The Good Place, NBC

The Good Place's premise is that there is a Heaven and Hell, they don't call them Heaven and Hell they call them the good place and the bad place. The show goes out of its way to be inclusive and non-denominational.

The premise of the show is what happens when a person who is meant to go to the bad place winds up in the good place because of a clerical error.

The acting is first rate and writing is good too. Some of the shows deal with philosophical questions which can be interesting.

The show I think it's the most like is Parks and Recreation. It's not as funny as Parks and Recreation though. A reviewer says the second season is even better, I haven't seen the second season yet.

I give it a 7.5/10. If you run out of things to watch give it a shot.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

It feels like Parks and Recreation because it was created by the same writer, Michael Schur.

And just like Parks and Recreation, the first season is a lot of set up and character and I didn't find it all that funny or well honed. It was okay, but I didn't know if I would keep watching. My wife liked it better than I did and started the second season so I watched, too - and again, just like Parks and Rec - that's where it started to really find itself. The characters got richer and with that came the humor I was expecting. It's both irreverently light and dark at moments, characters are redeemed and broken regularly but it all flows so well because at the root it has that heartfelt look inside a community of people, a Schur trademark from his time on the Office, Parks and Recreation, Brooklyn 99 and now The Good Place.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    A reviewer says the second season is even better, I haven't seen the second season yet.
    A reviewer is correct!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarc View Post
    The Horde is the West, the Allies are the Soviets (kind of makes more sense the other way around, but I'm Horde and I didn't want to be the commies in this metaphor.. For the Horde!) and the Legion are the Nazis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    A person who is saying "You need a good guy with a gun to stop a bad guy with a gun" sounds like someone who wants to sell 2 guns.

Quote Originally Posted by joat1832 View Post
    And just like Parks and Recreation, the first season is a lot of set up and character and I didn't find it all that funny or well honed. It was okay, but I didn't know if I would keep watching. My wife liked it better than I did and started the second season so I watched, too - and again, just like Parks and Rec - that's where it started to really find itself. The characters got richer and with that came the humor I was expecting. It's both irreverently light and dark at moments, characters are redeemed and broken regularly but it all flows so well because at the root it has that heartfelt look inside a community of people, a Schur trademark from his time on the Office, Parks and Recreation, Brooklyn 99 and now The Good Place.
    This is actually eerily familiar to my experience.
    I'd seen the Doug Forcett bit and thought it was funny enough to give the show a chance.
    After 3-4 episodes, I was undecided on whether I liked it or not, but my wife was really enjoying it, so we carried on.
    It pretty quickly won me over in the next couple of episodes though, and by the end we both loved it.
    I think one of the things that that really decided things for me was realising it was impossible that the 2nd season could be "more of the same" like so many shows are.
    I obviously can't go into details, but it was refreshing that you knew they needed to really have things planned out and couldn't just coast along in a safe zone.
    It's actually one of the very few shows we now watch every episode as it comes out.
    Last edited by Alcohorlick; 2018-01-08 at 11:02 AM.

I watched the first couple seasons. I like Kristen Bell, but her character is so unlikeable that I couldn't continue with the show. I get that that's sort of the point, but the only interesting character is Michael, really, imo.

It's very light entertainment, but as far as network shows go it is one of the best imo. I'd put it in the same category as Modern Family. Both have clever moments, but overall are just easy to consume TV.

I binge watched this a couple of weekends ago on Netflix. It is likeable, but it really would have been a much better movie concept.

It's decent. The over acted stupidity of characters can be grating.

10+ Year Old Account
    Watched all of season 1 and 2 during a fairly brutal hangover. It’s a funny show, with a solid premise, and I now have a crush on Kristen Bell.

My only real problem with it, is that the season 3 plot is very similar to a book I’m currently writing... D’oh!
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by Coombs View Post
    It's decent. The over acted stupidity of characters can be grating.
    Yeah, I they overdid it with Jason's character, and you can tell the actor is having a difficult time with how over the top the characterization is. No one in real life is that stupid...

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Yeah, I they overdid it with Jason's character, and you can tell the actor is having a difficult time with how over the top the characterization is. No one in real life is that stupid...
    It's consistent across so many sitcoms that I almost think they overact to make sure that everyone, even the one's Jason is to make fun of, gets it.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    He's pretty much one extended Florida joke. The latest episode, "The Ballad of Donkey Doug," at least explains why he is like that.

The Good Place + Wheatley from Portal 2 (same voice actor and practically the same personality), definitely a huge win in my (stolen from accounting) book

and Janet doing an Orphan Black was a bonus

10+ Year Old Account
    Love this show! The Trolley Problem (s2) is fantastic! It turns out that ethical dilemmas can be a gold mine of comedy.

NBC really struck gold with this one. We binged the first 2 seasons in a few days on Netflix and I'm almost willing to watch the live episodes on cable...almost.