Router advice / recommendation

Hi
    I have had the TG589VAC router for years now originally supplied to me by Utility Warehouse (ex ISP), I have since moved to Sky broadband for 2 years and I have been using this same router with Sky for those 2 years, due to Sky's own router not being very good.
    I think this router is better than Sky's which is why I want to use it but as of today I am facing issues..

I had to use Wireshark to obtain my sky username and password, it works and always has with this router but today the router keeps losing the sky usernamd and password in PPP settings and reverts back to the utility warehouse user/pass, causing my internet connection to drop, this has been happening every half hour, really annoying.

I have changed it back to Sky's a dozen times now, even factory reset it and reconfigured the router from scratch adding sky's info but it keeps reverting back and making me lose connection.

Do you know how I could fix this?

------------------------------

On topic but another question, if worse comes worse and I need to use the Sky router as a temp measure, can anyone recommend me what is a good router to go for these days?
    I use wired primarily for gaming on PC, as well as streaming HD videos downstairs to the TV from my PC. Also watching netflix and other general usage such as phones etc.. Sometimes these can be used simultaneously due to partner using Netflix when I maybe gaming etc.

Thanks
    Dstrukt

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/D-Link-DIR-...9-f22ed670f7e9

Is this any good @ £47.99 ?

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Pa...dp_ob_title_ce

Wait for CES to end, if you can.

A TON of new Routers are getting released, and older routers of high quality are going down in price because of it.

15+ Year Old Account
    You cannot fix it, I've had this issue with routers and that's when the NVRAM and others are busted.

Causing a reboot of the router at random times and each reboot it resets to factory default.

Simply put your ISP should deliver you a new one if you ask for it, having said that it'll end up being a cheap PoS anyway.

My recommendation:
    Get a new Modem/Router combo because you think it's a router, unfortunately it's also your modem, meaning you need that as well.
    https://www.asus.com/Networking/DSL-AC52U/
    https://www.asus.com/Networking/DSL-AC55U/
    https://www.asus.com/Networking/DSL-AC51/
    https://www.asus.com/Networking/DSL-AC750/

Pick any of the above which falls in your price bracket and availability.
    They're straight forward to set up and SHOULD be compatible with any ADSL2(+) and VDSL provider, including Sky.
    Just be aware of how many Ethernet ports you require because I believe the bottom 2 only have 2 ethernet ports where the top 2 have 4 ports.

My recommendation of the above:
    Pick one of the top 2 as they have 4 ports and a separate WAN port (should you ever move to Virgin (cable) or Fiber) along with the RJ11 ADSL/VDSL connection.

Out of many router brands I've tried the ASUS ones have been consistently more stable and considerably more powerful WiFi.

Edit:
    Please ignore above poster as CES will not offer any new or useful ADSL/VDSL Modem/Router which you NEED.

- - - Updated - - -

Another sidenote I forgot to mention:

If your provider uses VOIP over their units you are going to be shit out of luck, most providers refuse to give out their VOIP settings for modem/routers. (your fixed landline being connected to your modem in other words, not a splitter! If via splitter BEFORE modem then you're fine!)
    And there are modem/routers for sale you can use but then you're entering "Expensive" territory, we're talking Draytek items which'll easily cost 130+ GBP for their cheapest models.

In which case you're likely going to be forced to contact Sky again to get a new modem from them.
    Last edited by Evildeffy; 2018-01-09 at 10:18 PM.
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."
    - Kirito, Sword Art Online Abridged by Something Witty Entertainment

I do already have a brand new sky router, I just decided to not use it as they're not the best.
    Might have to for abit til I get new one.
    Looking at the AC55U, £65 I'll pay that. How good is that router then? Will it serve me well, I'm a heavy Internet user and gamer

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DStrukt View Post
    I do already have a brand new sky router, I just decided to not use it as they're not the best.
    Might have to for abit til I get new one.
    Looking at the AC55U, £65 I'll pay that. How good is that router then? Will it serve me well, I'm a heavy Internet user and gamer
    It's not their high-end models so don't expect uber things from it... That said it's predecessor (DSL-N55U) was rated as one of the best modem/routers in class because it was simply that good.

I don't have any personal experience for the DSL-AC55U but if it's predecessor is anything to go by... It'll be VERY good for it's money.

Please remember that you need the DSL-AC55U model.. NOT the RT-AC55U model.

You NEED a modem/router combo.
    Just make sure you get the proper settings from Sky to use to set your ADSL/VDSL connection (need more than just your username and password)
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."
    - Kirito, Sword Art Online Abridged by Something Witty Entertainment

Thank you, I will ensure I have those before ordering. I'm going to use the sky hub first to see just how bad it is zig I can forget I'm using it I'll keep it and save myself £65. On other hand if I feel that I'm.using it getting drop outs often or bad signal on phone I'll buy new one

Deleted
    AC1200 is the one I'm using now, no complaints, but to be fair, I mostly use it on the loo. Still, it's strong enough to go through the window and 3 stories down, so I would have wifi when I'm smoking downstairs.

The AC1750 is what I used in college, and that thing is a beast. But to be fair, we only needed it because there were like 30 other wifi networks in range and overkill was the only way to avoid interference. Plus back then not everything had 5 GHz capabilities, so we needed a strong 2.4 signal.

That said, no idea if you actually need that. Having a ~$30 5 GHz router will generally work, if you are not in a network over saturated area.

I am not in a position right now to be buying things I dont REALLY need, i.e using this sky router works, time will tell if I NEED to buy another

If I can get away with not having to spend £65 I wont bother otherwise like I said, then I will have too

Cheers very much for the advice
    Last edited by DStrukt; 2018-01-10 at 04:45 PM.