Page 1 of 12
... LastLast

Thumbs down Canadians Are Mad as Hell at Tim Hortons

Minimum wage was raised to $15 an hour in Ontario Canada, in response the coffee shop Tim Hortons has been cutting back in every way they can including withholding tips. This has angered some canadians.

I'm sure a lot of these jobs will be automated, these kind of protests will just speed the automation up.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/w...at-tim-hortons

(Tim Horton heirs, see the Florida suntan on the one in the middle?)

While the critics are bloviating over how a minimum wage hike affects billionaires, it seems that some Canadians aren’t ready to get over their anger at Tim Hortons.

Last week, in response to a minimum wage hike in Ontario, some franchise owners, including the co-founders’ married children, decided to strip their workers of paid breaks and cut back their benefits. Ontario’s minimum wage jumped to $14 an hour at the beginning of the year. This jump—introduced in a November bill and seen by some as a way for Ontario Premier [head of government of a province or territory] Kathleen Wynne to gain some votes going into an upcoming election—will see wages jump to $15 an hour in 2019.

Now, in response to those actions, some Tim Hortons owners are facing down rallies and boycotts planned by labor activists and some everyday Canadians.

Most of the ire is directed at one store, located in Cobourg, Ontario in particular. This store is owned by Jeri-Lynn Horton-Joyce (Tim Horton’s daughter) and Ron Joyce Jr. (the son of Ron Joyce, who co-founded the chain) and was the most high profile to fuck over their employees in response to the minimum wage increase. According to Forbes, Ron Joyce Jr.’s father is worth is about $1.4 billion.

A rally is planned outside the Cobourg Tim Hortons on Wednesday and it’s not the only one. The Hamilton and District Labour Council has also decided to picket a Dundas Tim Hortons in response to the Tim Hortons that have pulled the paid breaks for their employees as well.

“This Tim Horton’s location has allegedly cut benefits and paid breaks for employees as a result of the new minimum wage laws,” reads the Dundas event page’s description. “We want to let their employees know of their right to unionize and the public to know of how such a venerated Canadian brand treats their employees.”

Even Premier Wynne got in on the action and called the actions a “clear act of bullying.” To add to that, the corporate side of the Canadian fast-food chain put out a statement saying “the unauthorized statements made to the media by a ‘rogue group’ claiming to speak on behalf of Tim Hortons, do not reflect the values of our brand, the views of our company, or the views of the overwhelming majority of our dedicated and hard working restaurant owners.”

Ontario’s Labour Minister, Kevin Flynn, took everything a step further on Monday by saying that businesses taking the minimum wage hike “out on their workers” is “completely unacceptable” and “completely wrong.”

"We knew when we unveiled Bill 148 that there'd be a reaction from some businesses. The minimum wage, I don't believe ever in history, has been raised without the business community raising a fuss or concerns," Flynn said of the benefit cuts. “It's the act of bullies that have no place in this province."

Flynn also said that the government will be investigating businesses that are acting opposed to the laws after a report by the Toronto Star that a Tim Hortons in Scarborough told their employees to not keep their tips but to put them in a jar which will be taken by management at the end of the day—something that is illegal in Ontario.

On top of all the real-life pickets and possible investigations, a Tim Horton boycott called “No Timmy's Tuesday” is starting to gain support on social media. The boycott calls on Canadians to support an independent coffee chain of their choosing instead of Tim Hortons on Tuesdays.

It turns out Canadians aren’t all that polite when you steal their fucking benefits and breaks—you would think a company that purports to embody all things Canada would know that, eh?
    Last edited by Independent voter; 2018-01-11 at 12:36 AM.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

7+ Year Old Account
    I think you could have just added this to the other Tim Hortons thread. Is everyone trying to be Tennisace now?

Tim Hortons is even withholding tips that employees get.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Hope Canadians boycott, Tim Horton's is crap fast food anyways. Yes I said it Canada, your revered chain is garbage. You can do better.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Hope Canadians boycott, Tim Horton's is crap fast food anyways. Yes I said it Canada, your revered chain is garbage. You can do better.
    Clearly they can't.

15+ Year Old Account
    Tim Hortons is nearly a religion to some Canadians I know. I doubt they could ever boycott it. Their donuts and coffee are an addiction to some. It's pretty weird tbh but I've never faulted anyone for being addicted to coffee.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

I don’t know about revered.. everyone I ever talk to about Tim Hortons agrees it’s shit.
    Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. -Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Tim Hortons is even withholding tips that employees get.
    A lot of places do that. And then some places it depends on the Management/Owner of that store.

I don't think they should be taking their tips, but I do think they have a right to make changes to benefits if they choose to.

its almost like they arent worth $15/hr. oh well, some will get the raise, some will just lose their jobs all together. good on hortons though for not taking it on their backs and pushing against it where they can.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrages View Post
    Oh, you mean imposing an arbitrary minimum wage for no-skill slackers that want to make slinging coffee a career had the exact consequences even a mildly retarded economist could've told you? Surprise surprise.
    They did a study about raising McDonald's wages to $15 an hour and raising the cost of a Big Mac could have gone up by 17 cents in order to compensate for a living wage. Shitting on employees is not a necessary or desirable outcome.

Also even a mildly retarded economist would tell you that most jobs in the US are held by low-skilled workers whose purchasing power fuels our economy and I'm sure Canada is no different.

You seem irritable today, probably should do more fact-checking before posting.

7+ Year Old Account
    Everything is "bullying" these days. So many people can't even put on their big boy/girl pants.

They did a study about raising McDonald's wages to $15 an hour and raising the cost of a Big Mac could have gone up by 17 cents in order to compensate for a living wage. Shitting on employees is not a necessary or desirable outcome.
    This "study" must have been done under the premise that all stores are corporate-owned or something. A single store couldn't pull it off. And considering that over 80% of all stores are franchises, the point is moot.
    Last edited by Mistame; 2018-01-11 at 02:01 AM.

wait its legal in Canada to take their tips?

Also even a mildly retarded economist would tell you that most jobs in the US are held by low-skilled workers whose purchasing power fuels our economy and I'm sure Canada is no different.

no one deserves a "living" wage. which btw 15 is well above nearly everywhere. you can "live" much lower then that. people just want handouts for being low skilled, lazy, and complacent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Those are some of the most punch-able faces i've ever seen.

Its just the companies making up excuses.
    If you can't run a company without giving living wages to your employees, it should not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrages View Post
    Oh, you mean imposing an arbitrary minimum wage for no-skill slackers that want to make slinging coffee a career had the exact consequences even a mildly retarded economist could've told you? Surprise surprise.
    I love it when people shit on workers in the service industry, who probably work twice as hard as they do and get buttons for their trouble.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    no one deserves a "living" wage. which btw 15 is well above nearly everywhere. you can "live" much lower then that. people just want handouts for being low skilled, lazy, and complacent.
    Working 8 hours a day, 5 days a week is not a 'hand out'.
    If tim hortons can't afford to stay in business without paying a living wage, they do not deserve to stay in business.

Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    Clearly they can't.
    Not till we add lard to everything eh?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I love it when people shit on workers in the service industry, who probably work twice as hard as they do and get buttons for their trouble.
    Hey man, those big wigs at the top deserve way more for eh.. doing stuff!

Canadian here not angry enjoying ice cap.