Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dwightyo39 View Post
    Medievil is a great game from that era. I don't see people talking about it 24/7.
    Everyone knows that game was awesome.

Heart of Darkness, great game involving a kid rescuing hid dog from shadow monsters.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victoria View Post
    Greetings, champions. Good to see you all, as always.

So, today's thread is for underappreciated games on the PS1 - Not underrated, just underappreciated. Games like Final Fantasy Tactics/IX, that aren't as remembered as FFVII, or Syphon Filter, that got in the shadow of Metal Gear Solid.

My pick would be Yu-gi-oh: Forbidden Memories. Great game! It follow its own rules, and it's pretty hard, but it was my first cardgame ever and it's unique to this day - I even prefer it to the real Yu Gi Oh, because it has less rules. Also, the music was intense.

Your turn!
    Parasite Eve
    Spyro
    Legend of Dragoon
    Tony Hawk 2
    The magzine Jampack demo disks

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravingmad View Post
    Can't agree more. I was expecting a sequel but it never happened.... sadly.

I'll add to the list Legend of Legaia. A simple yet fun RPG for its unique battle system.
    Really good choises i also would have taken.

But after the 2 of them are out i would say Vagrant Story which had a great and unic battle system and the story was also really good.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dwightyo39 View Post
    Medievil is a great game from that era. I don't see people talking about it 24/7.
    Sir Daniel Fortesque was great and wasn´t there a second one?

Chrono Cross. Amazing game.
    Rival Schools. I loved this fighting game, and the mini games were fun as well.
    Battle Arena Toshinden. The first game I bought for the PS1, and was the first 3D fighting game I played. The blocky models just made it awesome.
    Vagrant Story. It was a pretty good RPG, but was always overshadowed by Final Fantasy. I haven't played this in forever.
    Brigandine. Another game I haven't played in forever. Wish I could find a copy of this game that wasn't $75+. While not the best game, I still loved it.

15+ Year Old Account
    The Parasite Eve games were pretty awesome for PS1. I don't really hear them brought up much anymore and I didn't have a Vita to play whatever one came out on that a couple years ago, but I liked the PS1 versions.

Oh! I also liked the game "D". It was a really crazy mystery game where you had to do it all in one go (no saves, no extra lives) that involved an incident at what started at a hospital. In the opening cutscene, your character enters the hospital full of dead bodies and sees a weird portal. You step through the portal and end up in some kind of mansion. You now have to uncover what happened. You get one of two endings depending on whether you find several bonus clues that you only get a brief second or two to find before they disappear.
    Last edited by Aoyi; 2018-01-05 at 04:05 PM.

I was a big fan of Bushido Blade. Something about being able to injure or even kill your opponent in a fighting game independent of health bars was intriguing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post

Vagrant Story. It was a pretty good RPG, but was always overshadowed by Final Fantasy. I haven't played this in forever.

Indeed very unique for it's time I love it so much. It's kinda like the current Souls series and it has the same world as FFT and FF12 Ivalice!

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the ad-hominem; it supports your inability to support your argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Aoyi View Post
    The Parasite Eve games were pretty awesome for PS1. I don't really hear them brought up much anymore and I didn't have a Vita to play whatever one came out on that a couple years ago, but I liked the PS1 versions.

Oh! I also liked the game "D". It was a really crazy mystery game where you had to do it all in one go (no saves, no extra lives) that involved an incident at what started at a hospital. In the opening cutscene, your character enters the hospital full of dead bodies and sees a weird portal. You step through the portal and end up in some kind of mansion. You now have to uncover what happened. You get one of two endings depending on whether you find several bonus clues that you only get a brief second or two to find before they disappear.
    I played D on the 3DO. I didn't realize it was on Playstation as well.
    Bandwagon sports fans can eat a bag of http://www.ddir.com/ .

7+ Year Old Account
    Pandemonium was a really good game and yet noone I know has ever played it. Theres a port on steam but its not very good.

I never played the original Croc but I had Croc 2, loved that game.

My mum was addicted to a game called Kurushi. From what I can remember it was a puzzle game which involved you having to destroy blocks which were rolling towards you but certain blocks did certain things so you couldn't just go crazy with destroying them.

I don't know if Bust-A-Move was a popular game but I had a lot of fun playing that as a kid.

Pandemonium was quite fun as far as platformers go.
    Other games i remember fondly are Abe's Exoddus, Rock and Roll Racing, and Thrill Kill.

10+ Year Old Account
    - All the Gex games
    - Jackie Chan Stuntmaster. One of my favorite fighting games ever. Seriously.
    - Blasto. Seriously not even a sequel for this game. It's a fucking crime.
    - Final Fantasy 8. I feel like this game doesn't get enough love. I actually liked this one over FF7. I liked FF7 too but I feel like it got a bit TOO much love than it needed with all the spin offs and movies and whatnot. To this day I still don't understand what happened that FF7 blew up to be such a big hit over all the other FF games.
    - Soul Reaver
    - Tomba. I still want this damn game but it's so expensive.
    - Mega Man 8. I don't know if it was an exclusive or anything but this was one of my all time favorite Mega Man games. I don't see it being talked about much.
    - Ready 2 Rumble Boxing Round 2. I just remember how fun this game was and how funny the characters were. Was a pretty unpopular game I thought.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triforcewolf View Post
    - All the Gex games

- Final Fantasy 8. I feel like this game doesn't get enough love. I actually liked this one over FF7. I liked FF7 too but I feel like it got a bit TOO much love than it needed with all the spin offs and movies and whatnot. To this day I still don't understand what happened that FF7 blew up to be such a big hit over all the other FF games.

Because FF7 was the first 3D game of the series and the jump between FF6 and FF7 was revolutionary but the jump between FF7 and FF8 wasn't as big. Also RPGs before FF7 were like a niche but FF7 made even the none RPGs players try it out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    Because FF7 was the first 3D game of the series and the jump between FF6 and FF7 was revolutionary but the jump between FF7 and FF8 wasn't as big. Also RPGs before FF7 were like a niche but FF7 made even the none RPGs players try it out.
    Ah I see. Never thought about it that way. I always thought it was something about the game's story or characters or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Actually one big one that was underappreciated. Legend of Dragoon. That game was sadly overshadowed by Final Fantasy. Hell I'd arguably say it's the best RPG on PS1.

'nuff said. <3
    Last edited by MrTharne; 2018-01-05 at 09:37 PM.

Nice to see a few others mention Nightmare Creatures. I have to back that one up as well.

Also there were a few really good RPGs that got overshadowed by Final Fantasy, like Parasite Eve and Legend of Dragoon.

Some of the ones i remember playing on the PS1

Grandia - Was the RPG i remember the most outside of the FF series
    Alundra - Sony's answer to zelda and it was a decent game
    Parasite Eve - favorite survival horror outside of silent hill/res evil
    Colony wars - Great space shooter for the time.
    Fear Effect 1 and 2 - these were both great action games for the time

Quote Originally Posted by Triforcewolf View Post
    - Blasto. Seriously not even a sequel for this game. It's a fucking crime.
    Phil Hartman was murdered by his wife and they didn't want to face having to replace him.

Would have to say Vandal Hearts, Wild Arms and Little Big Adventure. Those 3 games were mint lol.

Legend of Dragoon
    Vagrant Story
    Tactics Ogre(You can pry my copy out of my cold dead hands,I paid $80 for it in '98)
    Front Mission 3
    Suikoden 1 & 2