Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    It is only a filler expansion if Azeroth is not united by the end of it. BfA has a lot going for it, and I very much doubt a lead developer would make an "azerite=uranium" comparison lighty. This pretty much confirms armistice under the threat of MAD via azerite WMDs as, if not at the very least a plot point, the end point for BfA.

Everything up until then? Fluff and filler meant to stoke faction pride until you realize United Azeroth was an inevitability as far back as MoP. Even fucking Wrathion knew and he's an annoying child that can't even twist politics, except for maybe whispering into Vol'jin as the loa and picking Slyvannas, thus sparking another faction war. But that's just a theory! A game theory!

(You can find evidence of Wrathion most definitely still succumbing to void/old god influence because without wards, not even the Hammer of Khazgoroth cleansed Ebonhorn could deny their influence. Wrathion is most definitely a corrupted black dragon and it makes a lot of sense for him to have manipulated Vol'jin into picking Sylvannas, knowing full well how that sits with the Alliance.)
    Last edited by Blamblam41; 2018-01-04 at 09:55 PM.
    There is absolutely no basis for individual rights to firearms or self defense under any contextual interpretation of the second amendment of the United States Constitution. It defines clearly a militia of which is regulated of the people and arms, for the expressed purpose of protection of the free state. Unwillingness to take in even the most basic and whole context of these laws is exactly the road to anarchy.

Oh, this again. Don't buy it, get on with your life. No one cares.

BfA is giving me a lot of MoP vibes, in that when MoP was announced, it sounded very filler. Horde and Alliance fighting over Pandaria! Fighting the basic Pandarian inhabitants!

I'm hoping that a lot of BfA is being hidden, and that we're really only looking at the thin top layer of plot for the expansion.

It's NOT filler. Filler would mean it has no stakes in the greater narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    Reintroducing Artifact Grind as a necklace with similar netherlight crucible baked in. Etc.
    Difference being that the Heart of Azerite will apply to all specs, making the grind literally a third of what it was in legion (this will also prevent locking into a spec early on and risking falling behind if you wanted to switch/other specs becoming FoTM). Additionally, there is no RNG with this system, so associating it with the crucible is extremely misleading. This system also brings with it 3 slots we wont ever have to worry about WF/TF (helm, shoulders, chest), so even less rng to have to worry about.

15+ Year Old Account
    "Horde vs Alliance expansion is happening at a time when it doesn't make sense to happen."

I thought they were just going to go with the basic "something is corrupting our minds and forcing us to fight each other" if anything, it's a pretty standard episode in a show/movie/book/game where two opposing forces group up. There's bound to be an episode/book/expansion based around some corruption forcing us to fight each other.

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post

Why it may be a filler expansion:
    • Less art time spending [Tier sets being removed. PvP and Raids now even sharing the same looks but with less looks, less pieces, more colors, more unaccessible colors of that set.] Blizz is going to create 4 new set of armor for each dungeon and raid. That is not less work, in the least. It is also a recognition that Transmog is a huge reason why people play this game.
    • No depth in the story from what we've seen, no real threat from either the Horde or Alliance since we know what will most likely happen to them both. (A truce) We only know there is a war. Also, Undercity and Tel'Drassil are falling. That's huge.
    • Story is bridging into the next one for a full Old God themed expansion as WoD did with Legion. You can even see two Old God tentacles in the logo. You assume the next expansion is going to be Old God themed? Lol. The name of the expansion is Battle for Azeroth. They are tricking you into believing they are talking about the Planet. They actually mean the World Soul (you know, who was deeply, almost mortally wounded by Sargeras...)
    • Missed opportunity to introduce a sea system in an ocean themed expansion. Vashj'ir called. It wants to tell you it was wildly unpopular.
    • Horde vs Alliance expansion is happening at a time when it doesn't make sense to happen. Makes perfect sense. The Alliance and Horde are already at War. The Legion was not stopped by the Alliance or the Horde, it was stopped by Illidan, Velen, Khadgar and the Class Order Halls.
    • Warfronts will be predictable system to be farmed over and over again with no real threat of losing since we will know which specific buildings to build in what situation. Good luck telling other people which buildings to focus on. Also, why even bother playing RTSes. You know what to build and when. Same fight over and over again. What a snooze-fest.

