Deleted

Fingers crossed for no time gating.

What's killed my interest in both WoD and Legion after the first 2 months is the consistent gating going on. Blizzards "pacing" sucks.
    I'm a junkie, I keep playing for hours on end when I put a day aside to actually play, and then being constricted in how many x you can aquire or how far into y you can progress over n weeks instantly makes me lose interest.
    I feel like i'm "losing out" by doing those dungeons when i'm not getting more of that particular one this week.

I really hope they go for a more unlimited approach.

One can dream right?

I hope the quest content and such isn't time-gated like The Broken Shore was, for sure. I'd rather do it all in a day and not completely forget what I'd done the week before. If they want to slow it down then do it via rep like with Tanaan Jungle flying that is possible to grind out.

Not sure what you're referring to when you say dungeons though? Mythic Dungeons? I guess that's where m+ comes in.
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2017-12-17 at 07:50 PM.

I usually like playing in long bursts, you know after a lot of productive stuff you feel like binge gaming a bit. I don't like consistently logging in every day for something because honestly it's not that healthy of a lifestyle. Time gating daily only encourages it which is really not good for people.

The gating is something I always felt was goofy myself. Along with those silly "kill the same stupid boss x times" quests. FFS, if your going to let us skip content, just make us run the blood thing once, I'm sick of seeing these quests on my tracker for months.

Quote Originally Posted by Baroclinic View Post
    The gating is something I always felt was goofy myself. Along with those silly "kill the same stupid boss x times" quests. FFS, if your going to let us skip content, just make us run the blood thing once, I'm sick of seeing these quests on my tracker for months.
    If you're having them in your tracker for "months" then you're clearly not killing the bosses, cause you only need 4 kills aka 4 weeks.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigy View Post
    What's killed my interest in both WoD and Legion after the first 2 months is the consistent gating going on. Blizzards "pacing" sucks.
    I'm a junkie, I keep playing for hours on end when I put a day aside to actually play, and then being constricted in how many x you can aquire or how far into y you can progress over n weeks instantly makes me lose interest.
    I feel like i'm "losing out" by doing those dungeons when i'm not getting more of that particular one this week.

One can dream right?
    AP was your answer. Everything else has ALWAYS been time-gated as you say, it's a matter of whether you bothered deconstructing it.

I don't mind things being time gated. Curbs the dictatorship of nolifers who expect because they've done x everyone else needs to be up to their level to join pugs, guilds, etc. Also prevents burn out or complaining someone ran out of content too fast (there's only limited amount of content that can be produced, so either you make players repeat it ad nauseam or they'll run out of content).

Uncapped freedom leads to things like people running 2000 m+ maw of souls, burning themselves out while looking down upon their guild members who "drag them down" by having less ilvl and less ap. The early Legion drama was exactly like that: "I farmed my ass off, I'm tired of carrying my lazy guildies who farmed less!" disregarding not everyone had the time to "farm their ass off" and even if they had time, they probably didn't enjoy the prospect of turning wow into full time job. Hating on people who dared to play other games and "only raidlog to wow".

Generally the atmosphere in many guilds had become ripe with toxicity, people quitting left and right from burnout or peer pressure to farm more when they were already fed up with it. Tons of guilds disbanded during Nighthold and Tomb, my server lost like half the guilds, and it's one of the high pop ones in the region.

Daily caps are not optimal, because some people don't have much time during the week and can only play more during weekends etc. But weekly caps is something that worked well since the start of the game (weekly raid lockouts for example). Things like emissaries stacking up to 3 are an improvement over daily reset.

Also spreading content over longer period of time means there is less feeling of "draught", as long as the content is sufficient (broken shore's 1 quest per week wasn't, it felt very short, dull and artificial - but 7.1 insurrection campaign was fine).

One can dream right?
    Please enlist in the Blizzard developer army to help them distribute more content faster then. It's a business that delivers content that needs to be planned, created, and optimized. Consumers gonna consume.

its a byproduct of the amusement park gameplay, its never going to change

Stood in the Fire Grapefruitsnz's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm going to guess you won't be happy with what's likely going to come in BfA then.

