Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    Not much more as thats about it and none of those hinder playing the class stories which is what their F2P model is there for.

You can still get a taste of PVP. You can even PVP all you want if you group with a sub but that doesn't change what the F2P model is there for. It sure isn't there so you can experience end game and never pay a dime.

I think thats because they want more for nothing. They want more without having to pay a dime and hate being reminded they haven;t paid for this huge amount of content. SWTOR has some problems but to me, this area isn't one of them.

Sure they could offer more for nothing but all that does is encouraged them to ask for more and still not pay. While I do think it's restrictive, it's designed for you to see the best the game has to offer and thats the class stories. It does that very well. You want to dive more into the game. Leveing to max. Play PVP a lot or do end game. We'll you should pay something.
    While it's true that being F2P or even Preferred, doesn't keep you from playing the content (especially if you've subbed once and have access to it all already). It's those constant reminders EVERYWHERE that/ when you're not a sub that just detract from the experience for me.

I don't want to be constantly harangued with what amounts to "give me money" when playing a video game, it just destroys the experience for me which is why I strongly prefer pay to play MMOs. When the companies need to get money from me is so overt while I'm playing, it significantly reduces my desire to continue playing. It just makes it blatantly apparent that I'm just a dollar sign to them, not a player.

It's 100% a subjective thing so YMMV, and doesn't necessarily impact the game itself, but there are enough games out there that don't make it so apparent that I don't feel the need or desire to play games that make it so obvious. SW:ToR is good enough that I'll sub when I want to play, and luckily that gets rid of 99% of the "give me money" notifications I don't like.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    While it's true that being F2P or even Preferred, doesn't keep you from playing the content (especially if you've subbed once and have access to it all already). It's those constant reminders EVERYWHERE that/ when you're not a sub that just detract from the experience for me.

I don't want to be constantly harangued with what amounts to "give me money" when playing a video game, it just destroys the experience for me which is why I strongly prefer pay to play MMOs. When the companies need to get money from me is so overt while I'm playing, it significantly reduces my desire to continue playing. It just makes it blatantly apparent that I'm just a dollar sign to them, not a player.

It's 100% a subjective thing so YMMV, and doesn't necessarily impact the game itself, but there are enough games out there that don't make it so apparent that I don't feel the need or desire to play games that make it so obvious. SW:ToR is good enough that I'll sub when I want to play, and luckily that gets rid of 99% of the "give me money" notifications I don't like.
    Oh I get it. It was just something that never bothered me when I knew I wasn't paying anything anyway. I just closed the window and moved right along but I do get it.

Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    Oh I get it. It was just something that never bothered me when I knew I wasn't paying anything anyway. I just closed the window and moved right along but I do get it.
    I honestly think it's just the way SW:ToR does it that bothers me. Other games have it just as often but they don't bother me as much, if at all. I've played TERA, Blade and Soul, Secret World, Elder Scrolls Online, Guild Wars 2, Revelation Online and a few others...and they all have in game cash shops, but they've never gotten under my skin like SW:ToR does.

Other games tend to make it feel like the F2P option is the base game and that you get all kinds of benefits and advantages for subbing/ paying money, so it's a perk or an improvement when you do give them money. ie "To get access to even more stuff, and make the experience even more enjoyable, please consider subscribing to our game!"

SW:ToR makes you feel like the sub experience is the base game and you're not good enough to experience that because you're not subbing. ie "You can't get rested xp because you're not a subscriber," and "You have to pay for spec change because you're not a subscriber."

That make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    SNIP...

That make sense?
    It does and again, I do get it but when I get so much content for free (and what most consider the best swtor has to offer) I can put up with such things when to me, my actually playing that content isn't really hindered by it.

I get that some hate the distraction and whats it's there for but for me. I just close it out and keep playing knowing I wasn't at that time paying a dime for the best content this game has to offer.

I'm not shocked at all to hear gamers dislike it. It's just not something I think is not that big a deal when you get so much for nothing. A reminder that I'm not paying anything and should subscriber is something I can skip over and keep on trucking.

For u guys, how much is 15 dolars a month anyway? Im from Brazil and right now 15 dolars is like almost 50 for our coin. And im still subbing.

Quote Originally Posted by Balinus View Post
    For u guys, how much is 15 dolars a month anyway? Im from Brazil and right now 15 dolars is like almost 50 for our coin. And im still subbing.
    I'm not entirely sure how to answer you. It's not cheap for everyone but it's also not expensive for a hobby but no matter what, it would be one of the first things to go should I ever fin myself really tightening the reigns on spending.

Quote Originally Posted by Balinus View Post
    To put it into perspective a brand new console game is generally ~$65 (~$60+ tax) and a movie ticket costs anywhere from $10-$20 depending on which theater and when you go.

For me, the main thing is how MUCH fun I can have while playing the game, and very close after is how long that fun will last.... They're usually considered together because there's no way I'd pay $60 for a great game if it only lasted an hour.

SW:ToR provides a TON of content for only $15, and it's good content, so absolutely, without question, is subbing worth it. After that first month though, it's really just about how much you're able to stomach the F2P plan. I can't (won't) so I sub when I want to play the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    I played Swtor a few months ago and its not a bad game (the classes such as Sith Assassin are really fun to play) but once I reached max level I was just burned out of the game too much to even bother grinding anymore. The game overwhelms you with content especially when you hit max level where the game has multiple expansions for you to experience.

