Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Story, acting/va, etc is what matters to me. Animation style and quality usually matters to me during any action scene.

Western cartoons and anime are not going away anytime soon. The popularity will only grow as this generation becomes the adults and still appreciate the art style.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

a lot of people just think cartoons are childish, but not everyone like animated things

i really like animation personally, but i have always enjoyed it

Animation is just a medium, just like how you can get children's live-action films, anyone calling it just for kids are a backwards buffoon.

I just binge watched Devilman on Netflix last night for the absolute sake of it, had nothing else to watch.

Hardly comedic and kid friendly with all the nudity [monster titties and sharp toothed vagina mouths (lol!)] and gore...
    Last edited by Daedius; 2018-01-08 at 06:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    It depends on the animation style.

I can’t stand the Anime artstyle at all. But I’m okay with the western style of animation.
    How do you define "Anime artstyle" though? Studio Ghibli is a hell of a lot different from Dragonball Z. Cowboy Bebop is different from Hello Kitty.

And now we've got a new wave of horrible CGI shows that are butchering everything left and right, too(Berserk!). But that doesn't mean that something like Ghost In the Shell 2: Innocence can't still provide an amazing artistic presentation.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    Netflix's Castlevania.
    Exactly! Despite being what many people would consider an "Anime" style, it's a USA based team that wrote and produced it.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    It has been around a long time, even going back to the 70's and graphic novels and more mature comics. Back then it was the Conan (and similar) sci-fi vein that was definitely adult aimed, and there were plenty of WW2/Korea/Vietnam war-themed very violent and adult comics and graphic novels. So I don't think the adults not taking animation seriously thing holds water. It's a niche area, but plenty of adults like animation and not in a comedic sense and have for a long time.

As for big budget movies, I'm not sure when a studio will be willing to put up $100M+ for a real AAA adult animation movie. That's a large investment to front on a gamble like that, and most investors would prefer a safer project. So I think we'll continue to see it more as a niche.
    Last edited by Auxora; 2018-01-08 at 07:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    How do you define "Anime artstyle" though? Studio Ghibli is a hell of a lot different from Dragonball Z. Cowboy Bebop is different from Hello Kitty.

And now we've got a new wave of horrible CGI shows that are butchering everything left and right, too(Berserk!). But that doesn't mean that something like Ghost In the Shell 2: Innocence can't still provide an amazing artistic presentation.

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly! Despite being what many people would consider an "Anime" style, it's a USA based team that wrote and produced it.
    Anything made by the east or that looks like it was. I don’t know the exact definition but I’ve yet to see an art style of anime that didn’t make me look at it in mild disgust,

Miyazaki movies are better than most movies ever released. I would say Spirited Away was robbed of a best picture Oscar because they shove all animated movies into their own category and rarely let them come over to Best Picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Anything made by the east or that looks like it was. I don’t know the exact definition but I’ve yet to see an art style of anime that didn’t make me look at it in mild disgust,
    I suspect that you may have been exposed to trash-level Anime. Don't take that as a slight. Trust me, there's A LOT of trash anime. Here are some examples of GOOD animation:

SPOILERS INCLUDED IN SOME OF THESE VIDEOS
    (but if you haven't watched these shows yet, shame on you for being slow!)

Lets take a look at a scene from the Cowboy Bebop movie. Keep in mind this was 2001.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utLWiscq8d4

Compare that to this scene from the 2017 "Castlevania" animation. Pretty similar styles, although obviously Castlevania is sharper since it's newer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7TSQC25w6A

And now we look at a fight scene from "Avatar, Legend of Korra" from 2014, also pretty similar in style as the first two, although obviously different if you know what to look for. Although IMHO the animation and artstyle are not as clean as we saw in the 2001 Cowboy Bebop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqYY17r1UjQ

And here's one from Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Again, with a fairly similar art and animation style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZqXyIBPeEI

Two are "western" animations, while two are "eastern". These are probably not the closest examples of similar style animations available, but it's what I could quickly and easily find in the 15 minutes it took to write this response. What you need to recognize is that "Anime" is a pretty damn broad genre, containing a LOT of different styles and animation techniques.
    Last edited by SirCowdog; 2018-01-08 at 09:22 PM.