No developer in the world can create content fast enough to appease the grinder hivemind, thus you have two choices as a developer:

1. Create content that can be consumed at any speed and let people burn themselves out grinding or complaining about nothing to do once they're finished
    2. Create content that is time gated, ensuring everyone progresses at the same/similar pace and you create smaller "content droughts" to reduce complaints

Neither is a perfect solution, option 1 pisses off the more casual players who feel compelled to login 24/7 and do nothing but X content to be the most efficient. While option 2 pisses of the more hardcore who have nothing else to do and want to play 24/7 farming content until they have farmed themselves out of things to do.

Blizzard went with option2 in a number of scenarios(broken isles), but they still left things like Legendarys and AP farming in there for people to abuse their mental wellbeing on. Remember the MoS keyfarms for months?

One can dream right?
    You can dream but it is not likely that they are removing it, sadly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrux View Post
    No developer in the world can create content fast enough to appease the grinder hivemind, thus you have two choices as a developer:

1. Create content that can be consumed at any speed and let people burn themselves out grinding or complaining about nothing to do once they're finished
    2. Create content that is time gated, ensuring everyone progresses at the same/similar pace and you create smaller "content droughts" to reduce complaints

Neither is a perfect solution, option 1 pisses off the more casual players who feel compelled to login 24/7 and do nothing but X content to be the most efficient. While option 2 pisses of the more hardcore who have nothing else to do and want to play 24/7 farming content until they have farmed themselves out of things to do.

Blizzard went with option2 in a number of scenarios(broken isles), but they still left things like Legendarys and AP farming in there for people to abuse their mental wellbeing on. Remember the MoS keyfarms for months?
    Semi-necro simply because I'd forgotten about this post.

While I get where you guys are coming from my deal is with shit like Suramar. And collecting the Illidan essences, and whatever the fuck have you.

I understand your point of view, and that developers are stuck between a rock and a hard place. But how can restrictions ever be the way to go, I honestly don't see the problem of someone being able to grind something out in a day that may take someone else a week to do, because of different schedules.

By all means saying "Nighthold wont be out for a couple of months" sure, not a problem go for it. saying "Well you'll get to nighthold in x amount of months, by doing this every day of every week" Stop telling me how to play your bloody game blizzard. Your job is making it, delivering it and maintaining it... in the light of that, my job, playing it seems fairly bloody easy, so stop the backseat driving will you?

But how can restrictions ever be the way to go, I honestly don't see the problem of someone being able to grind something out in a day that may take someone else a week to do, because of different schedules.
    You don't, but Blizzard probably does, as they're the ones on the receiving end of complaints about "content drought" 3 weeks into new patch. Even with Legion patch cycle of 77 days (2,5 months) there were people who would complain about "nothing to do". Letting them grind their faces off and "be done" with it quicker enhances the issue.

Some of the gating really made sense, for example the Argus questline being spread over 3 lockouts. Imagine a guy who works daytime and then raids in the evening. When Argus patch hit, if all would be insta released, tons of guilds would say "no crucible = no raid invite" and tons of people who work daytime would have to try to rush it at breakneck speed or risk losing a raid clear, creating tons of guilds drama and lack of enjoyment from the questline. Now spreading it over 3 weeks ensured it was easier to get the crucible when everyone else did, no matter if you're a hardcore nolifer or a busy irl casual.

Same reason why they gate off the opening of raids, mythic raids and mythic+ dungeons at the start of expansion. They didn't in wotlk and for many guilds it was an exercise in who can level faster and assemble enough warm bodies to raid on day 2 or 3 of the expansion. Nowadays the time frame in which you need to get "raid ready" is much more relaxed. You can say "who cares what crazy requirements guilds have", but this is an MMO and it's important it facilitates different people playing together rather than dividing them even more.

Another example, take 7.1 insurrection questline - this one ensured everyone had a bit of content to do every week. Otherwise some people would insta complete it in the first week then complain there's nothing more of this patch. When a new season of TV series is released, they don't air it all on 1 day, only an episode per week. You can wait until it completes and THEN binge watch it, but not the other way around. Same with wow - you can always wait when the whole questline, all lfr wings etc. are opened and binge-complete it.