Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Aiming for 2k rating this season, a few question for the pros

1) How exactly does MMR work? One game I'm facing someone who never played arena before and the next I'm up against a vindictive gladiator. I'm currently sitting at 1655 rating and 80% of teams I face have way above 2k experience. Is this something that happens at the start of a season? Does it even out towards the end?

2) What addons are considered a *must*? My main issue is keeping track of what's going on and it's sometimes hard to follow with having to watch 2 cast bars and a zoo of pets running all over the place. Are there any addons that make the enemy players stand out more?

3) Does the game try to give you a 50% win rate? If I go above, will it give me progressively more experienced teams until I start losing more?

4) Is 2k rating something that can be YOLO'd with randoms from group finder? Or is it more of a rating at which stable teams play? What's the difference between a 1.5k player, a 2k player and a 2.7k player?

5) How heavily comp dependent is 2v2 right now?

Thanks for taking your time to answer.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    1) How exactly does MMR work? One game I'm facing someone who never played arena before and the next I'm up against a vindictive gladiator. I'm currently sitting at 1655 rating and 80% of teams I face have way above 2k experience. Is this something that happens at the start of a season? Does it even out towards the end?

2) What addons are considered a *must*? My main issue is keeping track of what's going on and it's sometimes hard to follow with having to watch 2 cast bars and a zoo of pets running all over the place. Are there any addons that make the enemy players stand out more?

3) Does the game try to give you a 50% win rate? If I go above, will it give me progressively more experienced teams until I start losing more?

4) Is 2k rating something that can be YOLO'd with randoms from group finder? Or is it more of a rating at which stable teams play? What's the difference between a 1.5k player, a 2k player and a 2.7k player?

1) It's early season. R1s and stuff still have to farm MMR up, doesn't take long until you'll stop facing them. Those Vindi R1s start at 1500 mmr too, previous exp doesn't matter.
    2) Gladius, that's about it in terms of arena addons.
    3) Not really, it's all MMR based.
    4) Yes, and there's not a lot of difference these days. Pretty much any mongo can get 2k, it's easier than it's ever been.
    5) Very.
    Last edited by Krusza; 2018-01-11 at 03:59 AM.

1) MMR works by adjusting your "skill" +/- according to who you're winning and losing against. If you're winning versus someone with high MMR your own MMR will skyrocket and vice versa. The reason you're facing lots of R1s and Gladiators is because the season just reset (and with that MMR). You'll stop facing most of them in a week or so. But keep in mind that most people that play PvP in Legion have got a ton of experience compared to you (almost everyone that plays PvP is an addicted veteran).

2) No addons are "really" must haves. But an arena-enemy tracker such as gladius or sArena is recommended. On top of that BigDebuff seems to help a lot of people. Regarding your question of visibility, I'm assuming you are using nameplates yes? If not you should be, and if you are you can filter some of the pets out using AddOns (threatplates for example).

3) Yes it does, it tries to match you up with people of similar MMR as yourself (ie similar skill level) so that you should have a 50% chance of winning. If it can't find anyone around your level it will reward you more / punish you less if you should win/lose against a team that's higher or lower MMR respectively, thus getting your MMR to a point where you have a 50% win chance. The system is not perfect though and some people will have 90% winrates (simply because they are the best, or because they are gaming the system by queue dodging better people/counter-comps) and others will have almost 0% because they are absolutely dreadfully bad (almost to the point where afk in the starting room would be better kind of bad) and won't win at any MMR, no matter how low (or they'll quit playing before reaching an MMR low enough where they might start winning).

4) Yes, 2K has never been easier to achieve, well actually since the season just reset 2K is actually probably quite hard to get right this moment. But give it a few weeks and 2K will be the easiest to get its ever been. The gameplay is simpler than ever before and the inflation is going to make it self known.

5) Very. Has been been for many many seasons. If you are not playing a T1 comp you will struggle, and even if you are you will struggle against that T1 comps counter-comps. There are games you are simply not supposed to win unless your opponents fuck up majorly. However, at 2K rating people are nowhere near the skillcap and therefore are prone to making mistakes large enough such that you can win, even against countercomps. What I'm trying to say is, as long as you're not playing an absolute garbage comp, at 2K MMR or below skill is far more important than outcomping.
    Last edited by RelaZ; 2017-04-01 at 09:05 PM.

The ones who replied below you pretty much answered the questions, although there is something that caught my eye that I would like to help you with.

The question I have in bold is one that actually gives me a better understanding of your current situation, one that says you lack awareness of what is happening in arena, which is completely understandable as someone who might be new to the pvp scene and trying to climb.

I would first like to tell you that awareness comes with practice, as with all things, at first it might overwhelm you but overtime if you understand what it is that you should be keeping track of, you'll eventually filter out all the useless details and only see the important ones.

There might be addons that help you with this, some more than others, but I do not believe using heavy addons that play the game for you to be useful to you in the long run.

If your goal is only 2k to get the elite set, I would advise you either pick a strong comp in 2v2 or play rbgs( even with pugs), it is very easy to climb to 2k as rbgs even more so than arenas atm, as long as you do your "job" you can pretty much get carried by others even if you play it like a raid style pve mode sadly.

