Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ...
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Hope Canadians boycott, Tim Horton's is crap fast food anyways. Yes I said it Canada, your revered chain is garbage. You can do better.
    Funny since it isn’t even a Canadian company.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Plutarch78 View Post
    Stop feeling sorry for yourselves would be a start. Adapt or die.

- - - Updated - - -

You're correct in that saturation does lead to wage decrease. Do you know how many high-paying blue collar jobs go unfulfilled because this generation believes its underneath them?

- - - Updated - - -

So you honestly think someone flips burgers should earn the same as someone with education/training and years of experience? Keep dreaming, snowflake. And yes if you aren't bothering to learn the language of the country you're living in after several years then you have no business being there in the first place.
    Sorry for myself? That doesn't answer my question -- Are you an Internet Millionaire or did you go to school, earn a degree, and get a job paying mediocre wages that you have to attack the lower brackets?

Yes high paying blue collar jobs that have thousands of applicants every time there is an opening. Blue Collar jobs that were tossed by the way-side 10 years ago when the housing market broke. Blue collar jobs with men and women with 20+ years of experience that ended up in retail jobs to pay the bills when nobody was building houses. Jobs that people like yourself tout as the end-all be all if you don't want to go to college and then pay a handyman without a license to do the same work because it's a cheaper alternative.

And nobody ever said skilled jobs should be paid the same as unskilled jobs. Just that unskilled jobs have a wage that's livable and not bare sustenance.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    Sorry for myself? That doesn't answer my question -- Are you an Internet Millionaire or did you go to school, earn a degree, and get a job paying mediocre wages that you have to attack the lower brackets?

Yes high paying blue collar jobs that have thousands of applicants every time there is an opening. Blue Collar jobs that were tossed by the way-side 10 years ago when the housing market broke. Blue collar jobs with men and women with 20+ years of experience that ended up in retail jobs to pay the bills when nobody was building houses. Jobs that people like yourself tout as the end-all be all if you don't want to go to college and then pay a handyman without a license to do the same work because it's a cheaper alternative.

And nobody ever said skilled jobs should be paid the same as unskilled jobs. Just that unskilled jobs have a wage that's livable and not bare sustenance.
    What difference does it make if I'm a internet millionaire or not (FYI: I went to school, earned my degree, didn't blow my part-time job earnings and student loans on expensive trips to Denmark, and have a good paying job)?

You make it sound like blue collar jobs are a thing of the past. They aren't. Labor is in short supply in both white collar and blue collar fields. The problem is kids these days are being told "Live for your dreams! You can be anything!" Thats why they major in bullshit degrees that don't teach them job skills that employers are looking for. And they wonder why they find themselves working at restaurants.

If unskilled jobs were "livable" then that would create a disincentive to go out and becomes skilled or educated when I can just mop floors at Burger King and pay my rent. Automation is going to be the future. You can either piss and moan about it and vote for Bernie or adapt to the changing economy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    There's absolutely no evidence to suggest it does.

Then tough shit? Why are these businesses worth protecting but employees aren't?

If your business model is contingent upon paying people insufficient money to live despite working full time, you don't deserve to be in business. Someone else will fill the market demand.

No. I happen to be white and upper middle class; you were the one who brought in 'the language' as if it was some argument against higher minimum wage. Clearly that means you don't think Hispanics deserve to be paid well for their work.
    Keep voting for Bernie, millennial!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I still don't understand this line that these jobs are jobs you do while going to college. If I am doing an engineering degree, there is no possible way I can also go through a 40 hour work week. I actually have to be in class.
    Ever hear of working during the summer between semesters?

10+ Year Old Account
    What difference does it make if I'm a internet millionaire or not (FYI: I went to school, earned my degree, didn't blow my part-time job earnings and student loans on expensive trips to Denmark, and have a good paying job)?

You make it sound like blue collar jobs are a thing of the past. They aren't. Labor is in short supply in both white collar and blue collar fields. The problem is kids these days are being told "Live for your dreams! You can be anything!" Thats why they major in bullshit degrees that don't teach them job skills that employers are looking for. And they wonder why they find themselves working at restaurants.

If unskilled jobs were "livable" then that would create a disincentive to go out and becomes skilled or educated when I can just mop floors at Burger King and pay my rent. Automation is going to be the future. You can either piss and moan about it and vote for Bernie or adapt to the changing economy.
    It makes plenty of difference because there's a rather disturbing trend of barely-haves in the $18-$20/hour range who foam at the mouth about low-skill work getting better pay. It's almost like those people accepted what they thought were good wages at the time and are angry that those who didn't do exactly as they did don't deserve more money. It's odd considering folks like Didactic, myself, Ninespine, and several other upper middle class individuals don't seem to have such an issue with eliminating corporate welfare by paying livable wages.

I never said blue collar workers were a thing of the past. I carry a plumbing license for the State of Illinois as well as one to work in the City of Chicago. I also have a Class 1 Locomotive Engineer's license that allows me to operate a locomotive in both the United States and Canada. Just as you choose to argue about people with bullshit degrees I can make the same claims toward people like you trying to force individuals into trade jobs with no mechanical ability. Some people are simply not cut out for particular fields of work.

See you have this notion that people will stop being skilled if they don't have to be. You're making the claim that people will suddenly all do the bare minimum because they have no sense of wanting to do more. There is no sense in this argument. There will always be people who will do more because they want more in life. The reason a majority of people continue to work harder.

Automation -- It's happening and it's not exclusive to low level work. You know the railroad replaced engineers with remote control locomotives to assist in flat switching and hump operations? Did you know that ROSS using IBM's Watson is finding answers for lawyers? Did you hear about Tesla's self-driving trucks?

Yes a changing economy that involves the mediocre holding the poor underwater and paying no heed to the continuously rising waters. I know how long I can tread water....the question is: How long can you?
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

10+ Year Old Account
    Keep voting for Bernie, millennial!
    I voted against Bernie, actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrages View Post
    As I've stated, I worked in the service industry and I can guarantee you there's nothing about it worth $15/h. Minimum wage is meant to be a pittance. If you're not motivated enough to go for better for yourself, somebody else shouldn't be penalized for that.
    I don't know how much you earn but $15/hr IS a fucking pittance.

If you offered me triple that I would laugh and turn you down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrages View Post
    It's just an arbitrary number, either way. You and I would both laugh at that amount, why? Because you didn't go to school to make shit money and neither did I. Outside of people that are just purely interested in learning for the sake of learning, why in the world would anybody pay to go to college if they could make engineer money with a retard's leveling of understanding? That's all service industry and general minimum wage jobs are, you're basically a trained monkey. You're easily replaceable and you should be paid as such.
    Funny thing is, if I'd quit my degree like 4 years earlier I would've earned more money. When I got my first job, my degree was actually held against me...

This debate is really stupid, getting a degree makes you "deserve" a higher wage? Don't be ridiculous. And as for learning and understanding, the higher up you go in an organisation the dumber and less skilled people are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.