• Allied Races locked behind a rep grind is not fun for most people. You act like rep grinds are new, lol

• Reintroducing another, alt-killing and similar grind: Heart of Azeroth Legion was only Alt Unfriendly for the first few months. After that, it was pretty easy to grind AP.
    • Forcing people to level to 110 at a much slower rate seems very forebolding. I can't even
    • Locking armor behind leveling slowly to 110 despite boosting a character to 110 with the expac or $60 and being able to obtain money and the player gets the armor is a bit forebolding. Rewarding people for doing content is foreboding?
    • We don't know where or what the capitals are in Tiragarde Sound or Zuldazar. Wasn't clarified. Could be Alliance and Horde uninspired make-shift-cities like Stormshield and Warspear. We know where the major hubs will be.

• There is nothing significantly different as far as end game content goes from BFA and Legion except Allied Races and Warfronts. The end game has always been a successive number of increasingly more difficult raids. #BusienssAsUsual

• Classes won't be changing much. Untrue. All of the classes will be reworked. They have to be since we are losing our Artifacts. They are just not going to radically alter them the way they did in Legion.

My responses are bolded in the quote.
    Last edited by Lightforged; 2018-01-04 at 10:39 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Steehl View Post
    BfA is giving me a lot of MoP vibes, in that when MoP was announced, it sounded very filler. Horde and Alliance fighting over Pandaria! Fighting the basic Pandarian inhabitants!

I'm hoping that a lot of BfA is being hidden, and that we're really only looking at the thin top layer of plot for the expansion.
    This. I am also feeling the MoP vibe. Only thing I don't like is that Azerite feeling like new artifact grind.

why is everything a filler expansion suddenly?
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Hype for allied races and the awesome theme aside, BfA sounds like a watered-down version of Legion. Nothing is really being changed and some things are being removed.

Maybe they'll announce more as time goes on but I seriously doubt it.
    Not hyped for Allied races, the theme is thoughtless and lazy fall-back and I agree with the rest.

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Interesting that you see WoD as a filler expac. Cata felt way more like filler than WoD did, even if WoD sucked.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Irlking View Post
    This. I am also feeling the MoP vibe. Only thing I don't like is that Azerite feeling like new artifact grind.
    Fingers crossed! MoP was the best expac since BC.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Voidwielder View Post
    Not hyped for Allied races, the theme is thoughtless and lazy fall-back and I agree with the rest.
    A lot of people wanted subraces, this is Blizzards way of giving it to them.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by My User Name View Post
    Depends. I tend to use the term "filler" for WoD because of how extremely irrelevant it was lorewise. There weren't any major or impactful moments throughout the expansion that comes to mind. The antagonists were fucking jokes, they weren't threatening at all they showed zero effort to make you care about them. The fact that the story was set in an alternative universe world we will never go back to is another major point of why it sounds so irrelevant and fillery.

Battle for Azeroth seems like it will move the story forward with two factions being directly involved, and Old Gods being continiously teased. It seems like we'll continue our fight against REAL villains like Queen Azshara (and possibly N'Zoth), instead of space-time traveling orcs who are unnecessarily shoved down to the story.
    100% agreement here.

Deleted
    "Reintroducing another, alt-killing and similar grind: Heart of Azeroth"

This is a major issue and the devs appear completely blind to the effect it's having on subs and BfA sales. This AP thing is the death of WoW. Put caps on the damn things or remove them.
    It's not even the alts. No one enjoys the grind and people either left cause of it already or aren't willing to return because of it.

As for WoD, it wasn't filler. It was cut. Still, there was alot of work done on the garrison system. I don't call that a filler. Just the content that was cut. Imagine WoD with a Farahlon patch and that other island that got removed. Theres also the Ogre continent. I really liked WoD, it was just mistreated by Blizz. If it has WQ's it wouldn't have had all the fuss it did.

But, yeah... Cata is the filler expansion. The focus was on the world revamp and not the max level content.
    Last edited by mmoc80be7224cc; 2018-01-05 at 02:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Niroshi View Post
    We don't even have the alpha yet. We know next to nothing about the xpac.

