First time tanking - taking way too much damage

Hi all.

I'm new to bear tanking and looking at logs it seems I am not mitigating enough.

For instance, this is our varimathras kill from last night https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...e=damage-taken I'm Leafhoof, look how much more damage I'm taking than the other tank. This is a theme across nearly all bosses.

I try to use Ironfur pretty much whenever I have the rage for it, but it seems I am not doing enough. Could anyone please analyze my logs and see what I'm doing wrong? I feel like I'm using Ironfur a lot so I'm surprised to see how much damage I'm taking.

You're comparing yourself to a Paladin. Don't.

Compare yourself to other bears.

The dodge ability was SO much more fun than ironfur ... kite and go 100% dodge when the mobs reach you that was fun. :/
    Sorry I can't be of help OP - I'm pretty awful at guardian.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have absolutely no clue on how to tank as guardian (or any other tank), but I know that every tank is different so don't compare to other tank types as Huth mentioned. Also you should check out wowanalyzer.com, it can really help improve your play. e.g on your Varimathras kill:
    https://wowanalyzer.com/report/8VxdP...4:22)/Leafhoof
    I can see you where hit only 4 times with Ironfur up.

Looking at a few of your boss kills, the damage you take is similar to the damage myself and my bear co-tank take, we're around 960 ilvl. So you're not really taking an unusually high amount of damage.

A few things that might help if you still think you are struggling: Mix and match legendaries for each fight (if you them). I find the chest and legs is good on Vari and Hounds, Dual Determination ring helps on Coven, Fury of Nature and LatC are good on High Command and Eonar where there are lots of adds, etc.

Try also using Survival of the Fittest talent instead of Guardian of Elune. Using barkskin more often can help smooth out damage taken, and the reduced SI cooldown means you can get a 3rd of even 4th use in each fight

-20 ilvl difference
    -comparing to a block tank on physical damage taken
    -comparing total damage taken instead of relative
    -has paladin 4pc t21 (arguably the strongest passive bonus this tier) vs you not having any set bonus
    -not even maxed out artifact
    -questionable legendaries equipped
    -your tmi is about equivalent which mean your damage smoothness was about the same
    -your ksri is double your co tank which mean you needed alot more external healing but i think this is normal for bears
    -little wasted rage and good spread on ironfur

I don't think there is anything out of the ordinary and mostly boils down to your lack of gear, legendary options and set bonuses. Some would oust you as a heathen for not using 3x thrash relics though, despicable.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You will take more damage, but you have like 50% more HP. So it evens out as a percentage.

For example.

You - 10k hp
    Pally - 7k hp

You take 5k damage. The pally takes 4k damage. Though 5k of 10k is 50% of your HP. 4k of the Pallies 7k hp is 57%.

Overall you took less % damage even though numerically you took more.

Bear's Passive also increase the healing you receive. So take that into account as well, as healers will be healing more of your HP with less effort than the Paladin.
    Last edited by Super Kami Dende; 2018-01-04 at 12:02 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyechewer View Post
    Hi all.

I'm new to bear tanking and looking at logs it seems I am not mitigating enough.

For instance, this is our varimathras kill from last night https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...e=damage-taken I'm Leafhoof, look how much more damage I'm taking than the other tank. This is a theme across nearly all bosses.

I try to use Ironfur pretty much whenever I have the rage for it, but it seems I am not doing enough. Could anyone please analyze my logs and see what I'm doing wrong? I feel like I'm using Ironfur a lot so I'm surprised to see how much damage I'm taking.
    First things first, overall damage taken is a poor measure of comparing tanks. It doesn't matter if you take twice as much damage as long as a) you are not straining your healers overall, b) you don't require frequent emergency heals that could be prevented. From looking at your log I expect you want to play as defensively as possible, so I will not comment on dps-related things without much defensive merit.

1) Gearing: Which legendaries do you have access to? Do you have T20 set pieces? 2p is still very decent.

2) Casts: You opened with Mangle, Swipe, mangle, moonfire. The idea probably being to get as much rage as possible early. Your first cast also happened about 7 seconds into the fight, what did you do before? You should start the fight by shifting into bear (setting your rage to 20 instead of 0), moonfire from range, Thrash as soon as you are in range followed by mangle. You priority is to get pulverize up before you take the boss and have enough rage to keep your active mitigation (AM) up. While Mangle gives you more rage than thrash, you need the stacks to get pulverize rolling. Later in the fight you can (and should) prioritize mangle>thrash>GG procs> swipe.

3) CD usage: If you have little rage when you taunt the boss, immediately use bristling fur, to be fair this should only be an issue when you take him the first time.
    Frenzied Regen, you should use that 3 sec before every shadowstrike, so that you have full HP and are in no danger of every getting spiked.
    Short CD's: The damage on this fight is really predictable, you can rotate RotS, Bark and Archimondes. Fill the gaps with Survival Instincts or externals to be hyper safe. This you did pretty well though.

4) AM uptime: You have around 80% uptime on IF, that should be higher. Not sure if it is a rage problem, if so, it will get better as your rotation becomes better.

5) You don't seem to know your gcd that well yet, so you delay pretty often, which leads to less abilities, less rage, less mitigation and less damage. Just always press something and preferably the right thing. The prio is pretty simple. Also: You stop doing anything for several seconds for no apparent reason, whats up with that? (Example around 92sec and 222sec)

Overall you did ok. Get used to doing what you do and get more armor. You took some emergency heals, but I guess that was mostly the healers being bored, you were never really in danger of dying.

Put frenzied regen on your bars... Varimathras not a great fight to look at in general, i looked over dogs however and then boggled my mind and stopped when i saw you didn't use frenzied regen a single time on a boss fight with repeat spikes.

Holy hell, not 1 FR on heroic felhounds.... that's actually super impressive haha

Quote Originally Posted by axxey View Post
    Put frenzied regen on your bars... Varimathras not a great fight to look at in general, i looked over dogs however and then boggled my mind and stopped when i saw you didn't use frenzied regen a single time on a boss fight with repeat spikes.
    Of course on that fight in particular it's important to make sure FR isn't used while you have Misery. It's an easy mistake to make until you get a feel for it.