Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is it too late to start over?

Hello,

I’m thinking about starting or boosting a Warlock. I have BoAs for Lock that will go up to 110 and I play semi-frequently; but here is the problem, No legion flying and never completed Suramar. So my question is: is it too late to start from scratch and work my way all the way through legion before the next expansion?

Leveling tips appreciated.

If you want to get Cutting Edge, then yes, it might be too late unless you have crazy experience from previous expansions, and logs.

If you just want to do all legion content, including story and normal/hc modes, then you got plenty of time.

Deleted
    Lately I have levelled a warlock from 1-110 in about 7 days played because I never used dungeonfinder and I decided to solo dungeon on my own for fun on lower levels. Leveling nowadays is pretty easy, specially with invasions. When I hit 110 I had BoA 880's from Argus mixed with 850's from Broken Shore. My ilvl without doing anything with LFR is 890. So it shouldn't be that difficult to buy a curve or get a curve yourself with your current guild or friends. It all depends on those who are willing to help you. As for the mage tower, and seeing how this expansion will last another 6+ months, you shouldn't have any problems gearing up. Specially with the new patch practically giving your legendaries.

Thank you for your replies.
    I have a couple follow up questions:
    1. Once I hit 110 how should I progress? Broken Isle zones>Suramar>Broken Shore>Argus? Or is more beneficial to go straight to Argus and then back track?

2. I have to ask, How is Warlock? I currently have a 110 Warrior, Paladin, Hunter, Rogue, Monk and Mage that I find no real interest in. Does Warlock break the monotony of other classes?

I would go straight to Argus and farm for 910+ gear and do greater invasions. And go back to earlier content if you want too. That way soloing is much easier with better gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Travace View Post
    2. I have to ask, How is Warlock? I currently have a 110 Warrior, Paladin, Hunter, Rogue, Monk and Mage that I find no real interest in. Does Warlock break the monotony of other classes?
    A very subjective judgement, as always. Many people enjoy it, other people do not. Being bonkers DPS helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Brenz View Post
    What would be the best spec to level as?
    I see lots of people saying affliction is the only viable spec these days, is it also the levelling spec of choice?
    Personally I leveled as demo on my main lock and my alt lock I leveled as affliction. Both have their niches but affliction is the "best" spec but all are generally fun in their own little ways. Some people hate certain specs but that's normal. However I'd say play them all at 110 if you feel adventurous.

Deleted
    1. Once I hit 110 how should I progress? Broken Isle zones>Suramar>Broken Shore>Argus? Or is more beneficial to go straight to Argus and then back track?

Try to get a Timewalking week, get some free 880 crap. Get two free relics from the initial Argus quest and the dungeon quest near the start of the Broken Shore chain. With these you will be 880+, and only then it makes sense to do "mainland" world quests, because this makes the gear scale as high as it will go (and potentially proc for a 900+ item to prop up a weak slot). Other than that, do the Argus chain asap, get catchup gear from there in the form of gear quests and veiled argunite stuff - the latter you'll want to pour into trinkets and *maybe* relics initially, until you have 3 decent ones from procs or other content. LFR if you have patience for it, if not, probably skip.

Once you're done with this stuff you can get into progressively higher mythic+, get into a guild that runs normal, do your emissaries and assorted other chores to keep the legendary and artifact power roulette spinning. Your goal is to have 2 "good" (not necessarily BiS, but decent) legendaries, AP level 75 to unlock all additional traits. At that point it's just clear progression: M15+ with your guild (or pug, but getting invited as dps with low gear and no prior M+ record will suck ass), clear normal, clear heroic, apply for a mythic guild if you have prior experience and want to go that route.

Up to heroic is very trivial and you can do it in a few weeks. Mythic... depends a lot on many variables unknown to us (realm? exp? friends? time?).

Doing reps and story (e.g. Suramar) is good at any point after you go through the first hoop (900+, 2 legs, grinding AP to 75 - which Suramar will provide nicely). Basically you'll be strong enough to faceroll it all.
    Last edited by mmoc4588e6de4f; 2018-01-09 at 08:56 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well, you do have to level through Legion even after the next expansion, so it wouldn't matter much if you level now or later this year/early next year, or whenever BFA is released.

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

Remember BfA isn't even in beta yet. You've got ages. If you've not done any of the story, then I'd suggest doing it in order, but if you want to go through it quicker then going to Argus will definitely trivialise anything in the Broken Isles. You'll also get a ton more artifact power than we had back then through Suramar, so you'll be ahead of where we were regardless. It depends if you're doing it for the story or to get into endgame. Your call.

The story no longer takes anywhere near as long as it did. A lot of stuff had weekly elements or rep requirements that were the only thing holding you back. This is no longer the case.

As for whether you'll find the warlock fun, I can't tell you what you enjoy. Personally I love the demon summoner fantasy, but maybe you like the invincibility that affliction brings or throwing chaos bolts everywhere. Give them all a go, but be aware that some specs can't really get going in the world because stuff just dies too quickly.

Deleted
    No! This is my Warlock, dinged 110 last week: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/ch...ncrest/myzlock

75 Traits this evening when I get home and going to do Heroic Antorus, which will get me comfortably past 950, hopefully with tier. Of course I didn't start from scratch, so our situation isn't 100% comparable, but you can still do it.

