Thread: RTS Games

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    The new c&c moba? It was a mercy killing really.
    Nah back in 2011 EA announced C&C General 2 and then canceled it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post

Yeah, I wet myself at that video. Looked so amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    The new c&c moba? It was a mercy killing really.
    Nah, not that one. It happened quite long ago, 5-7 years or so ago. It's a proper RTS, but it's canned, then they tried to make something else in the same universe, but scrapped it too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post

Yeah, this one

10+ Year Old Account
    They couldnt find a good way to monotize iz so it got canceled.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

New RTS game

Hello, dear friends. We are indie developers of the game Taste of Power about alternative history of the middle ages in the genre RTS. Alpha version will be on steam soon What do you think about it? Follow Us On Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by MrPaladinGuy View Post
    The last two I played that were worth it were Command & Conquer 3 and the base Starcraft 2 campaign, expansions seemed like afterthoughts.

C&C4 was a pile of dung.
    We don't talk about cnc 4. Never happened. There was no sequel to the cliff hanger ending of CNC3/KW.

Deleted
    I was never really into RTS games aside from the obvious WC3 and expansion but even then I played those more for the story

I was always more of a grand strategy guy myself.

sudden strike 4 just came out last year. not a bad game. not as good as company of heroes 1 and 2 though imo. EA killed C&C with 4 and we will never see that story end the way it should have.

Emperor: Battle for Dune often is left out of the discussion. But I think it has to do with how popular Starcraft and CnC series was at the time Emperor was released. And Warcraft III came after and it seems Emperor: Battle for Dune was lost to the sands of time.
    Last edited by Mafic; 2018-01-27 at 06:33 AM.

Deleted
    They will make a come back at some point. Blizzard will revive the genre with Warcraft 4.
    Also wasn't a new Age of Empires recently announced?

please?

10+ Year Old Account
    There hasn't been many RTS games that have come out recently. I found myself gravitating towards other strategy games. Civ V/VI, Stellaris and TW:W2. Other than that, I have Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion and Empire at War. Both of those have very active modding communities.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post
    Emperor: Battle for Dune often is left out of the discussion. But I think it has to do with how popular Starcraft and CnC series was at the time Emperor was released. And Warcraft III came after and it seems Emperor: Battle for Dune was lost to the sands of time.
    I tried to play that game again a while back, but it did not age well. Compatability was also a big issue, it didn't run for shit on my modern system. Shame, never got to finish the story.
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The fun factor would go up 1000x if WQs existed in vanilla

It's interesting that my personal favorite RTS (Warcraft 3) also probably signed the death knell of the genre in the mainstream, given that 1) it paved the way for WoW and, more importantly 2) spawned the first popular MOBA which would go on to take over the competitive scene.

Deleted
    I played Stronghold as a child. It was very fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Been a CnC fan since well..Command & Conquer. I think Tiberian Sun was probably the peak of the line. Was not a big fan of CnC3/KW or CnC4. Been said but gotta shout out to Total Annihilation, SupCom1, (SupCom2 was a typical what-happens-when-EA-gets-their-hands-on-a-game), Homeworld, Homeworld 2, Empire at War, Sins of a Solar Empire. Although I don't typically enjoy small-scale "squad" style RTS games, I really liked the Real War series.

Don't think anyone has mentioned Star Trek: Armada (and Armada II). Good games.

I think moreover what made these games great was the abundance of mods to give them new life. The Star Wars mod for Homeworld 2 is absolutely AMAZING. There's also a Gundam mod for it (how often do you see Gundam mods for anything!?) that isn't the greatest but is kinda fun.

I can't really give any points to Starcraft, the game has the Real and Time elements, but much less the Strategy part, see: Zergrush. You either played that tactic, or you lost, at least when playing against real people.

I tried out the new Warhammer 40K RTS a while back...it's okay. I'm sure people who understand the intricacies of the Warhammer fleet point system get more out of it than I did, but that never made much sense in my head.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Yeah, it's quite a shame it has died. It was the genre that literally created competitive gaming, without SC1 being so massively popular in South Korea we probably wouldn't have the scene we to today. War3 was pretty big for the western scene as well.

Personally it's always been my favorite genre, and the only one I was really good at. I was Rank 20 in Europe in War3 AT and played with and against pros and semi-pros now and then. I often played 2v2 with Tharkas if anyone remembers him, got to play against (and got crushed by) my idol Madfrog and I've got a 100% win streak against SK players... with 1 game.

I never got into SC2 though, it was never remotely as much fun. It just felt cheesy and annoying. And with WoW going, we've never gotten a chance at another Warcraft game, sadly enough.

We'll see though. The success of They Are Billions has shown that people still find it very enjoyable when done right. Maybe someone manages to make a really fun RTS and it can become a thing again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrif View Post
    Yeah, it's quite a shame it has died. It was the genre that literally created competitive gaming, without SC1 being so massively popular in South Korea we probably wouldn't have the scene we to today. War3 was pretty big for the western scene as well.

Personally it's always been my favorite genre, and the only one I was really good at. I was Rank 20 in Europe in War3 AT and played with and against pros and semi-pros now and then. I often played 2v2 with Tharkas if anyone remembers him, got to play against (and got crushed by) my idol Madfrog and I've got a 100% win streak against SK players... with 1 game.

I never got into SC2 though, it was never remotely as much fun. It just felt cheesy and annoying. And with WoW going, we've never gotten a chance at another Warcraft game, sadly enough.

We'll see though. The success of They Are Billions has shown that people still find it very enjoyable when done right. Maybe someone manages to make a really fun RTS and it can become a thing again.
    You realize THIS is the entire problem and why the genre ate shit, right? When people say "because it's not Starcraft" whenever a new RTS comes out, they're referring to the fucking competitiveness of it. It's fucking multiplayer that has ruined this genre completely. It pisses me off so much.

They Are Billions has the potential to be a masterpiece. I've already completed it at 500%, it just sucked me in. It needs a lot of polish, and it sounds like the devs plan on adding more to it. Really looking forward to it.

But just about every other RTS that gets released has almost zero single player and just focuses on MP. Or the SP was an afterthought to please people like me, and just utterly fails.
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Deleted
    DISCLAIMER: This is highly subjective

I never thought i'd find a RTS i liked as much as Age of Empires. AoE 1 was my first rts game and i played it every single day for years.

A few years ago i found Stellaris on steam and i honestly think i've put more time into that now then i have ever played Age of Empires.

Its not really your standard base builder but it has elements from it.

I highly recommend taking a look at it, its getting a major update late february and it constantly evolves and gets new free stuff and new expansions.

I dont think the RTS genre is dead at all. Sadly though games like Age of Empires dont really get made anymore. In general publishers think people want bigger and more special rts games today

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    DISCLAIMER: This is highly subjective

I never thought i'd find a RTS i liked as much as Age of Empires. AoE 1 was my first rts game and i played it every single day for years.

A few years ago i found Stellaris on steam and i honestly think i've put more time into that now then i have ever played Age of Empires.

Its not really your standard base builder but it has elements from it.

I highly recommend taking a look at it, its getting a major update late february and it constantly evolves and gets new free stuff and new expansions.

I dont think the RTS genre is dead at all. Sadly though games like Age of Empires dont really get made anymore. In general publishers think people want bigger and more special rts games today
    I love Stellaris. But I don't really consider it an RTS, I put it up there with the other 4X games.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    I love Stellaris. But I don't really consider it an RTS, I put it up there with the other 4X games.
    Isnt 4x just grand strategi? Its still a RTS game imo