Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanden View Post
    Justify 300$+ with a single game? Personally, I wouldn't go under five interesting games. At all I do not care who makes the console, the game selection makes or breaks it.

The problem with a newcomer is that he would need massive funds to get on par tech with rivals for multi-plattform and some exclusives rolling otherwise there is not much hope to stay. How many companies would try it after seeing how much Microsoft invested?
    Yup, which is why I don't own any consoles. There are "interesting" console exclusives but nothing that justifies the price for me thus far. "Interesting" Is a hard sell, it'd take more than just having 5 games that seem interesting for me to invest, I'd need to know I was getting my moneys worth.

I bought a n3ds purely for the two monster hunter games I played on it, I bought a few other games here and there just for the sake of it but really the thing was bought for that 1 series. I would have bought a switch if they announced a monster hunter title for it right off the bat.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victoria View Post
    Greetings, champions! Good to see you, as always. Happy new year to everyone!

So, I've been thinking: During the 80's and 90's, the gaming market had a lot of "competition" - you could buy a console from a lot of different companies: Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Commodore, Atari, Mattel Electronics, Phillips, and many, many others. After the year 2000, the gaming market was reduced to Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo, with PC Gaming slowly being controlled by Steam.

My question to you is: If a newcomer were to launch a new console nowadays, would you be willing to buy it? Or would you keep buying consoles from the standard developers?

Let's say that this "new console" would have some 3rd party games, some interesting exclusive games and some new kind of tech, to make it fair.
    im not willing to buy a console.. from anyone. #PCMR

If the price is decent and they got decent exclusives sure.

I got my PS4 for Multiplat titles and exclusive and any other console I buy will be for the exclusives on that platform only.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victoria View Post
    Greetings, champions! Good to see you, as always. Happy new year to everyone!

So, I've been thinking: During the 80's and 90's, the gaming market had a lot of "competition" - you could buy a console from a lot of different companies: Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Commodore, Atari, Mattel Electronics, Phillips, and many, many others. After the year 2000, the gaming market was reduced to Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo, with PC Gaming slowly being controlled by Steam.

My question to you is: If a newcomer were to launch a new console nowadays, would you be willing to buy it? Or would you keep buying consoles from the standard developers?

Let's say that this "new console" would have some 3rd party games, some interesting exclusive games and some new kind of tech, to make it fair.
    Yes but the main competition was Nintendo, Sony and Sega. Nintendo with the N64, Sony with the PS1 and Sega with the Dreamcast although Sega eventually discontinued it.

The CDi, 3DO and Jaguar among others didn't do well in the market in terms of competition because they tried to be bigger than they were (Jaguar trying to be clever with the 64 bit marketing and having underwhelming games such as Cybermorph and Kausmi Ninja), The CDi being the leftover scraps of the SNES-CD project and not having any big names towards it and the 3DO was a stupid price so why buy into that when there were cheaper alternatives?

Now the Neo Geo had good games and pretty decent home ports of it's arcade games but again like the 3DO the price was just too steep for the entry. Hell Samurai Shodown is one of my most favorite SNK games of all time.

But on topic for the sake of collecting yes I would. I own a large amount of consoles partly for collecting but I do play them from time to time.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2018-01-01 at 09:20 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Haven't owned a console since the original Nintendo. So, no.

A console w/o games is a useless piece of hardware.

So they'll have to have partnership agreements w/ various big studios that will develop exclusive games for said platform. And even then, I won't be an early adopter.