1. #1

    Computer upgrade/new build

    Hey guys,

    I have a slightly older computer (4-5ish years?) that I use to play WoW. I think I get 30-40 fps max in most places and Dalaran sometimes takes its sweet time loading. The current specs are:

    CPU: Intel Core i3-3240 Dual Core 3.4Ghz
    HDD: WDC 7200 RPM 1TB
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 730 2GB
    RAM: 12 GB (Pretty sure its DDR3)
    I'm currently using a Lenovo Mahobay motherboard

    I was thinking about just upgrading to the HDD to a SSD and then getting a new graphics card and power supply, however I'm not sure if it would just be better to build an entire new one/upgrade more stuff. I have 1000-1200$ to spend, a little more if necessary.

    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    I am Murloc! OneWay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Tesseract
    Posts
    5,646
    If you play World of WarCraft mostly, you can get a beast for 600$, without monitor and other peripherals but that is if you know what you are doing.
    Thing is, if you upgrade CPU, you have to upgrade motherboard as well, especially with Intel. If you upgrade HDD to SSD you will only get fast loading, not faster performance.

    Not sure if it's really worth upgrading PC just for another 10-20 fps for WoW. If you play other games, then yeah, upgrade all of it.
    "In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man loses his nerves"

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    If you play World of WarCraft mostly, you can get a beast for 600$, without monitor and other peripherals but that is if you know what you are doing.
    Thing is, if you upgrade CPU, you have to upgrade motherboard as well, especially with Intel. If you upgrade HDD to SSD you will only get fast loading, not faster performance.

    Not sure if it's really worth upgrading PC just for another 10-20 fps for WoW. If you play other games, then yeah, upgrade all of it.
    Would you mind sharing what I would be buying for the 600$? Thank you so much!

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by FsSeagull View Post
    Hey guys,

    I have a slightly older computer (4-5ish years?) that I use to play WoW. I think I get 30-40 fps max in most places and Dalaran sometimes takes its sweet time loading. The current specs are:

    CPU: Intel Core i3-3240 Dual Core 3.4Ghz
    HDD: WDC 7200 RPM 1TB
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 730 2GB
    RAM: 12 GB (Pretty sure its DDR3)
    I'm currently using a Lenovo Mahobay motherboard

    I was thinking about just upgrading to the HDD to a SSD and then getting a new graphics card and power supply, however I'm not sure if it would just be better to build an entire new one/upgrade more stuff. I have 1000-1200$ to spend, a little more if necessary.

    Thanks in advance!
    PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/h2M2KZ
    Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/h2M2KZ/by_merchant/

    CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor ($379.00 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($39.90 @ Newegg Marketplace)
    Motherboard: MSI - Z370 GAMING PRO CARBON ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($140.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($194.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Crucial - MX300 525GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($139.75 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Seagate - BarraCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($44.89 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Video Card ($157.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Pro M ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($72.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $1230.48
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-01-12 19:56 EST-0500

    Yeah GPU Market looks fucked again 3GB GTX 1060 300$....
    Go first for the cheap 1050TI if the Market is more normal, get a good midrange GPU then.
    You could go for a cheaper Mainboard and get a Dark Rock 3 or Noctua NH D15.
    Also you could use your old HDD but since you have loading problems, check first your HDD if its still ok.
    If the GPU prices are better when you order, replace maybe the GPU with a GTX 1060 and downgrade your GPU to a I5 8600k.
    Last edited by Miyagie; 2018-01-13 at 01:08 AM.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post
    PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/h2M2KZ
    Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/h2M2KZ/by_merchant/

    CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor ($379.00 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($39.90 @ Newegg Marketplace)
    Motherboard: MSI - Z370 GAMING PRO CARBON ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($140.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($194.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Crucial - MX300 525GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($139.75 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Seagate - BarraCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($44.89 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Video Card ($157.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Pro M ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($72.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $1230.48
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-01-12 19:56 EST-0500

    Yeah GPU Market looks fucked again 3GB GTX 1060 300$....
    Go first for the cheap 1050TI if the Market is more normal, get a good midrange GPU then.
    i7 8700k is overkill for just wow...

    Get the 8600k or the i3 8350k
    Everyone fights in the console wars! We don't like ours, but we sure hate yours! Its Xbox One versus Ps4! Let the bodies hit the floor! Let's throw down, come at me bro! Ill fuck you up, and your mom's a ho. Don't be a fag and blame the lag; These guns aren't just for show!

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by foofoocuddlypoopz View Post
    i7 8700k is overkill for just wow...

    Get the 8600k or the i3 8350k
    Yeah because people that buy a new Rig never try "new" Games they never could play before ^^.
    Its fits in the budget of 1200$, why not ?
    Also i wasnt done with my post, my last sentence is about a I5 8600K.

  7. #7
    I am Murloc! OneWay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Tesseract
    Posts
    5,646
    Quote Originally Posted by FsSeagull View Post
    Would you mind sharing what I would be buying for the 600$? Thank you so much!
    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Pb8C2R - this is just a suggestion. You would have to consider what kind of power supply you need but usually 650-750w is just fine. (be sure that cables you get can supply everything you need with power).

