Beta Key Giveaway Week 2: Winners have been selected!

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Watch Star Wars Rebels

Quote Originally Posted by Aurrora View Post
    Not really, they tossed out 99% of the EU material and placed the OT characters in a holding pattern of doing fuck-all until Episode VII, so they really can't bring anything from the Post ROTJ EU back into canon now.
    the post rotj canon was the worse part of the eu so i'm totally fine with them leaving most if not all of it not.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    the post rotj canon was the worse part of the eu so i'm totally fine with them leaving most if not all of it not.
    Thrawn trilogy, X-wing series? Shadows of the Empire is also a good piece of the EU that can easily be plugged right back in the current canon without it causing any waves, but has been relegated to Legends status(WTB CG SotE movie).

Quote Originally Posted by Aurrora View Post
    Thrawn trilogy, X-wing series? Shadows of the Empire is also a good piece of the EU that can easily be plugged right back in the current canon without it causing any waves, but has been relegated to Legends status(WTB CG SotE movie).
    i know thrawn atlest is back in the cannon not that i know how he is as I've not watched rebels or red his books. my biggest problem with the eu is every thing after ROTJ there were a few story's i liked before then like death troopers and what not and some i liked in the old republic but i can't think of a single one i liked that took place after episode 6.

Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    He won't listen to anything. He has one goal and that is to poop on ANYONE that likes current cannon. I mean don't get me wrong I love the old EU a ton as well. Read a lot of books. But the thing is for me I can still read those books and enjoy them with or without them being cannon. I can enjoy the new stuff with it being cannon and be ok. I don't let things like "mechanics" in a fantasy sci-fi movie determine if it is good or not. He does. Any conversation you have with him will go insanely negative (but I posted this so to be negative against me you might get a positive /cross fingers).

But I will be honest the new comics have been amazing. The 3 new cannon books I have read are top notch (I hear a couple aren't but I don't speak for things I don't read). The movies have been hit or miss for me. I don't think they have found an all time classic yet but they have been entertaining movies for the most part. What more can you ask for? (besides me like the old so old is all that matters /feet stomp)
    Saying stupid shit like ITS SCIFI FANTASY IT DONT HAVE TO MAKE SENSE is beyond dumb. It just goes to show you think very little while watching it are are just attracted to the bright lights and explosions and lightsabers. Things in starwars had a reason, rules and mechanics to why they happned, just saying its scifi doesnt mean it should all go away to retarded level of bullshit disney is making it to be just to apeal to people like you who are distracted by lights and explosions. The new movies have been ok scifi movies but terrible starwars movies. the old EU is and will remain to be far better, more fleshed, more details and have much better characters than this trash disney has been shoveling to the mass's like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Things in starwars had a reason, rules and mechanics to why they happned, just saying its scifi doesnt mean it should all go away to retarded level of bullshit...
    Please name just 5 things that make Star Wars warfare superior to what we have now.

Saying stupid shit like ITS SCIFI FANTASY IT DONT HAVE TO MAKE SENSE is beyond dumb. It just goes to show you think very little while watching it are are just attracted to the bright lights and explosions and lightsabers. Things in starwars had a reason, rules and mechanics to why they happned, just saying its scifi doesnt mean it should all go away to retarded level of bullshit disney is making it to be just to apeal to people like you who are distracted by lights and explosions. The new movies have been ok scifi movies but terrible starwars movies. the old EU is and will remain to be far better, more fleshed, more details and have much better characters than this trash disney has been shoveling to the mass's like you.
    I know somewhere in here I am suppose to feel something.. but.. it just missed the spot. I think if it was coming from someone with the respectable ability to display an opinion without pointless insults and childish antics it might have. But.. its you.. and you are always you.. and thus.. just don't matter. In honor of you and this post I will purchase an online ticket to The Last Jedi. With someone as strong as an opinion as you.. damn.. disney has earned this ticket sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    I know somewhere in here I am suppose to feel something.. but.. it just missed the spot. I think if it was coming from someone with the respectable ability to display an opinion without pointless insults and childish antics it might have. But.. its you.. and you are always you.. and thus.. just don't matter. In honor of you and this post I will purchase an online ticket to The Last Jedi. With someone as strong as an opinion as you.. damn.. disney has earned this ticket sell.
    how is it childish to point out that someone is part of the problem. putting a blanket statement that something doesnt need to make sense to happen cus its scifi fantasy is by far the stupidiest statement one cant make and only proves to show ignorance. Go ahead and go watch the movie and revel in the flashy lights and explosions.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfram View Post
    Dunno, I can still feel the magic when watching the original trilogy or when playing certain games.

But the new movies? It looks like their writers have absolutely no idea what Star Wars is about. Nothing but lost potential, both in Star Trek and Star Wars. Lucas scetched a tremendously rich world and, despite of many awkward things in the prequels, vastly expanded it further. Until Abrams shrunk it without any explanation.

