Computer upgrade

Hi guys, need to get a new computer. My computer has gotten to the point I can not even run through Dalaran it lags so badly, but parts have failed on this computer and it is I think over 6 years old so time for a upgrade.

CPU AMD A8-3850 2.90 GHz Quad-Core APU w/ Integrated Radeon HD 6550D
    Motherboard [CrossFireX] MSI A75MA-G55 Chipset AMD Dual Graphics Support DDR3 Socket FM1 mATX w/ UEFI Bios, OC Genie, Winki 3 & 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, HDMI, USB3.0, SATA-III RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe X16, 1 PCIe X1 & 1 PCI
    RAM 8 Gigs

What I'm working with at the moment, also don't have much money to spend at the moment preferably under $500. I found this at bestbuy https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-refu...?skuId=5901221 for the price it looks pretty good, but I dont know to much about computers. Only going to be playing wow atm, so trying to get something with a good cpu and ram, plan on getting a decent video card down the line.
    Also saw some computers from sites like cyberpower https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cybertr...?skuId=5392302 Thats where I bought my current computer and it was decent for the price.
    Brothers youtube channel for Call of Duty Modern Warfare Remastered (Link)
    Has some awesome videos, and is a top player.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 2s2p View Post
    Hi guys, need to get a new computer. My computer has gotten to the point I can not even run through Dalaran it lags so badly, but parts have failed on this computer and it is I think over 6 years old so time for a upgrade.

CPU AMD A8-3850 2.90 GHz Quad-Core APU w/ Integrated Radeon HD 6550D
    Motherboard [CrossFireX] MSI A75MA-G55 Chipset AMD Dual Graphics Support DDR3 Socket FM1 mATX w/ UEFI Bios, OC Genie, Winki 3 & 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, HDMI, USB3.0, SATA-III RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe X16, 1 PCIe X1 & 1 PCI
    RAM 8 Gigs

What I'm working with at the moment, also don't have much money to spend at the moment preferably under $500. I found this at bestbuy https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-refu...?skuId=5901221 for the price it looks pretty good, but I dont know to much about computers. Only going to be playing wow atm, so trying to get something with a good cpu and ram, plan on getting a decent video card down the line.
    Also saw some computers from sites like cyberpower https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cybertr...?skuId=5392302 Thats where I bought my current computer and it was decent for the price.
    Hmm, do you have any more info on your current PC? You could probably salvage case + HDD. Then you would only need CPU+Mobo+ram+psu
    I see your old PC didn't have a dedicated GPU, correct me if I'm wrong.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i3-8350K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($183.59 @ OutletPC)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper T4 70.0 CFM Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler ($23.88 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: MSI - Z370 GAMING PLUS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($111.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($105.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($34.90 @ Newegg)
    Total: $460.34
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-01-02 01:33 EST-0500

That PSU is on -20$ promo offer right now.
    PM me weird stuff :3

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrops View Post
    Hmm, do you have any more info on your current PC? You could probably salvage case + HDD. Then you would only need CPU+Mobo+ram+psu
    I see your old PC didn't have a dedicated GPU, correct me if I'm wrong.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper T4 70.0 CFM Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler ($23.88 @ OutletPC)
    Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($105.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($34.90 @ Newegg)
    Total: $460.34
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-01-02 01:33 EST-0500

That PSU is on -20$ promo offer right now.
    Will that computer run better with wow on it then https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-refu...?skuId=5901221? I see that one has a i5 instead of a i4 cpu and twice the amount of ram.
    As for my case I defiantly need a new one this one has seen its better days, I could use my hdd's off this computer has a 120gig ssd, and 1tb hd. I'm also not sure about building a computer by myself I've done a lot of upgrades to my old one, just never had to install a motherboard, cpu, or powersupply so wouldn't want to mess anything up.

Deleted
    The machine you linked has a 7th gen i5, this has the same core count as the 8th gen i3(4 physical cores) and the latter processor will run wow better even at stock frequencies, plus the z270 chipset allows you to easily overclock the i3 to a fixed 4.5ghz+. Personally I'd get 1x 8gb of ddr4 and look to add another stick down the line.

As per Cyrops query though, do you have no dedicated/discrete GPU currently, are you just using the APU? o_O
    Last edited by mmoce90cf0ffae; 2018-01-02 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DonGenaro View Post
    The machine you linked has a 7th gen i5, this has the same core count as the 8th gen i3(4 physical cores) and the latter processor will run wow better even at stock frequencies, plus the z270 chipset allows you to easily overclock the i3 to a fixed 4.5ghz+. Personally I'd get 1x 8gb of ddr4 and look to add another stick down the line.