One last thing I must advise you with is, I noticed you are asking about an addon that helps you "see" players clearly, I figure this is mainly a targeting issue as you most likely are using tab to shift through targets, this can be cumbersome to people who do not want to keybind arena 1,2,3 targeting, especially since in rbgs you cannot key up to 15 and it would be folly to do so, as such I would advise you to go to the keybinding section and change your tab to "target players only" ( you can put another bind for normal targeting), that way when you tab in a bg or rbg you will not longer tab into pets,totems etc, only players, this is not a sure fix to the problem but consider it a half measure that will help you in the short run.

Later on if you wish to do arenas more seriously,binding arena targeting is a much quicker and efficient way of targeting.

I hope this was helpful info to you.

Thanks for advice everyone! After some practice I managed to achieve 2k in 2v2 today. Got a few questions concerning elite gear now:

1) Will I be able to buy it from a vendor next season?
    2) If I tank my rating now, will I still be able to buy it?
    3) Can I sit on 2k and farm pvp WQs for elite pieces?

Thanks for your time!

Thanks for advice everyone! After some practice I managed to achieve 2k in 2v2 today. Got a few questions concerning elite gear now:

Thanks for your time!
    1) Yes (EDIT: No, you'll be able to buy it in S5, so in two seasons)
    2) Yes
    3) Unsure, probably not. Probably has to be rated content above 2K for it to even start dropping I can't remember getting elite pieces from anywhere else at least.

Gz btw.
    Last edited by RelaZ; 2017-04-09 at 04:12 PM.

Thanks for your time!
    For the first question, I am going to say NO. They talked about this in the last QA on twitch IIRC. They do NOT want us to be able to buy current season gear as transmog while the season is still active, and since season 3 and 4 share the same armor sets, you most likely will not be able to buy the ensemble until season 4 is over.

Yes to second. You just need the achievement granted at 2k rating.
    No, world quests do not give you elite gear. At least I never got a single elite piece there.. And no elite gear from regular BGs.
    You were good, kid, real good. But as long as I'm around, you'll always be second best, see?
    ______________________________________________________________________________
    Oh, and no comment from Xe'ra about how the assault on the black temple was being led in part by the naaru. So was hatred corrupting A'dal's mind too, you pretentious windchime?
    - Volpethrope

Omni bar would be a good addon, not sure what class/spec you play but you can make it so a little icon (or big) shows up where ever you want on the screen that shows when the enemy uses a skill and how long is remaining. 100% recommended if you play a caster but it also comes in handy for spell reflects, cloak of shadows, evasion etc. quite easy to set up and well worth the time, I play a warlock and I put the Omni bar right above my cast bar but below my character, very easy to notice.

Deleted
    Omni, Trufi, Gladius.

You can faceroll 2k. Comp matters, but not really at 2k.

You just have to be skilled.

I just wanna say grats (bump) and well deserved. The op asked the right questions and was open minded enough to get the 2k. If more people had this attitude, there would be less mindless complaining about "healers are immortal" and crap like that.
    Good job.

Hello all, how hard it is compared to 2s to reach 3s 2k rating? I am trying to achieve that currently but very new to the pvp scene also. Any place where we can also see the best comps for 2s/3s?

Quote Originally Posted by Valaut View Post
    Hello all, how hard it is compared to 2s to reach 3s 2k rating? I am trying to achieve that currently but very new to the pvp scene also. Any place where we can also see the best comps for 2s/3s?
    3s is quite a bit harder. A lot more variables.

http://www.skill-capped.com/content/...wow-tier-list/

Quote Originally Posted by Krassz View Post
    1) It's early season. R1s and stuff still have to farm MMR up, doesn't take long until you'll stop facing them.
    2) Gladius, that's about it in terms of arena addons.
    3) Not really, it's all MMR based.
    4) Yes, and there's not a lot of difference these days. Pretty much any mongo can get 2k, it's easier than it's ever been.
    5) Very.
    Wheres your 2k for current season? Just curious since "any mongo" can get it

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Appelgren View Post
    Wheres your 2k for current season? Just curious since "any mongo" can get it
    Why are you quoting a thread from a year ago?

I don't play anymore, so it's sorta hard to get rating when I DON'T EVEN LOG IN.

Even if I did play, I wouldn't play the heaping pile of dogshit that is Legion 3s.
    Last edited by Krusza; 2018-01-09 at 03:43 PM.

Deleted

I don't play anymore, so it's sorta hard to get rating when I DON'T EVEN LOG IN.

Even if I did play, I wouldn't play the heaping pile of dogshit that is Legion 3s.
    He did say question for the pros .. Not toilet blocks, when have you ever not been a floater?

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemlol View Post
    He did say question for the pros .. Not toilet blocks, when have you ever not been a floater?
    Yeah, forgot you had to be at blizzcon to know how MMR works and how easy 2k is to get.
    Last edited by Krusza; 2018-01-11 at 03:57 AM.

Doesnt change the fact that you didnt have 2k when you made that post

Deleted
    Or that the rating he actually did get was bought from known boosters.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemlol View Post
    Or that the rating he actually did get was bought from known boosters.
    If you wanna back that up, sure. If not, I've got screenshots from every season where I've had high rating and you can tell me who was boosting me. I don't know who the fuck you are nor do I really give a fuck either.

I think I've got a good idea of who you are actually, if you could stop stalking me across the internet due to how salty you are that'd be great.

- - - Updated - - -

Errr... pretty sure I did. Stop crying just because I'm shit talking something you can't even get.

How the fuck would you even know? Just admit you're a retard and didn't realize the thread is a year old.

God... I already regret posting on this forum full of downies.
    Last edited by Krusza; 2018-01-11 at 05:59 AM.