I am -- then maybe your best course is to tread lightly." - W.W.

For AoE? Yes.
    For ST? Probably not.

Especially in ST elemental lacks a ton of damage if you aren't lucky with the gambling build. Enhancement has relatively good sustained dps and also very high burst spikes just through Doom Winds. The only fights where elemental should pull ahead is AoE based or multi-dot heavy, which nets you extra singletarget DPS via Lava Burst procs.

Both are relatively viable if you aren't a cutting edge raider.
    Sometimes streaming on Twitch.tv, leave me a follow or a message if you like!

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    *tips m'fedora*

M'lady if you would be so kind to slob me knob seeing as I held this door open for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unless you are doing cutting edge top 100 guild raiding. Play what ever the fuck you want.
    Aye mate

Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    Unless you are doing cutting edge top 100 guild raiding. Play what ever the fuck you want.
    lol <3 this response

I'm in a heroic raiding guild, some dabble in mythic.

I don't particularly want to play Elemental, I enjoy Enhancement. So I think I'll stay Enhance!

Thank you very much for the insight everyone!

enhance can't lose to an ele 1v1 on ST since enhance is basically the strongest ST class in the game atm, and elemental falls over as soon as it has to move or gets average rng or bad, you need sick rng to just stay with 10%.

15+ Year Old Account
    The advice I always give in this situation is have both specs at the ready. I know you'll want to focus one for legendaries (ENH if that's your goal for Antorus), but switching to ELE for fights like Eonar or Portal Keeper can be beneficial to your raid team. Anything that's mostly a single target fight, ENH will shine. Anything that's a good cleave fight with lots of adds, ELE will be your better choice. Using myself as an example, I have my ENH at 76 traits and my ELE at 73 (working on 75 at the moment) so I'll be ready to go for whatever my team needs.

Oh! And it also depends on the difficulty you plan on pushing. If you're just running normal, you can stay ENH for the entire thing. The adds on Eonar are dead in seconds, so going ELE doesn't really matter unless you don't have enough ranged to deal with Bats. I just did a fun run normal Antorus with some non-core raiding guildies yesterday (yay holidays) and the big guys on Eonar were already under 60% health before they could even be tanked (and the adds melted even faster). As ELE, you might get 2-3 casts off if you're lucky on the small adds before they're gone, so just stay ENH.

Quote Originally Posted by Aoyi View Post
    The advice I always give in this situation is have both specs at the ready. I know you'll want to focus one for legendaries (ENH if that's your goal for Antorus), but switching to ELE for fights like Eonar or Portal Keeper can be beneficial to your raid team. Anything that's mostly a single target fight, ENH will shine. Anything that's a good cleave fight with lots of adds, ELE will be your better choice. Using myself as an example, I have my ENH at 76 traits and my ELE at 73 (working on 75 at the moment) so I'll be ready to go for whatever my team needs.

Oh! And it also depends on the difficulty you plan on pushing. If you're just running normal, you can stay ENH for the entire thing. The adds on Eonar are dead in seconds, so going ELE doesn't really matter unless you don't have enough ranged to deal with Bats. I just did a fun run normal Antorus with some non-core raiding guildies yesterday (yay holidays) and the big guys on Eonar were already under 60% health before they could even be tanked (and the adds melted even faster). As ELE, you might get 2-3 casts off if you're lucky on the small adds before they're gone, so just stay ENH.
    Just sticking with Heroic.

I only have the Farseer Ring at the moment. I'd like to get more Enh legendaries.

I think I'm going to just stick with enh, my guilds raid team's cleave is pretty nice already.

Thanks for the input!

15+ Year Old Account
    Just sticking with Heroic.

I only have the Farseer Ring at the moment. I'd like to get more Enh legendaries.

I think I'm going to just stick with enh, my guilds raid team's cleave is pretty nice already.

Thanks for the input!
    No problem and best of luck!

I have all three specs at 75+ right now. I've switched over to Ele at this point... Only because my raid group is very melee heavy. From my perspective, both are solid in the hands of a competent player. As others have said Enh shines on single target, Ele on multi-target. Play what you like... all three (resto included) are very viable specs at this point.

Well. They both seem to perform pretty good now, but I've stuck with elemental this patch as its alot more fun than enhancement for me. I've tried and i have good legendaries for enhancement but my just cant seem to get decent dps as it. I can usally learn specs pretty fast, but not enhacement for some reason.