As per Cyrops query though, do you have no dedicated/discrete GPU currently, are you just using the APU? o_O
    No with this computer it had the gpu that was in the cpu, tried to add a seperate gpu but kept having problems, was trying to put a couple old ones from my current pc, had bought this one for my brother and he only used it for like a year, so when mine broke down took some parts out of it and put in this and worked alright. (Edit not the best with computers, but when ever i tried to put a video card in this computer it would still always try and use the videocard that was built into the cpu, even after installing the drivers and software for the current card)

Edit: If I'm going to start building my own pc would this be alright or https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/8sfrx...l-gaming-build or should I go with what Cyrops posted and add a case and hdd then add a video card later? Budget atm is like 600$ at most, but don't mind getting a video card in a few weeks.
    Last edited by 2s2p; 2018-01-03 at 01:36 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    No with this computer it had the gpu that was in the cpu, tried to add a seperate gpu but kept having problems, was trying to put a couple old ones from my current pc, had bought this one for my brother and he only used it for like a year, so when mine broke down took some parts out of it and put in this and worked alright. (Edit not the best with computers, but when ever i tried to put a video card in this computer it would still always try and use the videocard that was built into the cpu, even after installing the drivers and software for the current card)

Edit: If I'm going to start building my own pc would this be alright or https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/8sfrx...l-gaming-build or should I go with what Cyrops posted and add a case and hdd then add a video card later? Budget atm is like 600$ at most, but don't mind getting a video card in a few weeks.
    I mean, it's all up to you, depends what kind of GPU are you planning to get down the line, personally I would go with 8500k instead of that g4560, if your budget is 600$ at most, case and HDD would be less than 100$ total you could add to my build, and get GPU later like you plan. Adjusted build like @DonGenaro suggested, also I managed to squeeze SSD for that price, unless you play a LOT more games than WoW, 250GB will be more than enough.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper T4 70.0 CFM Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Crucial - Sport LT 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($87.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital - Blue 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($79.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: DIYPC - Solo-T1-BK ATX Mid Tower Case ($17.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $536.42
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-01-03 01:21 EST-0500

Additionally, if you decide to go with regular HDD, it's about half that price of SSD for 500GB, but I would strongly recommend getting SSD.

Edit: even without GPU this should run better than your old build.

I mean, it's all up to you, depends what kind of GPU are you planning to get down the line, personally I would go with 8500k instead of that g4560, if your budget is 600$ at most, case and HDD would be less than 100$ total you could add to my build, and get GPU later like you plan. Adjusted build like @DonGenaro suggested, also I managed to squeeze SSD for that price, unless you play a LOT more games than WoW, 250GB will be more than enough.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper T4 70.0 CFM Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Crucial - Sport LT 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($87.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital - Blue 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($79.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: DIYPC - Solo-T1-BK ATX Mid Tower Case ($17.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $536.42
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-01-03 01:21 EST-0500

Additionally, if you decide to go with regular HDD, it's about half that price of SSD for 500GB, but I would strongly recommend getting SSD.

Edit: even without GPU this should run better than your old build.
    Ok sounds good, think I'm going to go with what you just posted. Never built a computer from the start like this, does the cpu come with any thermal paste? Or will I have to buy that separate, and other then that I shouldn't need anything esle. Just need to watch some videos now on how to install a cpu and motherboard lol, Ive done basically everything else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok sounds good, think I'm going to go with what you just posted. Never built a computer from the start like this, does the cpu come with any thermal paste? Or will I have to buy that separate, and other then that I shouldn't need anything esle. Just need to watch some videos now on how to install a cpu and motherboard lol, Ive done basically everything else.
    CM coolers usually have thermal paste with them, in the extreme case you get all the parts and you have no paste, you should buy one asap, any paste will pretty much do, DO NOT put cooler without any paste.

To put your PC together, you WILL need a + screwdriver, so have one ready.
    Here is a general how to video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhX0fOUYd8Q&t your parts will look different visually, especially the case (relative to drive and PSU positions). Most important bit, is that you need to have screws in all holes in motherboard, case comes with plenty of sockets.
    Video for that exact cooler https://youtu.be/iyebTZp4hoo?t=3m20s

Edit: ah you have some experience, here is a quick video how to install 1151 intel (the long video is with ryzen) https://youtu.be/3xPrd6FBTS0?t=55s
    Last edited by Cyrops; 2018-01-04 at 06:59 AM.

CM coolers usually have thermal paste with them, in the extreme case you get all the parts and you have no paste, you should buy one asap, any paste will pretty much do, DO NOT put cooler without any paste.

