Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarithus93 View Post
    Greetings,

so recently I've found myself wondering, 'why is loot still obtained randomly?'. I must confess this thread is part venting as I'm still to get my tier shoulders from coven which is preventing me from getting 4pc. (haven't even got them on normal yet and I've bonus rolled every coven kill)

I don't pretend to have thought this out a lot, so I'm curious to read replies as to why it might be a bad idea, but why can't loot change from RNG to something like:

Thoughts?
    /Vent over (give me my shoulders please random dice roll)
    Join a guild so you have a better chance. Or join a pug with most of your token then they can trade tier

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themanintobuildafire View Post
    Funny thing is, I have rarely been excited over a piece of loot I got. When grinding for something and it finally dropped, my reaction was always "Finally!" and then I moved on.
    I think that something like Aman'thul trinket is the best design for RNG. I don't expect to get it at all, with 0.5% droprate it's not realistic. There's no way to farm it, just kill Argus once a week which I'm doing anyway. Almost nobody have it, so there's no disappointment about not having it. But if it would drop for me, I'll be so excited and happy.

Now legendaries are just the opposite case. I'm doing lots of boring content to farm it. It's mostly frustration, because 90% of legendaries are pure trash and if I'm getting good one, I don't feel that good anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    But it's always had RNG, that;s my point.

But people want to make the aregument like it's only just became a thing. Sure Legion has made RNG worse, that I agree, I for one hope they bring back the old valor tokens as at least if you didn't get the loot from raids or dungeons you can get it at a vendor with all the dungeon/raid grinding you saved up.

But let's not pretend like RNG is a new thing. It's like some of you have only just learned what an MMO is.
    No one is pretending it's a "new thing", don't be daft. Blizz has piled on the RNG with Legion and that's why a lot of people have left (among other reasons like templates and pruning). It's not fun, it's a drag.

OT: If you have, for example 10% to get the item, just do raids a few times - nice.
    If your BIS legendary has 0,001% to drop from any activity - fuck this RNG.

Quote Originally Posted by Volitar View Post
    Little RNG is nice but jesus fuck Legion went waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overboard.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    Because otherwise it would be to linear. Having a good item drop that you didnt expect or at least wasnt sure would drop gives you a spike of happyness compared to a stale grind If you know exactly when you get what
    1 spike of happiness vs a lot more spikes of emotion that isn't happiness. Hmmm, gonna pass on RNG. Not fun.

Quote Originally Posted by kaintk View Post
    because they want to transform world of warcraft in world of diablo, i think it's was clear for everyone ? ^^
    If it was turned into World of Diablo, they would remove raid locks/mythic locks and soulbind if in group(when you bonus roll). The only dungeon in Legion has one of the best Agility trinkets but no Mythic+ option, leaving it to pure luck that it drops(or the boss that drops it spawns that week), luck that it drops in Weekly chest or through Relinquished tokens, then further luck that it titanforges high enough to be relevant. I want my fkn high level Chaos Talisman.
    Last edited by ChrisObscuri; 2018-01-12 at 06:55 PM. Reason: further sources for trinket

Kinda off topic, but i'd have absolutely no problem with WoW changing to a loot system more akin to Monster Hunter, where bosses drop materials, and all gear is crafted from those materials. Certainly makes more sense than me looting some form fitting robe from Deathwings chin.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caolela View Post
    No one is pretending it's a "new thing", don't be daft. Blizz has piled on the RNG with Legion and that's why a lot of people have left (among other reasons like templates and pruning). It's not fun, it's a drag.
    Maybe a drag to you, it seriously hasn't bothered me at all. WoW is the same it has ever been in my opinion RNG included. But whatever...

Enjoy being mad while I enjoy continuing to play this game...
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe a drag to you, it seriously hasn't bothered me at all. WoW is the same it has ever been in my opinion RNG included. But whatever...

Enjoy being mad while I enjoy continuing to play this game...

Mad? No, I just laugh at people like you whose lives are so boring that they keep paying Blizz and grinding away on the same content day after day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mad? No, I just laugh at people like you whose lives are so boring...
    Not so boring that I can enjoy the game after 14 years. Some people enjoy collecting stamps. I wont judge.

The question should be if you find the game so boring (as you assumed it was boring in that quote) and don't like the grind, why you still play? Are you addicted? Is it the RNG fever? Or if you don't play WoW why are you even here complainong? Are you concern trolling?

...that they keep paying Blizz and grinding away on the same content day after day.
    Well I been doing it for 14 years on and off why stop now. I still like the game and I like their RNG... as long as they don't supply in game loot boxes with additional payments then they can keep the current RNG. :P
    Last edited by Orby; 2018-01-12 at 08:48 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

10+ Year Old Account
    The question should be if you find the game so boring (as you assumed it was boring in that quote) and don't like the grind, why you still play? Are you addicted? Is it the RNG fever? Or if you don't play WoW why are you even here complainong?
    I don't play Legion since I didn't buy it. I knew better than to waste money on the worst xpac WoW's had yet.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Simple. To ensure you'll be back with all your lucky-doos.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

To keep people playing, basically.

Personally I don't see the problem with a currency system where every 20 times you don't get what you want you can just buy it, mounts aside. Killing the same boss 20 times ought to give you every item on its loot table at least once, IMO. At the very least, for old raid mog farming, it would be incredibly helpful to be able to buy the last pieces you need after months of not being lucky enough.

When the patch goes live, single Ulduar bosses are going to have loot tables of like 30 pieces of loot with 2-3 drops per week.

Drops from bosses were always RNG.

The issue comes when sockets, item levels and even stats are RNG, and items you buy from vendors for a currency, are locked behind RNG.

As for the "why": Because the business counts success in time spent, and the more things you're always working towards, the more time you'll spend. I just prefer working towards tangible, guaranteed rewards rather than a lottery ticket.

Have you checked relics recently? With the netherlight crucible traits the pushed randomness one step futher - you only get to discover what secondary traits a relic has when you go to the crucible and soulbind the item to you.
    And if the traits turn out to be not that good you can not even trade the item anymore in your raid.

They must have some competion going on at Blizzard to see who can come up with the most annyoing applications of randomness.

Deleted
    Simple reply.

Loot needs to be RNG, so you run the same stuff every week, with only luck on your side.

You’d see more people dropping out after they get their best gear, the other stuff would never be used. It’s annoying to get random drops but it’s just how it is for the best.

Determinism is boring. People stop when they think they're "done". RNG keeps it interesting. And that's why wf/tf is a good thing.