No Overwatch League Team Signed The Game's Most Notable Female Pro To Their Roster

I really hate to make this about a male to female thing, but honestly i've seen her play and she is one of the better players. Even if Zarya isn't meta, there are filler spots i'm sure she should be able to fit for. I would also think she is better than a lot of players on her worst character then some on their best.

There are things like situational awareness and team synergy that goes beyond just playing a top tier players have.

https://compete.kotaku.com/no-overwa...ble-1821968992

Kim “Geguri” Se-yeon became a big name in the Overwatch scene when she was just 17, after she was bombarded with cheating accusations and death threats over her masterful play of pink-haired better-biceps-than-you-haver Zarya. In response to the cheating allegations, she hosted a livestream in which she showed both game footage and her hands on the keyboard and mouse, to prove that she was, in fact, Just That Good. She went on to become the first woman ever to play for a team in South Korea’s then-premiere (and now defunct) APEX league.

While Geguri is definitely not the only woman playing Overwatch at the game’s highest levels, she’s currently the most accomplished and well-known in the world of elite esports. Thus, it wasn’t long before members of the press started asking about her—and the complete absence of women players in general—during media day Q&As that were meant to introduce teams’ rosters. The Houston Outlaws, for example, spent a solid chunk of their 20-minute conference engaging with the question, noting that Geguri wasn’t a good fit for them because of the language barrier and concerns over co-ed player housing, and that other women hoping to join the scene face a serious uphill battle.

n a follow-up interview, Rodriguez said that players like Geguri just need to keep on grinding despite the additional obstacles in their paths. He explained that he views Overwatch League as “really professional,” but lower tier scenes are “more wild west.”

“There is absolutely no reason that she couldn’t do it,” he said, referring to Geguri. “I think she knows that. I know she’s had a lot of trouble. I’ve read a lot of articles about her having hard times, and that sucks. But that’s the hurdle. You have to get through all the shit and negativity you’re gonna read on Reddit or Inven or whatever.”
    I hate to say there is a glass ceiling there, but there certainly seems to be a bias. Thoughts?

Geguri herself has gone on record to say that being a woman was not the reason she is not in OWL.

Kotaku is spewing shit just to get clicks.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/c..._getting_into/

There is ofc a clear lack of women in competitive overwatch (and competitive gaming in general) compared to men but there are many reasons for that (some generational some more complicated).

Quote Originally Posted by Nixl View Post
    Geguri herself has gone on record to say that being a woman was not the reason she is not in OWL.

Kotaku is spewing shit just to get clicks.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/c..._getting_into/

There is ofc a clear lack of women in competitive overwatch compared to men but there are many reasons for that (some generational some more complicated).
    Ohh damn click bait, I still find it odd she couldn't even get a filler spot. Hopefully she gets her shot in the next season.

more shitaku click-bait lies.
    If you see this message then I'm probably already banned or getting an infraction.

Whenever you go on Kotaku, remember that you're going on the left wing gaming equivalent of Brietbart. Then once you've done that, close the site and never go to it again. Do the same with Polygon.

Quote Originally Posted by Sliske View Post
    Whenever you go on Kotaku, remember that you're going on the left wing gaming equivalent of Brietbart. Then once you've done that, close the site and never go to it again. Do the same with Polygon.
    I wouldn't go that far, but I will certainly be more skeptical. I think this was more of a click bait for cash.. Which all news sites are guilty of doing.

Overall I thought it'd be an interesting discussion as I watch some of her game play and it seems to be right up there with other I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    I wouldn't go that far, but I will certainly be more skeptical.
    I'm guessing you weren't around for GamerGate, where they basically accused gamers at large for being women hating monsters because a few people pointed out the shady journalism behind a guy who was fucking the developer of the indie game he was reviewing.

The site is dogma incarnate. I went to the guys twitter handle just now to check if he'd bother to backpeddle after people had spammed him with links of the actual woman he made the article about telling people that his article is false, but no, hes doubling down and telling people that hes doing it "because we have a long way to go" and all the usual bull shit.

Actually, we don't have a long way to go. Unfortunately third wave feminists are trying to regress us back to segregation with a articles that spin up comments like this:

I agree! Maybe we could do it with race too? Perhaps they should remove Symmetra as there are no indians, Tracer as there are no brits, Lucio as there are no Brazilians and so on. Perhaps we could give them separate water fountains too? Maybe we could add an area on the bus for all the races, genders and sexual fetishes not included in the OWL? Perhaps somewhere near the back?

I want my fart fetish represented in OWL or i'm going to write an article!

Also I love that games journos don't even pretend to put in work now. This guy wrote 3 articles in one fucking day. You'd expect 1 article per WEEK after heavy journalism but NOPE. This mother fucker pumps out 3 'articles' in a day and you can see the result in all its glory

RAW UNFILTERED DOGMA with no regard for reality, the person he is using as an example's opinion, or any of the team managers. Zero fucking outside input. Boils my fucking blood.

BONUS MEME: The guy who wrote this article is one of the retards that were heavily anti-GamerGate, a guy who reviews the games of his friends, without revealing that hes actually friends with them.

JOURNALISM BTW
    Last edited by Sliske; 2018-01-12 at 11:28 PM.

Since this is a gender thread, I'm just going to close it here before it goes south.