To put your PC together, you WILL need a + screwdriver, so have one ready.
    Here is a general how to video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhX0fOUYd8Q&t your parts will look different visually, especially the case (relative to drive and PSU positions). Most important bit, is that you need to have screws in all holes in motherboard, case comes with plenty of sockets.
    Video for that exact cooler https://youtu.be/iyebTZp4hoo?t=3m20s

Edit: ah you have some experience, here is a quick video how to install 1151 intel (the long video is with ryzen) https://youtu.be/3xPrd6FBTS0?t=55s
    Thanks for all the help, ordered everything except the cpu and memory waiting for my next paycheck for that, but the rest came in today and was wondering a few things, checked the instruction manual and it didn't say anything about the position. But for the power supply since it is on the back top of this case and this case doesnt have a fan spot back there, and the power supply has a fan on the top of it should I put it in upside down so the fan isnt blowing against nothing?
    Also for my ssd, think my old case had a tray for it so it could fit in the regular harddrive slots, is there something like that I can buy to hold the ssd in this case?
    Would a cd drive from an kinda older computer work fine in this? Just need it to install windows.
    Also about windows I havnt updated my computer in quite a few years now still using windows 7, as for gaming with this computer build I'm going with is it worth upgrading to 8 or 10 just for gaming and a bit of web browsing?
    And ty again for the help everyone.
    Last edited by 2s2p; 2018-01-10 at 08:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for all the help, ordered everything except the cpu and memory waiting for my next paycheck for that, but the rest came in today and was wondering a few things, checked the instruction manual and it didn't say anything about the position. But for the power supply since it is on the back top of this case and this case doesnt have a fan spot back there, and the power supply has a fan on the top of it should I put it in upside down so the fan isnt blowing against nothing?
    Also for my ssd, think my old case had a tray for it so it could fit in the regular harddrive slots, is there something like that I can buy to hold the ssd in this case?
    Would a cd drive from an kinda older computer work fine in this? Just need it to install windows.
    Also about windows I havnt updated my computer in quite a few years now still using windows 7, as for gaming with this computer build I'm going with is it worth upgrading to 8 or 10 just for gaming and a bit of web browsing?
    And ty again for the help everyone.
    Did you get that exact case? PSU fans also suck air into the PSU and blow it out the back, usually if the case doesn't have a holes for PSU to suck in air from outside, you set it up so it sucks air from inside the case, then it blows it out the back. There are special mounting cases sold for SSD's to mount into 3.5" bays. If you got https://pcpartpicker.com/product/PvK...-case-solot1bk it has 3x2.5" bays, which are for the SSD size.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LswN12QA7tA
    A bit different case (the front I guess) he says the SSD goes in the bottom bays, have you tried it?

Edit: as for windows, getting 8 over 7 is stupid, getting 7 over 10 is preference, though I love the w10 (work PC) but upgrading from 7 might lose me some game saves, planning on getting w10 along with new PC, in a few years or something.

Did you get that exact case? PSU fans also suck air into the PSU and blow it out the back, usually if the case doesn't have a holes for PSU to suck in air from outside, you set it up so it sucks air from inside the case, then it blows it out the back. There are special mounting cases sold for SSD's to mount into 3.5" bays. If you got https://pcpartpicker.com/product/PvK...-case-solot1bk it has 3x2.5" bays, which are for the SSD size.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LswN12QA7tA
    A bit different case (the front I guess) he says the SSD goes in the bottom bays, have you tried it?

Edit: as for windows, getting 8 over 7 is stupid, getting 7 over 10 is preference, though I love the w10 (work PC) but upgrading from 7 might lose me some game saves, planning on getting w10 along with new PC, in a few years or something.

That case is actually the same one in the video Im pretty sure, yeah I thought those were 2.5 bays at the bottom for ssd's. But it looked like only way it would hold up the ssd was if I set it in there long ways, witch then I wouldn't be able to plug the cords into them and it did not come with any screws or did the ssd so Just the rest of the parts so threw a mount for the ssd in there so hopefully that will work.

Ok Ill just stick it out with windows 7 for now then.

Ok and for the power supply, yes the case has no holes in it on top, the power supply also just has the fan on top of it no holes or anything on the bottom of the ps to let hot air up into it. So should I install it upside down then, and is there a way to set the fan to be sucking in air then insted of blowing it out? or should i just let the ps fan shoot air into the pc, since there is a case fan on the back right under the ps that would blow the hot air right back out. Hopefully that makes sense, and ty again.

EDIT: Looking at the case and the ps how the screws are lined up it has to go in there upside down. So is there a way to go into any settings to change the fan direction or is it fine with it blowing it inside since there is a case fan right under it?