And TLJ? It's literally two hours of the First Order chasing one Resistance cruiser at sublight, while the supposedly most powerful Force user who has ever lived does nothing but whines on a little island. And the setting in general -- wtf happened to the galaxy-wide Republic? One pesky group of space nazis obliterating it entirely without a fight? Nothing in the new movies make sense in any context. Their main purpose seems to be to intentionally ruin everything for old fans by finding retarded ways to kill off all the classic hero characters.
    And ESB is just the story of the Empire attacking a base on the ass end of nowhere then pursuing one ship before Vader invites everyone for dinner, while Luke receives basic philosophy lessons from a small, trolling old man. I feel that you can make anything sound bad if you're reductive enough.

Maybe it's because I never watched the Star Wars movies in my youth (well apart from the prequels actually) but I never felt this magic. They're entertaining movies that have some hugely iconic visual and audio designs, but were I to do a list of my favorite movies I'd struggle to put a single Star Wars flick in the top 20. I just don't have the reverence for any of them that some people seem to have.

how is it childish to point out that someone is part of the problem. putting a blanket statement that something doesnt need to make sense to happen cus its scifi fantasy is by far the stupidiest statement one cant make and only proves to show ignorance. Go ahead and go watch the movie and revel in the flashy lights and explosions.
    Im not even going. Just bought it to throw money at Disney in your honor. But I digress. No reason to reply to you from this point. Might as well just buy a second ticket as well. Ta-Ta and its good to know.

To be on topic, the magic is alive as well. But just like all things in life some like them and some don't. No biggie. You guys just be you and I will just be me.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Probably because old Star Wars IP was written to be entertaining and Disney Star Wars IP is written by a social justice committee to be political commentary.
    This. The original trilogy was a true spaceopera drawing from all the pulp giants in the twenties. The story was king. In the disney reboot, the story is the last concern.

Quote Originally Posted by barrages View Post
    looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool
    roooooooooooooooooooooooofl

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Astalnar View Post
    This. The original trilogy was a true spaceopera drawing from all the pulp giants in the twenties. The story was king. In the disney reboot, the story is the last concern.
    I love the original movies, but calling the story king...I dunno man. It was pretty cheesy, had plot holes and scenes which really made not much sense. Some of the acting was incredibly bad too. But it was entertaining af to watch the movies, the design and art felt new and had a special charme. And tbh I felt the same way watching the new movies. Sure there were scenes I didn't like that much, sure there where some logical issues etc...but people are really overreacting with their critics imho.
    Did anyone really expect those movies to be better than the ones that most of us saw when we were childs and we watched over and over again because we somehow fell in love with the franchise? Expectations are too high these days...for almost everything.

I'll take my infraction to say the following;

Modern SW is set to tell an ongoing story. It evolves beyond the ideas of THE SKYWALKERS ARE DE BEZT! and moves on to a universe where anyone can be a source of change.

The original movie was a 1 off, Empire and RotJ were made to sell toys. And, yes, if you don't recognize this - your opinion is invalidated. Because it was obvious at the time for even my naive audience.

The Prequels were the creator of those original 3s attempt to tell a story in that universe, which he failed at because he was in the toy business for too long.

I am sorry about the butthurt people that didn't like TLJ. Sorry that you were either born too late or born too small minded to understand how expansive the new movie was.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

My problem with TLJ was that I wasn't entertained as much as I'd like to be, and that's likely the case for many that didn't really like the movie or the new trilogy in general. Now why wasn't I entertained? Probably devolves down into bad story telling and decisions that appeared to be made in spite of letting the story entertain.

For example, while there can be lots of plot holes and mechanical issues in a movie that are a stretch or literally don't make sense if you sit down and analyze them, it really doesn't matter as long as your suspension of disbelief remains intact. I think TLJ did poorly in this aspect, and is likely the result of trying to move the Star Wars movie in a new direction... which is perfectly fine, it just needs to be executed properly. There lacked a continuity in the story overall that certainly didn't help maintain said suspension. There were also many scenes or even arcs that could've easily been removed to help maintain continuity. I've seen Rey touted as a Mary Sue in this regard, and this probably true for many aspects of her character with how the movies have executed the storytelling. They could've done many things to explain how Rey gets good at stuff, but never did, making her power level and reaction to situations not very believable to the point you actually question it while watching the movie.

Also, people don't like to be talked down to or lectured when trying to be entertained. The Canto Bight arc in the TLJ just felt like an entire lecture and largely could've been left out of the movie to no consequence to enjoyment (or even the plot oddly enough). You could've boiled down most of the dialogue to Finn saying he loves the place, but Rose counter-arguing that it has slaves and evil businessmen, then Finn saying this place sucks. You can make a message in a movie, but what TLJ failed to do was make it entertaining regardless of how you felt about the situations, or at the very least let the audience make their own judgements. My general complaint could be summed up when Finn and Rose escape and let the fathiers free... at the end, Finn tells the animals they're free, but Rose has to one-up Finn and remove the saddle while saying that they're really free now. The forced messaging (pun unintentional?) extends beyond this arc and is prevalent throughout the movie, and I feel it's the movie telling the audience that they're stupid or can't make judgements for their own.

