Suggestion, hide spam

If a thread title contains these three words it'll only be visible to the author or something. Get rid of the spam by hiding it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm wondering why can't we just hide threads from a person. If I block Bob123 and Bob123 makes a thread, it should be automatically hidden. I obviously don't want to interact with Bob123, so what's the point of seeing their posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrm View Post
    I'm wondering why can't we just hide threads from a person. If I block Bob123 and Bob123 makes a thread, it should be automatically hidden. I obviously don't want to interact with Bob123, so what's the point of seeing their posts.
    Because it's a new account every time?

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    A lot of the time those threads contain variations of the words (e.g. h1De l0v3 pr0blem) or interspersed with separator characters and the like, and the accounts that make them rotate with amazing frequency. Even still, the spammer making them would probably see that they're not appearing on another account and change up their tactics accordingly. Not to mention that possibilities that such masks could also inadvertently apply to well-meaning posters who would get their threads buried and require intervention.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xtrm View Post
    This is the case now. Chaud made this happen a few months ago.

Anyway,

We already have a "smart" spam filter that is trained to automatically catch these posts by repetitive word usage. The problem that makes it slower to learn on these (and why this suggestion wouldn't really work) is that they use alternate characters and change around which characters are used in which spot, and other means of obfuscating the text. Many of these threads are done by humans rather than bots so they are smarter about getting around the filter. So while the filter still does catch a huge volume of them, some will slip by and that's why you'll see chunks of the threads periodically.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |