Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

My shopping list, will it be good?

http://a.co/3Nxhhye

I am looking to stream using either OBS or Xsplit and I really don't want my system to tank, also with the SSD will that be enough for Windows 10, Overwatch, Hearthstone and WoW? (I have a 1 TB HD for other programs and such)(Monitor is just a 60hz to view websites and twitch chat).
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people - Martin Luther King, Jr.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's fine other than the lack of GPU & PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by Seefer View Post
    http://a.co/3Nxhhye

I am looking to stream using either OBS or Xsplit and I really don't want my system to tank, also with the SSD will that be enough for Windows 10, Overwatch, Hearthstone and WoW? (I have a 1 TB HD for other programs and such)(Monitor is just a 60hz to view websites and twitch chat).
    You bought a ton of overpriced parts. Intel does better in all of those games...

What resolution do you play at?
    Last edited by Varvara Spiros Gelashvili; 2018-01-01 at 11:25 AM.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

Im with @foofoocuddlypoopz

I would get the Intel 8700k (same price) and a good Z370.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by foofoocuddlypoopz View Post
    You bought a ton of overpriced parts. Intel does better in all of those games...

What resolution do you play at?
    I am also looking to multi-task, stream, Spotify, Discord.............I play at 1920x1080
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people - Martin Luther King, Jr.

I am also looking to multi-task, stream, Spotify, Discord.............I play at 1920x1080
    Intels 8700k will handle it as good or better than AMDs 1800x

15+ Year Old Account
    From your very article it most sincerely does not.

Whilst it keeps game framerates higher it actually still loses out to a stock R7 1700 in high quality streaming scenarios.
    Both can overclock but in terms of streaming performance the gain is considerably better on a Ryzen 7 platform because of the extra threads/horsepower.

Either which way both will do perfectly fine and if @Seefer wants to overclock the Ryzen 7 1700 to 3,9 - 4,0GHz the gains are considerably better on the AMD platform because of the very nature of streaming.
    Considering the gear he's willing to get he's not wanting to do this thing lightly.

If he prefers game performance over the quality of his stream -> Intel is your CPU.
    If he prefers the quality of his stream over game performance -> AMD is your CPU.

This is clearly shown in the very graphs you posted where overall on a higher quality stream the AMD Ryzen build drops sometimes CONSIDERABLY less frames for encoding, streaming loves threads over speed were games are the opposite.

Neither are bad choices but rather than advocating something blindly actually look at what the person is asking and willing to do.

The best way is to have both an Intel build for gaming and a Ryzen build for encoding but that's considerably more expensive because it's 2 systems.
    But it brings the best of both worlds to his doorstep.

But depending on his desire, in essence being a streamer over a gamer, the AMD Ryzen build with an overclock is a better choice.

Your signature is ironic in this regard.
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."
    - Kirito, Sword Art Online Abridged by Something Witty Entertainment

First off, yeah, the games FPS is higher, but the stream will be better on the Ryzen.

Second, let's wait and see what the Windows Patch does to intel performance now that this security bug is out. It's rumored to hurt intel performance on Windows PCs by up to 30%. While personally I doubt it will be that high and it appears to not affect gaming too much, it will certainly hurt streaming I would think. The Ryzen's could end up even more attractive after the patch.

Personally, I would wait for the Windows patch and benchmarks after it before making any sort of CPU purchase. It could end up not hurting anything or not affecting gaming at all, but i would wait to be sure.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    First off, yeah, the games FPS is higher, but the stream will be better on the Ryzen.

Second, let's wait and see what the Windows Patch does to intel performance now that this security bug is out. It's rumored to hurt intel performance on Windows PCs by up to 30%. While personally I doubt it will be that high and it appears to not affect gaming too much, it will certainly hurt streaming I would think. The Ryzen's could end up even more attractive after the patch.

Personally, I would wait for the Windows patch and benchmarks after it before making any sort of CPU purchase. It could end up not hurting anything or not affecting gaming at all, but i would wait to be sure.
    It looks like the patch affects all x86 CPU's, including AMD ones. At least for Linux (so far), Ryzen users will be able to share that sweet 30% performance hit

Update, 10:56 PM - 1/2/18 - As it turns out, apparently the Linux patch that is being rolled out is for ALL x86 processors including AMD, and the Linux mainline kernel will treat AMD processors as insecure as well. As a result, AMD CPUs will feel a performance hit as well, though the bug only technically affects Intel CPUs and AMD recommends specifically not to enable the patch for Linux. How Microsoft specifically will address the issue with the Windows operating system remains unclear until the company's formal Patch Tuesday update is made known, hopefully soon.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wow, been a long time since I've seen a Rosewill case taken seriously.

Please consider cases from just about any other manufacturer. Rosewill are pretty horrendous and lower-quality. They're like a Newegg store-brand, essentially.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by Bethanie View Post
    It looks like the patch affects all x86 CPU's, including AMD ones. At least for Linux (so far), Ryzen users will be able to share that sweet 30% performance hit
    and another update after that said they included a vendor check and it no longer affects AMD....and that's just for linux not Windows anyway. We don't know how it will affect Windows, which is why I suggest waiting until we do know.

