Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    I get a "honey" or "sweetie" like 5 times a da...I didn't know I was being patronized :O

Resident Cosplay Progressive

I think the most offensive thing about this story is her smug smirk tbh but if this is what makes her feel happy then whatever :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    !@#$ that. I like the response. Just because someone is complaining, doesn't make the complaint valid.

Anyone that's dealt with *real* customer service knows that one of the key techniques of dealing with a problem customer is triggering them so that they explode and you are no longer compelled to waste your time on them.
    I know it's cute to be an edgelord here but that's a good way to get yourself fired, especially if your manager(s) are the ones who have to deal with your fuckup. One of the first things they teach you in business school is that negative reviews/poor interactions with the company travels ten times faster than positive experiences/good feedback. That plus the "customer is always right" culture in the US is why companies try to make nice with customers with complaints, no matter how inane they may be.

Honestly she is right.
    If that person was a guy you definitely would not call such a stranger with "honey", pet or love.
    So by its very definition it is a calling term based on genders, be that wrong or not by itself.

And here it is definitely meant as a belittling term when spoken to a stranger or someone you are not close with.
    It clearly shows that you do not take that person as seriously as you would if she was a man.

I mean calling a stranger woman a pet (or a similar-intention word like honey, as they state) very clearly shows what you think of their importance.
    Probably because if you were disrespectful to a random guy you don't know there is a high chance you might get your teeth knocked in.
    Last edited by Aleksej89; 2018-01-03 at 06:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksej89 View Post
    Honestly she is right.
    If that person was a guy you definitely would not call such a stranger with "honey", pet or love.
    So by its very definition it is a calling term based on genders, be that wrong or not by itself.

And it is definitely meant as a belittling term when spoken to a stranger or someone you are not close with.
    It clearly shows that you do not take that person as seriously as you would if she was a man.
    Probably because if you were disrespectful to a random guy you don't know there is a high chance you might get your teeth knocked in.
    As an experiment it would be interesting to see what would happen if we started referring to people as "honey" or "sweetie" in thread replies (when disagreeing with them). Bet things will go from 0 to 100 in conversations real fast here.

A couple of people already do it and have been called out on it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    As an experiment it would be interesting to see what would happen if we started referring to people as "honey" or "sweetie" in thread replies (when disagreeing with them). Bet things will go from 0 to 100 in conversations real fast here.

A couple of people already do it and have been called out on it.
    I've only seen trans people here use sweetie as condescendingly as possible. Well, also on twtter and tumblr too.

What a stupid cunt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Really? The woman created a fuss over a simple innocent word used by an older male? Not really sexist and well, Virgin Train's message wasn't good but nor was her 'outrage'.
    Calling anyone you don't know 'honey' 'pet' 'love' is demeaning regardless of gender. I have never had it directed at me or anyone I know unless by family or close friend, and have it not meant with a twist of superiority complex. At it heart it's just rude and the tweet only exacerbated that rudeness. Intent or not, it shows a lack of understanding. And this is in the UK, I know how people mean it in public. 99/100 times it's meant with extreme sarcasm.

I would never in my life in a position where I commune with customers call them anything of the sort. Miss, Madam, Sir, or just avoiding attributing a title of any sort are usually the way to go. You don't know these people, and you are representing the company. Not in your living room with your cousins at christmas being the creepy uncle no one wants to talk to because of these exact reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    I get a "honey" or "sweetie" like 5 times a da...I didn't know I was being patronized :O
    If you live in the UK, and it's by people you don't know, yeah you are. Massively.
    Last edited by Aqua; 2018-01-03 at 06:10 AM.
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqua View Post
    If you live in the UK, and it's by people you don't know, yeah you are. Massively.
    That's false. They aren't uncommon terms in many parts of the UK for both professional and personal interactions alike. Just because it might not be the case where you live it does not mean it isn't the case elsewhere in the country. I've heard the term used in Manchester, Liverpool and Glasgow...as well as various other parts of the UK.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    We must have a lot of trans on MMO-C if that's the case
    Idk, maybe. Not like i go into every thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering that this thread is already based primarily on arguing over whether or not being called honey etc is sexist or not, and gender based threads are not permitted, going ahead and closing it now.