I've seen a lot of comments concerning the casting decisions and plot decisions being heavily dictated by being politically correct, SJW-ish, etc. at the expense of good storytelling. To be fairly, the movie industry is pretty insulated and likely feels that those views are mainstream, therefore they'd naturally think they need to make the cast/heroes racially and sexually diverse or empower the women or whatever the hell you want to put here. Here's the rub: whether you support those views or not, if the decisions are made at the expense of entertainment then it's a bad thing to do for a movie. If their casting plot choices line up well with SJW issues or the politicaly correctness of the day while failing to be entertaining, what choice does the viewer have but believe that they made those choices in spite of making the movie entertaining? You can certainly make a political/social point and be entertaining, but the TLJ looked like they didn't even try to entertain but make the message paramount.

To try to keep this short, as I could probably type for hours about differing topics, there's the argument that the original trilogy or even the prequels were more magical or enshrined in a rose-tinted glass box that makes them always look better. For some people, sure, that could be the case. However, if the storytelling is good, none of that should matter. The originals and prequels did have their problems, but there was always the overarching storyline that remained and at its worst was still entertaining. While Disney had a very noticeable heavy hand on the new movies, I don't think Disney trying to make the movies more kid friendly had any bearing on it, as there are plenty of Disney movies that both kids and adults can enjoy. If anything, most of the "magic" people are referring to is actually being entertained by a movie, and TLJ lacked that sort of magic for the above reasons and many others.
    Last edited by exochaft; 2018-01-15 at 05:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyz View Post
    Disney, just likes Marvel cares too much about kids and caters to them. Throw in the current horseshit times we live in where you have to consider the feelings of everyone and things get even worse.
    I loved the original films when I was a kid. I first saw them when I was 11 or 12 and became a fan immediately. But I'm pretty sure that these new movies would never have done the trick.

The original trilogy had been gaining new fans all on its own for over 20 years before the prequels were made. There was no need to dumb Star Wars down.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Quote Originally Posted by Anjerith View Post
    I am sorry about the butthurt people that didn't like TLJ. Sorry that you were either born too late or born too small minded to understand how expansive the new movie was.
    Exactly. It finally broke the mold. Was it absolutely perfect in all ways? No.. it was still produced by humans. But it takes the whole franchise to much bigger places. It just couldn't do it all in one movie which in our instant gratification culture I can see being an issue. Then of course you have those that will just hate it because it the next big thing to hate. But forget them in a couple months they will have moved onto the next hipster thing to hate on.

Over 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjerith View Post
    I'll take my infraction to say the following;

Modern SW is set to tell an ongoing story. It evolves beyond the ideas of THE SKYWALKERS ARE DE BEZT! and moves on to a universe where anyone can be a source of change.
    Actually it isn't set to tell an ongoing story. TFA ended and TLJ was handed to the next Director with no actual direction of where to take the story. It's just "Here you go, write your own fan-fiction continuation of the story! Good Luck!"

At what point is legends considered cannon and this mess we've been given considered fan(nonfan?)-fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    I've seen a lot of comments concerning the casting decisions and plot decisions being heavily dictated by being politically correct, SJW-ish, etc. at the expense of good storytelling. To be fairly, the movie industry is pretty insulated and likely feels that those views are mainstream, therefore they'd naturally think they need to make the cast/heroes racially and sexually diverse or empower the women or whatever the hell you want to put here. Here's the rub: whether you support those views or not, if the decisions are made at the expense of entertainment then it's a bad thing to do for a movie. If their casting plot choices line up well with SJW issues or the politicaly correctness of the day while failing to be entertaining, what choice does the viewer have but believe that they made those choices in spite of making the movie entertaining? You can certainly make a political/social point and be entertaining, but the TLJ looked like they didn't even try to entertain but make the message paramount.
    Enjoyment of a movie is subjective, so one person can hate a film that another one loves, and all that. However, I would really like to hear you expand upon the concept that having a diverse cast detracted from the entertainment value of the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    What's there to grasp? She demoted him from Commander to Captain. Obviously Commander is a higher rank than Captain in Resistance. Is that really so hard to grasp?
    Yes because armies and navies use a different ranking system. A Commander in the Army would not be called a Commander, they would be called a Lieutenant Colonel. An Army Captain would be a lower rank but a Navy Captain would actually be a promotion.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Templa...parative_ranks

Quote Originally Posted by Fooliecoolie View Post
    Yes because armies and navies use a different ranking system. A Commander in the Army would not be called a Commander, they would be called a Lieutenant Colonel. An Army Captain would be a lower rank but a Navy Captain would actually be a promotion.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Templa...parative_ranks
    I don't see any mentions of Star Wars in there.

If the explicit demotion from commander to captain is not enough to grasp which rank is higher - then the problem is on the receiving side.
    All right, gentlemen, let's review. The year is 2018 - that's two-zero-one-eight, as in the 21st Century - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of robed sissies.