One other thing I have a couple old video cards think the two nicer ones dont work anymore but I had this cheap thing laying around and its old so not sure if it would even help at all on this set up. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16814150600 Would that card even help at all till I go buy a nice new one. Other card is a https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16814150609 but something broke in an older computer thought it was the video card but chance it could still work.
    Last edited by 2s2p; 2018-01-12 at 09:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    That case is actually the same one in the video Im pretty sure, yeah I thought those were 2.5 bays at the bottom for ssd's. But it looked like only way it would hold up the ssd was if I set it in there long ways, witch then I wouldn't be able to plug the cords into them and it did not come with any screws or did the ssd so Just the rest of the parts so threw a mount for the ssd in there so hopefully that will work.

Ok Ill just stick it out with windows 7 for now then.

Ok and for the power supply, yes the case has no holes in it on top, the power supply also just has the fan on top of it no holes or anything on the bottom of the ps to let hot air up into it. So should I install it upside down then, and is there a way to set the fan to be sucking in air then insted of blowing it out? or should i just let the ps fan shoot air into the pc, since there is a case fan on the back right under the ps that would blow the hot air right back out. Hopefully that makes sense, and ty again.

EDIT: Looking at the case and the ps how the screws are lined up it has to go in there upside down. So is there a way to go into any settings to change the fan direction or is it fine with it blowing it inside since there is a case fan right under it?

One other thing I have a couple old video cards think the two nicer ones dont work anymore but I had this cheap thing laying around and its old so not sure if it would even help at all on this set up. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16814150600 Would that card even help at all till I go buy a nice new one. Other card is a https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16814150609 but something broke in an older computer thought it was the video card but chance it could still work.
    Any old GPU will be somewhat helpfull, if you are using integrated GPU in CPU, you are losing cores for GPU work as well as RAM.
    The PSU SUCKs air inside itself and blows it out the back, the only way to change that is to disassemble the PSU and flip the fan, but that is not a good idea, this video should help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-exSelC1lBE

I'm still not sure how it's possible for SSD not to fit in a bay designed to fit it, the screws should be with PC case, unless the screws are not required (some bays have plastic knobs to hold the SSD in place)

For further help I would need pictures.
    Last edited by Cyrops; 2018-01-15 at 02:59 PM.

Any old GPU will be somewhat helpfull, if you are using integrated GPU in CPU, you are losing cores for GPU work as well as RAM.
    The PSU SUCKs air inside itself and blows it out the back, the only way to change that is to disassemble the PSU and flip the fan, but that is not a good idea, this video should help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-exSelC1lBE

I'm still not sure how it's possible for SSD not to fit in a bay designed to fit it, the screws should be with PC case, unless the screws are not required (some bays have plastic knobs to hold the SSD in place)

For further help I would need pictures.
    Would like to thank you a lot I got all the parts you listed and was able to install them perfectly with those videos and the manuals helping out. With the case and the ssd slots, the parts website lists it has 2.5 slots, but the newegg site shows just the 3.5 slots so was just a mistype on the parts website.
    For $15 the case did what was needed, only thing I was worried about was every screw the that held the motherboard in seemed to not fit the screws the only went in a little bit, and it wasnt the screws that came in the case, they fit fine in the holes in my old case.
    Was able to get this old his 5700 series video card to work in it, and defiantly this computer is working way better then what I was using. Was struggling with lowest settings before and would lag for a few seconds nonstop in org, and dal was even worse, when I logged in now was at 100 fps now with the lowest settings, so messed with the settings and sitting at about 8 overall settings at 38 fps. So will upgrade this ancient video card soon and hopefully see some better results. But thanks again for the help, always can get it here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Would like to thank you a lot I got all the parts you listed and was able to install them perfectly with those videos and the manuals helping out. With the case and the ssd slots, the parts website lists it has 2.5 slots, but the newegg site shows just the 3.5 slots so was just a mistype on the parts website.
    For $15 the case did what was needed, only thing I was worried about was every screw the that held the motherboard in seemed to not fit the screws the only went in a little bit, and it wasnt the screws that came in the case, they fit fine in the holes in my old case.
    Was able to get this old his 5700 series video card to work in it, and defiantly this computer is working way better then what I was using. Was struggling with lowest settings before and would lag for a few seconds nonstop in org, and dal was even worse, when I logged in now was at 100 fps now with the lowest settings, so messed with the settings and sitting at about 8 overall settings at 38 fps. So will upgrade this ancient video card soon and hopefully see some better results. But thanks again for the help, always can get it here.
    Yea, those cheap cases can be ... messy. I built PC two weeks ago, ordered 34euro case, it was horrible, only came with two stands for motherboard, when you need 9, returned it and bought 41e case instead. 7e difference in price but it was five times the case, even had space for wires behind the motherboard, so it looks neat inside.
    Glad you got it all sorted out, enjoy