Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    15+ Year Old Account
    Update:

https://wccftech.com/amd-class-actio...four-meltdown/

A little bit more of a clarification regarding this matter for AMD's side of "Being vulnerable to Spectre v2" .. which is what I've said but people tend to fire at someone before reading.
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."
    - Kirito, Sword Art Online Abridged by Something Witty Entertainment

https://hothardware.com/news/intel-c...a-m-umd-mx-150

Earlier this year at CES 2018, Dell introduced its new XPS 15 2-in-1 machine, which it considers to be the world's most powerful convertible. In this case, all of the computing muscle is coming from Intel's new 8th generation Core i5 and Core i7 processors that feature on-package AMD Radeon RX Vega M GL GPUs with 4GB of HBM2.
    While we previously gave you a hands-on look at the XPS 15 2-in-1 at the Dell booth, what we have today is even more tantalizing. We've got some results from multiple Rise of the Tomb Raider benchmark runs. The XPS 15 2-in-1 was configured with a Core i7-8705G processor (3.1GHz base, 4.1GHz boost), the aforementioned Radeon RX Vega M GL graphics processor, 16GB of DDR4 memory, and an ultra-fast NVMe SSD.

Running at 1920x1080 resolution, the XPS 15 2-in-1 was able to maintain an average frame rate of nearly 35 frames per second with High image quality settings dialed in.
    Compared to a similar 8th generation Core system with Intel's own integrated HD 620U graphics, it was no contest. Even on Medium Quality settings, the Intel HD 620 was only able to manage about 8 frames per second. In our video above, we're fairly certain the the 29 frames per second run on the XPS 15 2-in-1 was accomplished using the Very High IQ setting.

For comparison, an 8th generation Core processor paired with an NVIDIA MX 150 GPU was able to put up an average frame rate of around 23 frames per second in the same benchmark at High IQ settings.

Needless to say, graphics performance definitely looks promising for these new 8th generation Intel Core processors with AMD graphics. We don't know how long this AMD partnership will last, but the bitter rivals should be commended for hitting it out of the park on the first try.

In addition to the brawny processor and GPU, we should also mention that the XPS 15 2-in-1 can be had with a 15.6-inch UltraSharp 4K UHD InfinityEdge display and up to a 1TB NVMe SSD. A 75 WHr battery gives you up to 15 hours of runtime and everything is wrapped up in a stylish CNC-machined aluminum chassis.

The XPS 15 2-in-1 will begin shipping in late Spring with a starting price of $1,299.
    is that the same Vega M that is supposed to equal 1060/580 ? (or 570)

someone can look up RotR benches, but Im 99% sure a regular 1060/580 can do 60+ fps @ 1920x1080 even on max/Ultra, much less on High, in RotR .. on High it might actually be 80+ fps

though maybe thats not the biggest mobile Vega, idk

- - - Updated - - -

edit: ok so above is the Vega M GL with 20 CUs, there is still Vega M GH with 24 CUs

but going fron 2.6 TFlops to 3.7 is still nowhere near enough to bridge a x2-2.5 fps gap

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post

someone can look up RotR benches, but Im 99% sure a regular 1060/580 can do 60+ fps @ 1920x1080 even on max/Ultra, much less on High, in RotR .. on High it might actually be 80+ fps

though maybe thats not the biggest mobile Vega, idk

- - - Updated - - -

edit: ok so above is the Vega M GL with 20 CUs, there is still Vega M GH with 24 CUs

but going fron 2.6 TFlops to 3.7 is still nowhere near enough to bridge a x2-2.5 fps gap
    That's a smaller and slower Vega M, the biggest (AFAIK) is reserved for Ryzen APUs with 28CUs and higher clocks, in essence: Not a mobile chip but a Desktop chip, considerable difference with the above Mobile form of Vega.
    Let's assume we have the same incremental increase from more stream processors and frequency you'd hit around 4,9TFLOPs, which is RX 570 area of TFLOP performance.
    But like I've stated before.. Polaris/Vega uArchs cannot be directly compared, for a real answer we'd need a proper 3rd party review.

Excluding overclocking on the part which according to the mentioned leaks gained upwards of almost 50% performance @ CES (unconfirmed though)

However Rise of the Tomb Raider wasn't such a good idea in all honesty, the 4GB is likely constricted in that game, I'd prefer a larger variety of games.

That said ... they managed to cram a higher level of performance in an XBox One X with a weaker CPU, I don't see why they can't do it with Vega.

So just repeating: Mobile Intel CPU and Mobile Vega graphics vs. Desktop Ryzen CPU and Vega Graphics.
    Expect considerable differences.
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."
    - Kirito, Sword Art Online Abridged by Something Witty Entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post

Also don't forget that they are pitching these Intel / Vega M combo's against the GTX 1060 Max Q, not the desktop GTX1060.