Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Good fix to toxicity

Make matchmaking better so you actually have people on same skill as you on your team and people won't get pissed when you get people who obviously can't play the game on your team just because they are same SR and not same skill.
    Last edited by Katie N; 2018-01-08 at 09:43 AM.

Alternatively accept that you will lose some games and learn how to not lash out at teammates when it happens. That'd eliminate quite a lot of toxicity.
    Everybody has bad games, and every team has a worst player. Don't despair over what your teammate is/isn't doing, focus on what you can be doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Venarik View Post
    Alternatively accept that you will lose some games and learn how to not lash out at teammates when it happens. That'd eliminate quite a lot of toxicity.
    Everybody has bad games, and every team has a worst player. Don't despair over what your teammate is/isn't doing, focus on what you can be doing.
    Improve the matchmaking system is better instead of letting people stay where they should not be in rating and ruining it for everyone who should be there.

What I can be doing? 1 hp and ana runs behind me and doesn't heal. Spamming x to give message to heal me. Doesn't heal. Says they didn't see me even if I was running in front of them for over a minute hyperbole but enough time to see me. Why is this person same rating as me when they don't have any awareness of the map?
    Last edited by Katie N; 2018-01-08 at 09:55 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venarik View Post
    Alternatively accept that you will lose some games
    alternatively,

stop throwing.

a divide in mindset is half the reason why the competitive experience is so awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Katie N View Post
    Make matchmaking better so you actually have people on same skill as you on your team and people won't get pissed when you get people who obviously can't play the game on your team just because they are same SR and not same skill.
    You're diamond right? What I noticed in diamond was people starting to swap onto heroes they were bad at once they were in diamond for no good reason.

Your best bet is to nicely encourage themt o play what they got into diamond with.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    Better idea: Don't play competitive if you are a one trick pony in a game that's balanced based around SWITCHING YOUR HERO.
    You don't have that much power over other people dragonite.

It is better to get your team to play to their strengths than it is to try to change the behavior of an entire tier of people.

Better idea: Don't play competitive if you are a one trick pony in a game that's balanced based around SWITCHING YOUR HERO.
    Unless of course you are in in-meta one trick then that is okay. So today you can one trick Junkrat or Mercy but once this update goes live I will get all toxic and rage on you if you so much as mention you play it.
    If you push a button that finds you a 'random group' and it gives you a random group of people with random skill and random knowledge then you have no right to complain that a 'random group' button did what it was designed to do. The fault lies in your inability to make friends to play with instead of relying on a button designed to be random. It is a 'random group' button, not a 'best of the best' button.

10+ Year Old Account
    They need to do a few things to reduce toxicity, and that is to fix matchmaking, a few easy steps to start with:

1. Increase minimum level to play Competitive, to 100 or at least 50!
    2. Make personal performance matter even more! This way the trolls, throwers or the completely terrible noobs will suffer and the people who can actually play and actually try won't be punished much if they lose.
    3. Make the teams more balanced level wise! I am only silver frame, it's not that much but still okey, I never cared that much about level BUT I still get mached with so many lower-bronze players. The other day it was a level 25 bronze in my team, cause he queued with a level 800+ to "balance" it. Still, this guy had been carried to his rating and was terrible, just terrible. This need to stop, make it a must to have atleast 100levels between the people you queue with, this way, I would never get anyone below level 500 in my teams, aka, no quick boosted people or beginners! Level doesn't matter THAT much BUT atleast it's SOME insurance that they are not completely fresh.
    • Diablo Immortal is the most misunderstood and underrated game of all time!
    • Blizzard, please, give us some end-game focused Classic servers, where you start at max level!
    • Serious Completionist: 100% OW Achievements, 100% D3 Achievements, 90% Immortal Achievements, 99% ATT Classic, ~90% ATT Retail

Matchmaking cant be fixed in any game because it causes big gaps and creates queue problems for those at top, and creates major butthurt entitlement at the bottom.