    This is also if you have no need for a chasis and hard disks and I assume your GPU is still fine for WoW. I have GTX 1060 and it's overkill for WoW but not for other games. You can get SSD for like 70 euros (not sure what's that in dollars) but then the price is not around 600 but around 700$ and to some people 100$ difference is small for some is big.
    "In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man loses his nerves"

  8. #8
    Your biggest issues are your mediocre CPU and well non gaming video coard (GT series are for multimedia like movie watching etc..)

    I tried to make an affordable system that should be plenty powerfull for wow.

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($29.90 @ Newegg Marketplace)
    Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($81.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($108.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Crucial - MX300 275GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($89.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Video Card ($189.89 @ B&H)
    Case: Phanteks - ECLIPSE P400 TEMPERED GLASS ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($48.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $829.72
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-01-13 10:16 EST-0500

    You could go intel, would be a bit more expensive and somewhat more vulnerable to the new meltdown/spectre deal (not sure if you care about that)

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Pb8C2R - this is just a suggestion. You would have to consider what kind of power supply you need but usually 650-750w is just fine. (be sure that cables you get can supply everything you need with power).

    This is also if you have no need for a chasis and hard disks and I assume your GPU is still fine for WoW. I have GTX 1060 and it's overkill for WoW but not for other games. You can get SSD for like 70 euros (not sure what's that in dollars) but then the price is not around 600 but around 700$ and to some people 100$ difference is small for some is big.
    This is a terrible list. Why a 650 Watt PSU on a old non-K CPU ?

    PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6qBWnn
    Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6qBWnn/by_merchant/

    CPU: Intel - Core i3-8350K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($29.90 @ Newegg Marketplace)
    Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Killer SLI/ac ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($110.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($194.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital - Blue 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($61.85 @ Newegg)
    Total: $647.70
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-01-13 10:30 EST-0500
    Last edited by Miyagie; 2018-01-13 at 03:30 PM.

  10. #10
    I am Murloc! OneWay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Tesseract
    Posts
    5,646
    Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post
    This is a terrible list. Why a 650 Watt PSU on a old non-K CPU ?

    PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6qBWnn
    Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6qBWnn/by_merchant/

    CPU: Intel - Core i3-8350K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($29.90 @ Newegg Marketplace)
    Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Killer SLI/ac ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($110.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($194.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital - Blue 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($61.85 @ Newegg)
    Total: $647.70
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-01-13 10:30 EST-0500
    Why would you overclock?
    "In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man loses his nerves"

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    Your biggest issues are your mediocre CPU and well non gaming video coard (GT series are for multimedia like movie watching etc..)

    I tried to make an affordable system that should be plenty powerfull for wow.

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($29.90 @ Newegg Marketplace)
    Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($81.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($108.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Crucial - MX300 275GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($89.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Video Card ($189.89 @ B&H)
    Case: Phanteks - ECLIPSE P400 TEMPERED GLASS ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($48.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $829.72
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-01-13 10:16 EST-0500

    You could go intel, would be a bit more expensive and somewhat more vulnerable to the new meltdown/spectre deal (not sure if you care about that)
    Lots of overspends for a “for WoW” system, if budget is actually super important.

    Id go with:

    PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sRHKPs
    Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sRHKPs/by_merchant/

    CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1400 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($163.89 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($74.49 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($108.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate - FireCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive ($75.88 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Video Card ($189.89 @ B&H)
    Case: Phanteks - ECLIPSE P400 TEMPERED GLASS ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $733.12
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-01-13 23:13 EST-0500
    Id probably cut the case to something less expensive for a budget build, too, but the P400S (get the S, same price, quieter) or the P400 are both great values for their price. 4c/8t is FINE for mainstream gaming and more thsn enough for WoW. Dont need an aftermakret cooler; the Wraith that is included will even take this chip to its reasonable overclocks (3.6-3.8ghz). PSU was a bit overkill; swapped for a slightly cheaper, but modular PSU from the same company (id have subbed in the non-modular but it was literally the same price).

    Went with an SSHD so you actually have a decent amount of storage. If you have a storage drive you can transfer, consider swapping back to the SSD. The SSHD will provide SSD like boot times and OS response but not faster gaming load times... but i cant recommend a small SSD as the sole drive in a machine (any loading time QoL gains being offset by having to constantly micromanage files and install/uninstall games.) - but if you can reuse the old drive from a previous computer for mass storage, by all means get the SSD.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Lots of overspends for a “for WoW” system, if budget is actually super important.

    Id go with:



    Id probably cut the case to something less expensive for a budget build, too, but the P400S (get the S, same price, quieter) or the P400 are both great values for their price. 4c/8t is FINE for mainstream gaming and more thsn enough for WoW. Dont need an aftermakret cooler; the Wraith that is included will even take this chip to its reasonable overclocks (3.6-3.8ghz). PSU was a bit overkill; swapped for a slightly cheaper, but modular PSU from the same company (id have subbed in the non-modular but it was literally the same price).

    Went with an SSHD so you actually have a decent amount of storage. If you have a storage drive you can transfer, consider swapping back to the SSD. The SSHD will provide SSD like boot times and OS response but not faster gaming load times... but i cant recommend a small SSD as the sole drive in a machine (any loading time QoL gains being offset by having to constantly micromanage files and install/uninstall games.) - but if you can reuse the old drive from a previous computer for mass storage, by all means get the SSD.
    I found that beeing between 200 to 400 $ below his budget was good enough, couple of extra cores can't hurt for a bit longevity, but ofc your system will do fine too.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •