Thread: Leveling Mage

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Leveling Mage

Hi guys,

what is the best spec for leveling 90 to 100 and to 110? Also what are the better methods of accomplishing this effectively?

I heard arcane is good to becuz it 2 3 shots any mobs while leveling up until 100? Is this true? And frost on the other hand is slow slow dps dps kill spec.

Please advise thank you.

Deleted
    I leveled from 1 to 103 as arcane, until you start legion stuff it is fine. You can pretty much oneshot most normal quest mobs if you have full arcane charges. It feels a bit squishy while leveling on broken isles though. Switched to frost after getting all the artifact weapons and didn't look back.

So arcane is the fast/easy to kill spec up until mid 100ish?

Deleted
    It is great for everything before broken isles. If I were to do it again I would get the frost artifact first and level the entire legion content as frost. Not sure what you mean by "kill spec".

Arcane is a fantastic level spec from level 18 to 100 thanks to arcane explosion (for instances).
    As for broken isles leveling it still is a very viable leveling spec, roughly equal to frost. As arcane you have constant high damage (and can kite mobs like frost with slow), but are going to have mana breaks (or have to clear your stacks which results in miserable damage).
    Frost has it's damage potential in its procs. If you have no icelance or flurry procs you have to tickle the mobs to death with frostbolt, but on the other hands if it procs you will destroy any mob. And thanks to several frost novas it has a higher survivability potential.

So my advise: If you want to level with questing and instances I would go arcane, if you want to mainly do invasions I suggest you go frost.
    And don't forget you can just switch to whatever suits you best, as artifact power while leveling is completely pointless and you will only get relics if you actually go questing.

If you like to rush through quests Fire can be quite good - unlimited kiting, strong and self healing. I always felt Frost a bit too stationary while with fire you can run around like a bunny killing quest mobs as scorch and instants are more than enough.

Quote Originally Posted by bbj View Post
    Hi guys,

what is the best spec for leveling 90 to 100 and to 110? Also what are the better methods of accomplishing this effectively?

I heard arcane is good to becuz it 2 3 shots any mobs while leveling up until 100? Is this true? And frost on the other hand is slow slow dps dps kill spec.

Please advise thank you.
    Leveling another mage currently.

Used Arcane from 15-54 for dungeons. Arcane explosion is too good for how fast mobs die in dungeons.
    I did quests from 54-59 as frost/fire. A hard cast Flurry + 1 Ice Lance kills a mob. Generally fast. Fire is a bit faster if you're good at using Firestarter and able to tag other mobs to keep pyros going.

At level 60, hard change to fire. Abusing firestarter and flame on. Alexstrasza's fury may be better in dungeons, however, have yet to try.

I've been a fire mage since WotLK so my heart will always lean toward fire. You can't go wrong with any spec for leveling. Buy a few haste enchants for your neck and cloak. Vers on chest and a haste or crit weapon enchant. If you can afford it, keep your rings, bracers, boots and gloves enchanted with haste and the leveling experience will be a joke. If you can find spellthreads for your pants, use them. GL.

Quote Originally Posted by Angrie View Post
    Leveling another mage currently.

Used Arcane from 15-54 for dungeons. Arcane explosion is too good for how fast mobs die in dungeons.
    I did quests from 54-59 as frost/fire. A hard cast Flurry + 1 Ice Lance kills a mob. Generally fast. Fire is a bit faster if you're good at using Firestarter and able to tag other mobs to keep pyros going.

At level 60, hard change to fire. Abusing firestarter and flame on. Alexstrasza's fury may be better in dungeons, however, have yet to try.

I've been a fire mage since WotLK so my heart will always lean toward fire. You can't go wrong with any spec for leveling. Buy a few haste enchants for your neck and cloak. Vers on chest and a haste or crit weapon enchant. If you can afford it, keep your rings, bracers, boots and gloves enchanted with haste and the leveling experience will be a joke. If you can find spellthreads for your pants, use them. GL.
    I couldn’t agree more. Fire is honestly one of the most engaging and entertaining specs of any of the classes I’ve played over the years.

In short, though...

Frost=Heavy CC/Slows and survival.

Arcane=Consistent Damage

Fire=High Mobility and explosive (literally) damage bursts.

I personally don’t feel like there is a “best “ spec for leveling, and it ultimately comes down to what the player wants in their playstyle.

Quote Originally Posted by bbj View Post
    Hi guys,

Please advise thank you.
    Fire is fun because it has so many instant casts and burst, but tbh you can level as any spec. I know you probably expected to hear atleast one answer like this, but leveling really is a joke and the difference in speed/ease from best to worst spec is so MINIMAL you wouldn't even notice it. Leveled my mage as frost from 1-110, it was a joke how easy and fast it was.

Deleted
    I'm gonna go with Fire. If you spec into the talent that makes your first hit a guaranteed crit you can just run around and kill everything really fast.
    If your opening spell and your instant Pyroblast hits a 100% hp mob at the same time, you'll instantly trigger another instant Pyroblast. Just Fireball-Pyroblast the next target and gather them up before you end it all with a Meteor and Flamestrike.

It's underrated

My Void elf mage is fire, and is gonna be fire, Because i like fire. So many instant pyroblasts, so much fire, so much fun

100-110 I went frost first, super easy and everything died quickly. It worked well enough that I didn't go in the open world as arcane or fire, just did it for the artifact.

7+ Year Old Account
    Used the frostspec for the entire leveling proces. The beginning can be a bit frustrating since you rely on procs a lot so you hardcast flurry. ice rooting helped a lot to get damage when you don't have procs. Once you get your frozen orb it gets better and better. I can imagine why people would prefer fire or arcane, but frost is certainly viable because of it's kiting, cleave and hardhitting abilities. AOE is also very decent.

Frost. At lower levels I did find arcane to be a lot better just because you kill everything so fast and frost doesn't have its toolset yet. But once you get frost orb, frost is just fine the rest of the way, and even better once you reach legion content. I also find frost the most fun to play.

Anyone complaining that mages are too fragile and squishy need to learn how to properly kite. It's amazing how many mages I see in the open world standing still and tanking damage.
    Last edited by Echoherb; 2018-04-01 at 03:34 PM.

It is true. With Arcane you 2 shot mobs all way to 110, just sometimes you have to sit to drink.

Arcane or fire. About equal, arcane probably slightly better if you stop to answer phone calls, grab drinks, etc, fire prob slightly better consistently, both are good. Frost is completely terrible for leveling, like almost worst in game.

- - - Updated - - -

No idea why anyone would suggest frost ... they just really don't know how to level at all, or haven't leveled a character quickly. Frost is SUPER slow. They wasted their time.

Quote Originally Posted by fiestatastic View Post
    Arcane or fire. About equal, arcane probably slightly better if you stop to answer phone calls, grab drinks, etc, fire prob slightly better consistently, both are good. Frost is completely terrible for leveling, like almost worst in game.

- - - Updated - - -

No idea why anyone would suggest frost ... they just really don't know how to level at all, or haven't leveled a character quickly. Frost is SUPER slow. They wasted their time.
    Frost isn't slow at all, plus you have a lot more control and survivability with frost.

Deleted
    Hey,

fire mage is the only way.
    - high burst
    - Efficient multitarget damage if they are stacked

you can pull what you want and kill they easly.

frost.

the other 2 specs are for diehards with gear.

Fire Mage is pretty easy w/ Firestarter.

Fireball + Fireblast = Pyroblast = usually dead.

That combo starts to fall off around 30 however, with mobs needing an additional Fireball if your Pyroblast doesn't crit.