It hasnt happened all these years in every other game it will not happen in Overwatch were the target group is people that can barely play other FPS but they are amazing with Soldier ulti, welcome to competitive gameplay.

People dont like to be told they are shit, while also a simple easy to farm math percentages or colors is much easier on the brain/ego of the majority, you are "Bronze League" "silver" or whatever color they use, is better than:

"Yeah, you usually have 1 kill for 20 deaths and your accuracy is below 5%, are you blind or lacking fingers, or try to play with your screen on please".

"Look, my win rate is 50.00001%, in 1000 games i will get promoted" is the logic, and the better players with 51% win rate, get promoted sooner, the pros with 60% win rate will always be at the top, etc etc.

Or they could start actually counting performance based on each hero data on what they are supposed to be doing + objective data etc etc.

Then you get hit with "BUT I PLAY OVERWATCH TO PEW PEW, WHY YOU FORCE ME TO PLAY THE GAME AS IT SUPPOSED TO BE PLAYED, FAK <insert company here that actually forced it>"

And many more similar situations were a few algorithms would create a very balanced matchmaking but it wont happen, deal with what you have.
    Last edited by potis; 2018-01-16 at 02:20 PM.

I'd like to not keep getting matched with people I've blocked. Granted I won't have to deal with their toxicity but I still see that it's there based on what my team mates are saying in chat.

Quote Originally Posted by Speaknoevil View Post
    You're diamond right? What I noticed in diamond was people starting to swap onto heroes they were bad at once they were in diamond for no good reason.
    Why would they do that? I don't do competitive, only the occasional quick play or arcade, but I don't even burden them with my practice runs. There's the AI for that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Unless of course you are in in-meta one trick then that is okay. So today you can one trick Junkrat or Mercy but once this update goes live I will get all toxic and rage on you if you so much as mention you play it.
    Wait, are they planning anything with Junkrat?

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Why would they do that? I don't do competitive, only the occasional quick play or arcade, but I don't even burden them with my practice runs. There's the AI for that.

- - - Updated - - -

Junkrat's Concussion Mine will have its radius reduced in which it deals full damage, so you have to be more precise with throwing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    His mine is going to do damage based on proximity now is all. He'll keep x2 charges still.

Quote Originally Posted by iddqd View Post
    Junkrat's Concussion Mine will have its radius reduced in which it deals full damage, so you have to be more precise with throwing them.
    Eh, I really love that mine. Thanks, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Katie N View Post
    1. I think it's pretty hard to implement algorithms that can compare the quality of your gameplay in a smart way, that are either done realtime or at least quickly, in order to more accurately measure your skill level. Think about the computational power needed.

2. Part of life is being around fellow humans, and they are flawed, just as you are. Being angry at them for not being as good as you in certain areas is childish and unfair. Even if your team mates suck, it has nothing to do with your own performance, and so there is little reason to be mad, just do the best you can and see if you can beat the odds. Part from your own amusement, there are no awards here.
    Mother pus bucket!

One tricking is fine, itll even itself out over time due to the fact if hes losing games due to one-tricking, his rank will be lower and lower.

its even worse when people play all champions but are equally terrible on them

I'm not expecting people to play all of the heroes, just playing anything more than one is better.
    If theyre a hinderance as a onetrick, they should get such low rank youll never see them again

however, if theyre good, maybe even carry, theyll get as high, or higher than you.

Its a non-issue outside of organized teams

reduce toxicity?
    amongst 14y olds?
    over internets?
    Are you even?

And anyway, you do realise people sometimes need and have to vent out?

- - - Updated - - -

The only way to reduce toxicity is Jay and Silent Bob treatment.

The Fix: KYS you giant pussies learn to not take words so seriously you dumb transgender sluts

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Funky View Post
    The Fix: KYS you giant pussies learn to not take words so seriously you dumb transgender sluts
    Easy there cowboy