After awhile I just stopped caring about the game. It's a pretty ugly game by today's standard but what kept me playing was the fun factor with Sith Assassin. It was engaging enough where I could forgive the games many flaws long enough to play it for a few months.

And yeah sub to the game if you want to play it. The free version is extremely limiting.
    Last edited by Rorke; 2018-01-20 at 12:26 AM.

Deleted
    I resubbed yesterday to replay the Sith Warrior and Jedi Knight story and I'm having a lot of fun. Treating it as a SP game and it's been since release that I played it. Did one PvP warzone and that felt pretty poor still, hope it gets better as I lvl up.

Star Wars fans need to treat this as KOTOR 3-whatever. The story and cutscenes are excellent. The game still offers some of the best and most diverse landscapes in MMO land and is exceptionally true to the Star Wars franchise.
    Last edited by mmoc112630d291; 2018-01-21 at 09:47 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    The game is awesome and I'm gonna sub in the near future to continue my characters quest.

The story lines are fun. But in the end, it's Electronic Arts. They bought Bioware years ago and gutted the company, firing left and right and the original founder got the hell out years ago.

It's bug ridden as EA games are, filled with chance crates and microtransactions.

But the class stories were from the original BioWare staff, and they are very good. The music has a nice Star Wars feel. A+ to the orchestra

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads View Post
    It's still plugging along, but you can tell it doesn't get the attention it once did. Worth a sub? Yes, the free version is playable, but you won't enjoy it, as you are restricted in almost every aspect.

The loot shop is entirely cosmetic. So as far as loot shops go it's pretty good, but it's still a loot shop. But if you're subbed you get a monthly stipend of cartel coins to use on the loot shop, so you can buy yourself a sweet looking mount or decorations for your strong hold.

Selling loot from the Cartel Market is the only viable to make a lot of gold.

The story has basically stagnated. I think they're focusing on PvP content this quarter, and none of old companions have come back to the story since the end of the Defend the Throne chapter.

It's a cool enough game if you want to experience the original story-lines, play through the Eternal Empire storyline once, and mess around in a Star Wars universe. The people who still play do it because they love their collections.
    Basically, every MMO ever. Wow is much the same way right now (or has been for a very long time). It's just extremely hyperactive developers trying to get it back to a good place, which is something Blizzard can apparently afford. Long gone are the days where a MMO was made for the content and experience instead of the subscribers draw and gimmicks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    ...no? I'm not sure how anyone could seriously say that SWTOR is just in the same state as "every other MMO".
    Because every MMO out there sees a large initial interest then a sharp drop off in both subscribers and content development. But you've got a track record of ignoring the obvious and well supported facts about things. No surprise you'd post just to be contrarian.

Welcome back.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just saw the new "movie" for the latest patch and decided to jump back in. Got a referral code for 7days of play but the clunky movement of my character coupled with bad graphics just threw me off so much, knowing that this released after WoW... Mind you I have already completed the original story. I can't say i found much joy the 6hours i tried to get back into it. It just felt so outdated graphics wise I really wanted in again, the story is awesome!

I haven't played SW:TOR in a good long while; I couldn't stomach it.

The original stories (IE: 1-50) are quite good and most classes are worth a playthrough to see them. Some of them are exceptionally good! Others are mostly just good for their first chapter (1-32), sadly some others are just kind of bad. I recommend all players interested in SW:TOR play through Sith Warrior, Jedi Knight, and especially Imperial Agent stories as all of them are excellent. I suggest avoiding Smuggler (although it does have its moments, and some fantastic one-liners) and Jedi Consular entirely, unless you find the archetypes to be very interesting.

After that, you might want to play the expansions through once if you really like the stories, but after that, I wouldn't bother.

Stories are pretty much the only strength of this game... and that strength is dwindling. My advice is to enjoy it while you can until you've had your fill of it, then move on. Playing long term is pointless because the PvE content is fairly bad... especially compared to content-rich games like World of Warcraft or Final Fantasy XIV.
    Last edited by therealbowser; 2018-07-03 at 12:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Glad you remember me, I guess? No idea we had talked in the past.

In any case, you're still trying to compare mountains with molehills here. Especially in comparing SWTOR to WoW. If you like the game, that's fine. Trying to rationalize the state of it as "just being normal" isn't based in fact, though.
    It wasn't a direct comparison by any means. The mmo industry suffers from the same problems, regardless of game or company. Wow just has advantages of timing and IP. Turns out Blizzard could release a polished turd and it would break sales records.

Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    It wasn't a direct comparison by any means. The mmo industry suffers from the same problems, regardless of game or company. Wow just has advantages of timing and IP. Turns out Blizzard could release a polished turd and it would break sales records.
    You mean one of the most famous franchises that includes 10 movies, dozens of books, comics, games etc. is somehow inferior to Warcraft? SWTOR flopped purely because it was bad copy of already existing game, nothing more.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    You mean one of the most famous franchises that includes 10 movies, dozens of books, comics, games etc. is somehow inferior to Warcraft?
    SWTOR is not the real Star Wars, but a weird universe created for the game series only. Of course it is not so lucrative as WoW.