^this pretty much. And about this "filler-expansion" stuff, don't you all think that filler should have shorter periods than the "true-expansion"? I mean, all of the expansion so far has pretty much the same periods of life span (2 to 3 years).

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Why it isn't a filler expansion: Because those don't actually exist.
    "Everything I don't like is a filler expansion."

The cry of people like the OP

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nemmar View Post
    "Reintroducing another, alt-killing and similar grind: Heart of Azeroth"

This is a major issue and the devs appear completely blind to the effect it's having on subs and BfA sales. This AP thing is the death of WoW. Put caps on the damn things or remove them.
    It's not even the alts. No one enjoys the grind and people either left cause of it already or aren't willing to return because of it.
    And yet people are either wanting Vanilla back (aka the grindiest of the grind) or between Vanilla and Legion were crying for non stop advancement of the character much like AP. It's almost as if most people do like th grind and just loudmouths were crying because

MMOs are designed by their nature to be a grind.

What the hell does "forebolding" mean?

Also, I'm glad to have a "filler" expansion for several reasons.

1) If every expansion was going from big bad to big bad, you'd probably have Wrath of the Lich King, and Legion... Everything else is "filler". TBC's Illidan was not a major threat to the heroes and the Legion "invasion" in that xpac was minimal. Cata's threat of Deathwing was just an old god filler minion, MoP's old god was already dead, WoD was a side timeline, etc... of the series' 3 major baddies they produced (scourge, legion, old god) only 2 expansions have taken a fight directly to them.

2) Vanilla didn't have a world ending big bad, it was set in the day to day struggles in a post-WC3 world. It had a very different feel. I'm all for the story of Legion and having that finally resolve, but there needs to be space for some more ground level stories too. Otherwise where do you go from jumping in a giant golden spaceship, killing a death god, and ending an army that has conquered thousands of worlds. I'm OK with not having to log in to "OMG THE END IS NIGH, SUPER EXTRA BAD GOD HAS RETURNED" every day.

3) With every major, overarching narrative, the opportunities for individual character exploration kind of gets pushed to the side. Say what you will about MoP and WoD, but they provided a lot of space for the player to explore their own character's growth and actions and RP into the narrative. Legion's story is great, but as far as where you character goes and what they do, it's very on rails of hanging out with Khadgar and killing who he tells you to. Other xpacs had a lot of factions to glam on to... but Legion is "we Dalaran now", which interestingly enough was the same theme behind the last super threat expansion - WotLK.
    Last edited by Akibaboy; 2018-01-05 at 03:47 PM.

People have vastly different understandings of the term filler and what it means to them.

Most people consider filler a reference to a lack of content or regurgitation of older content in a reworked manner. Others consider filler a reference to the story being irrelevant or only a stage setting for a greater tale later on.

I don't consider BfA a filler for either reason, it will be chock full of the content people play 24/7 in this game. Dungeons/raids/quests/WQs/Rep Grinds, just because it lacks a ton of completely new or reworked "features" doesn't mean its content light. If anything its better they are carrying the good stuff forward and not reinventing a wheel that works.

For story its back to the roots of Warcraft....war! Faction pride, actual legit consequences to that war for the first time in this game(ever!) with the loss of Teldrassil and presumably Lordaeron. Recruiting new tribes/clans for the purposes of war and bringing this heat over the Broken Isles disaster to a head at long last. Helping the Zandalari/Tirasians regain control of their continents.
    Sure, the writing on the wall indicates Old Gods are coming next and we'll prob see increasing hints towards this as the xpac progresses but this story is interesting enough as a standalone tale and even continues the story of Azshara that we started in Legion.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    And yet people are either wanting Vanilla back (aka the grindiest of the grind) or between Vanilla and Legion were crying for non stop advancement of the character much like AP. It's almost as if most people do like th grind and just loudmouths were crying because

MMOs are designed by their nature to be a grind.
    Just that Blizzard is keeping it tells us that on some level, it must have worked out for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akibaboy View Post
    What the hell does "forebolding" mean?
    Partially bolding text to make it seem like it has perspective maybe?

Deleted
    So.... is Legion a filler Expansion because the story is bridging directly into BfA?

I mean, the only reason why the new armor system will exist, is because of what happened in the Legion storyline.