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Linux patches have also been updated to not treat AMD CPUs as insecure anymore because they added a vendor check with it.

So AMD systems are again unaffected unless one specifically installs an older patch on purpose.

Evil, if you see this, do you have a source please?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Evil, if you see this, do you have a source please?
    http://www.bit-tech.net/news/tech/cp...curity-flaw/1/

https://lkml.org/lkml/2017/12/27/2

Quick search finds I remember from the specific threads.
    Can't find the specific one where the stated the new fix added that vendor check detailed in link 2 but it's there somewhere.
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."

https://twitter.com/aionescu/status/948576989622882304

"It’s worth pointing out that not only does Windows have KPTI/KVA shadowing enabled for AMD processors as well, it even has specialized shadow system call entry stubs for AMD vs Intel. This either suggests they know how to embargo properly or that Tom’s PR is not entirely accurate"

10+ Year Old Account
    None of those things really use any system resources, relatively speaking. So... don't worry about them.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    None of those things really use any system resources, relatively speaking. So... don't worry about them.
    Streaming does use the cpu quite a bit though the rest yeah are meh.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by foofoocuddlypoopz View Post
    Streaming does use the cpu quite a bit though the rest yeah are meh.
    Ah, thought he meant watching streams
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

... i guess i just dont get why people are so obsessed with being able to stream with un-encoded video.

Youre not a Twitch partner. No-one will be able to tell if you use QuickSync.

As for the “performance hit”, there are already links to what exactly it entails, and its up to a 30% hit, on very specific memory operations., depending on the CPU generation. The Lake-series CPUs take a far smaller hit than older CPUs, and the full 30% is really only a concern on Sandy Bridge.

It is NOT a blanket 30% performance hit on everything the CPU does. It affects daily-driver and gaming tasks almost not at all (within the margin of error), and even most productivity tasks. Its mostly science applications, datacenter uses, and heavy virtualization that have any real perceptible hit.

For most people its a tiny hit in performance on a single set of memory operations that might see use all of a few times a day.

From your very article it most sincerely does not.

Whilst it keeps game framerates higher it actually still loses out to a stock R7 1700 in high quality streaming scenarios.
    Both can overclock but in terms of streaming performance the gain is considerably better on a Ryzen 7 platform because of the extra threads/horsepower.

Either which way both will do perfectly fine and if @Seefer wants to overclock the Ryzen 7 1700 to 3,9 - 4,0GHz the gains are considerably better on the AMD platform because of the very nature of streaming.
    Considering the gear he's willing to get he's not wanting to do this thing lightly.

If he prefers game performance over the quality of his stream -> Intel is your CPU.
    If he prefers the quality of his stream over game performance -> AMD is your CPU.

This is clearly shown in the very graphs you posted where overall on a higher quality stream the AMD Ryzen build drops sometimes CONSIDERABLY less frames for encoding, streaming loves threads over speed were games are the opposite.

Neither are bad choices but rather than advocating something blindly actually look at what the person is asking and willing to do.

The best way is to have both an Intel build for gaming and a Ryzen build for encoding but that's considerably more expensive because it's 2 systems.
    But it brings the best of both worlds to his doorstep.

But depending on his desire, in essence being a streamer over a gamer, the AMD Ryzen build with an overclock is a better choice.

Your signature is ironic in this regard.

No sir, the only game stream that Ryzen outdid the 8700k on was DOTA2 and by very little. However in pure gaming 8700k was on top.

And if you notice. I did not say Intel was better. I said, "as good or better"

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by loadedaxe View Post
    No sir, the only game stream that Ryzen outdid the 8700k on was DOTA2 and by very little. However in pure gaming 8700k was on top.

And if you notice. I did not say Intel was better. I said, "as good or better"
    I suggest you re-read what I wrote and what your article stated.

Because you're not reading it correctly apparently and you're also not reading exactly what I've written in the post.

I suggest you re-read what I wrote and what your article stated.

Because you're not reading it correctly apparently and you're also not reading exactly what I've written in the post.
    I have no need to reread your post, got it right the fikrst time. Maybe you should and re-read the article while you have so much time to waste.

Other than telling me I am wrong, then agreeing with me that either will work, I really dont see the point of the argument, but alas I digress, I never said Ryzen wouldn't work, nor that Intel was miles ahead, only stated the 8700k would do as good streaming and be better at gaming.

And my sig is not ironic in relation to my post, its spot on in this argument. You can show a link to a article besides the one I posted to prove me wrong to counter if you like, but no point, you already agreed with me without saying so, instead, it appears you would like to pick a un-intelligent argument. However I have much better things to do.

I will agree in that either is a good choice, I never said it wasnt, I said if It were me and I did what he is doing, I would go 8700k.