I created a Warlock, I have no spec preference yet because everything dies very quickly when you are low level in full BoAs

Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    Remember BfA isn't even in beta yet. You've got ages. If you've not done any of the story, then I'd suggest doing it in order, but if you want to go through it quicker then going to Argus will definitely trivialize anything in the Broken Isles. You'll also get a ton more artifact power than we had back then through Suramar, so you'll be ahead of where we were regardless. It depends if you're doing it for the story or to get into endgame. Your call.
    I want to get to end game but I still want to unlock flying and unlock artifact appearances. I heard you will no longer be able to unlock artifact appearances in BfA

The story no longer takes anywhere near as long as it did. A lot of stuff had weekly elements or rep requirements that were the only thing holding you back. This is no longer the case.
    I've heard Rep requirements had been removed but my "further along" characters still show that I need Revered/Exalted to progress the Suramar Story.

As for whether you'll find the warlock fun, I can't tell you what you enjoy. Personally I love the demon summoner fantasy, but maybe you like the invincibility that affliction brings or throwing chaos bolts everywhere. Give them all a go, but be aware that some specs can't really get going in the world because stuff just dies too quickly.
    I like DoTs, most classes with DoTs are melee now and I wanted to try a ranged DoT class. I liked MoP Survival Hunter because of the DoTs and I started out Legion with a Sin Rogue. But I am tired of looking at the Raid Bosses ankle and being hit by every AoE in PvP so this seems like a logical next step for me. However, I always like reading about other people's experience with a class even though it's entirely subjective.

I want to get to end game but I still want to unlock flying and unlock artifact appearances. I heard you will no longer be able to unlock artifact appearances in BfA
    Only the M+15 and Mage Tower ones will become unavailable. The others can still be unlocked in BfA.

I've heard Rep requirements had been removed but my "further along" characters still show that I need Revered/Exalted to progress the Suramar Story.
    Yes, not ALL rep requirements were removed, but many were - as a result, you can also gather reputation much more quickly, since the previous rep requirements gated your access to more sources of rep. Suramar is very fast now compared to before.

So far I am leveling Affliction but I feel like I do no damage in Dungeons because everything dies before I can ramp up.
    I use Icy Veins as a resource for talent selection but I wanted to hear what you all think.
    What talents should I be using while questing/dungeon running?

So far I am leveling Affliction but I feel like I do no damage in Dungeons because everything dies before I can ramp up.
    I use Icy Veins as a resource for talent selection but I wanted to hear what you all think.
    What talents should I be using while questing/dungeon running?
    Ironically, during early levels Affliction is very unlike how it's played at endgame. Your DoTs hit like wet noodles and with the low enemy HP are hardly even worth casting at all.

Instead, it's all about one spell that you never use at max level: Haunt. With heirloom gear, it oneshots just about every mob until well into the level 80s, and because things die so rapidly its cooldown resets immediately. It basically means that early levels Affliction is a heavy-nuke class rather than a DoT class. Even with a large number of enemies, it's often better to simply tab-spam Haunt and oneshot them with every cast rather than spread DoTs to everything; this is especially true before you have Mastery at 78.

...No legion flying and never completed Suramar.
    I'm going to go against the grain here and say that if you're really concerned about efficiency with leveling and gearing, getting flying is going to be the single best investment of time you can make. It's a grind, no doubt, but once you have it, the amount of time you save doing world quests, completing quest zones (especially Suramar), farming herbs/ore, or traveling to Mythic dungeons is well worth it.

If you're at all close to getting the reputations completed on one of your other characters, I'd really urge you to just bang out the grind and unlock flying. You'll be very happy you did, I promise.

Deleted
    The devs deliberately implemented catchup stuff in Argus with invasions and stuff, that's why there's Veiled Argunite you can use to buy stuff. That's enough of a legup to get you into most things, although it's too late if you want to do progression raiding, unless you find a very understanding guild that does something like alt-gearing runs which they'll take you into or where LFR gear is tolerable though it represents something of a carry for, say, heroic Antorus.

Affliction is really bad at low level dungeons because everything dies too fast. It has ever been thus. It was horrid even at the expansion start, as soon as anyone got halfway decent gear, affliction was a joke for normal and heroic dungeons due to the chronic ramp.

The most problematic factor when it comes to raiding is legendaries. You can get carried to regular gear, but there's little your guild can do to stop you from rolling Norgannon and Portal Legs as your first legendaries.

The change to legendary farming next patch should help with that, though. Preliminary testing suggests just about 2/week if you go out of your way to farm Essence, and this is apparently all outside the regular legendary drops which are already at about 1/week if you do enough BLP stuff. So at 3/week you should have everything you need fairly quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by cafecito820 View Post
    I'm going to go against the grain here and say that if you're really concerned about efficiency with leveling and gearing, getting flying is going to be the single best investment of time you can make. It's a grind, no doubt, but once you have it, the amount of time you save doing world quests, completing quest zones (especially Suramar), farming herbs/ore, or traveling to Mythic dungeons is well worth it.

If you're at all close to getting the reputations completed on one of your other characters, I'd really urge you to just bang out the grind and unlock flying. You'll be very happy you did, I promise.
    I believe my Warrior is closest with 4100/21000 Revered with NightFallen and 10310/12000 Honored with AoL
    Finishing Suramar is all I need to complete Pathfinder Part 1 but I am not clear on what is required for flying after that.
    Based on my Rep, am I close enough to warrant getting flying and then level a Warlock while still having time to experience end game content with said Warlock?

Also, once I get account wide flying for Legion, there is no need for me to do any of that content again and I can just go straight to Argus, is that correct?
    Is Veiled Argunite rare or farmable?