TLDR; Play what you want.

They're both made of paper and have another class that does what they do but better. Shaman is bacially the dark souls fo wow classes because every boss can one shot you with a fart. Pick your poison.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Volrog View Post
    They're both made of paper and have another class that does what they do but better. Shaman is bacially the dark souls fo wow classes because every boss can one shot you with a fart. Pick your poison.
    This pretty much. I've been meddling with Enhancement all of this ex.pack (as my main) and it has not been a steady ride. Single target dmg is excellent atm as enha, but elemental is miles ahead on cleave/AoE (and in myth+ content too). Elem isn't bad at all on ST and imo most of the guilds on higher advance are going for elem. Might be wrong, so take it easy. You pick what fits your niche.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorbus View Post
    This pretty much. I've been meddling with Enhancement all of this ex.pack (as my main) and it has not been a steady ride. Single target dmg is excellent atm as enha, but elemental is miles ahead on cleave/AoE (and in myth+ content too). Elem isn't bad at all on ST and imo most of the guilds on higher advance are going for elem. Might be wrong, so take it easy. You pick what fits your niche.
    Not really, Enhance is miles ahead on ST, and nowadays, that is what is important. Very few raid boss are aoe. Eonar is a joke, Hazabel, you need ST damage to kill mini boss. Only High command, we could say that aoe is important.

In mm+, in tyrannical week or even grievous one, you do not want to bring a elemetal shaman in your group.

Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    Not really, Enhance is miles ahead on ST, and nowadays, that is what is important. Very few raid boss are aoe. Eonar is a joke, Hazabel, you need ST damage to kill mini boss. Only High command, we could say that aoe is important.

In mm+, in tyrannical week or even grievous one, you do not want to bring a elemetal shaman in your group.
    While I completely agree that AoE is nearly useless in raid (I would argue portal keeper is the only fight where it is needed - because you want to leave as few people down as possible; and even then, ele is at the mercy of where imps spawn for CL bounces), saying you don't want ele for M+ is deff wrong.

Firstly, both specs have basically no survivability, but ele is ranged, which helps often. Secondly, even on tyrannical weeks, an ele will put out more overall damage in almost all dungeons. And finally on bursting weeks (I'm guessing you meant bursting and not grievous?) it is usually better to just AoE ham and CD high stacks, ensuring not to reset the debuff, than it is to ST mobs down.

That's not to say enh is bad in M+, you'd do fine as either, but enh is just another ST melee with low survivability, which is low demand.

If you are looking to play one spec for raiding, I would go enh.
    If you are looking to play one spec for M+, I would go ele.

7+ Year Old Account
    At this point, you should just play what you really prefer. You could play both specs but then you need 2 sets of gear and legendaries, plus you have the pantheon trinks to consider unless you are lucky and get aman'thuls. Most fights favour Enh in terms of raw output, but I guess it depends on your setup, you might need more range. Regardless, even if you were in a good guild clearing mythic, you are not going to cause issues by playing the "weaker" spec because both are fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    This is basically my gaming philosophy in MMOs since I never ever really cared about the bleeding edge

There are 2 enhancement shaman in my guild that are 940il and they pull 1.8M dps i dont know how... I havent looked more into it but just from it I can tell their single target is far superior. Even their cleave*
    Last edited by lummiuster; 2018-01-15 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by caballitomalo View Post
    For anything other than world 1st cutting edge raiding and/or mythic+ invitational race; just play the class better suited to your taste. Who cares if class x does 2.48674% more dps than you on AoE fights? Raiding is a group effort, be good at your spec, dont die and keep at it until the group wins.

Dont become a self proclaimed hardcore raider. You know, those that complain that their class/spec is "unviable" and they get "benched" all the time because of it.

Pick the class/spec you like the most and enjoy raiding for what it is, a fun group activity thats very rewarding and share it with your guild. Remember to 99+% of the players in this game choice of class and spec is a matter of personal taste.
    I'm not a hardcore raider. The guild is on Aggramar, I'm unlikely to get in for that and Argus is out of the question without an immunity. I wasn't in for Coven either because its a ranged fight. We aren't competing for world first, but the fights are just so comp dependant theres no room for enhance unless you have no other choice. I wish they would just give everyone an immunity or just remove them from the game.

I'm just tired of this BS attitude that everything is fine.