Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

Wait a second, when did we ever ask for leveling to be long? Just hard, not long!

Why would any one in their right mind spend so much time leveling for the billionth time? We wanted leveling to be HARDER, not longer! This would allow people to level multiple toons in different regions so that it doesn't bore us to death and make people quit. Remember, what made it worth while in Vanilla was that Vanilla was the end game, we weren't thinking of the many more expansions to come...How many more levels do we need? why not stop at 120 and introduce other kinds of leveling?? This is just stupid.

Edit: Yes, you can make it harder but not longer by reducing the amount of XP needed to next level. Mobs should not die with two hits, neither should you die if you aggro more than one mob, but it shouldn't take forever. We have all been stuck with a main that we no longer liked anymore due to class changes. People wanna level all classes at some point. And no, nobody in their right mind would pay for a boost either, that is even more insane.
    Last edited by RemasteredClassic; 2018-01-19 at 04:05 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RemasteredClassic View Post
    why not stop at 120 and introduce other kinds of leveling?? This is just stupid.
    So your solution to leveling is to create more levels? Why is it that level 121 is worse worse then level 120 + <insert your new numerical level system here>?

Leveling shouldn't be harder. Leveling shouldn't be longer. It still has a place but there is no reason for a level 45 to struggle clearing content when they will out level it. The content is meant to be consumed on the way to End game. Not to be the end game.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

10+ Year Old Account
    Leveling was hard enough for me as a holy priest when WoW first came out; I dread going back to that. That sucked. I agree, however, that leveling in different areas would be better and may help alleviate the boredom a bit.

For the longest time I've felt that the game needs some kind of hard mode for leveling that makes things tougher, but faster. A sort of glass canon mode with increased damage done and XP gained, but also drastically increased damage taken. There are a lot of technical hurdles that might stand in the way of something like this, but with the way scaling tech works I think it's very possible now.
    Last edited by Wondercrab; 2018-01-13 at 06:35 AM.

Deleted
    Vanilla babies can't clear current content so they want leveling to be like it was back in the day because in their twisted minds this is true difficulty lol.

Why would any one in their right mind spend so much time leveling for the billionth time? We wanted leveling to be HARDER, not longer! This would allow people to level multiple toons in different regions so that it doesn't bore us to death and make people quit. Remember, what made it worth while in Vanilla was that Vanilla was the end game, we weren't thinking of the many more expansions to come...How many more levels do we need? why not stop at 120 and introduce other kinds of leveling?? This is just stupid.
    If you haven't noticed, the vast majority of WoW fans seem to conflate the two regularly. The longer something takes, the harder it is. X fight is hard! No, it's just long. This rep grind is hard! No, it's just long. Getting X to drop is hard! No, it just takes a long time. Nothing in WoW is particularly hard. It just all takes a really long time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    WoW would be a great game if it weren't an MMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    Washington state, united states of america.
    5-10% increased time to level to max isn't that big of a deal. Relax people.

- - - Updated - - -

I personally don't have an issue with the levels continuing to rise. However it wouldn't be that hard for blizzard to do a level squish. Literally split everything in half. Each level would take twice as long but there would be less levels. I honestly don't know what's better. They'd have to rearange play ability. Go through old gear and make sure it's level requirement is right. But should be doable. Like max level would be 55 right now and 60 in BFA if they did this. Molten core would be accessible at level 30. But really it'd be mostly just changing the numbers. Zone level scaling will make this even easier to impliment.
    Let's get 1 thing straight, I'm not

The difference is measured in low single digit hours not days. It's almost faster due to less travel time if you quest. And you don't get stuck I something like brd forever of you do dungeons cause there is more options
    Last edited by Onikaroshi; 2018-01-13 at 07:48 AM.

That's what I've been asking this entire time. People seem convinced that it taking longer means they will get satisfaction and fullfillment off of it, I think these people are either CM's posing as MMOC forum goers or people forever trapped in a Skinner's Box scenario of endless dopamine release by relation of the leveling up sound.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    The difference is measured in low single digit hours not days. It's almost faster due to less travel time if you quest. And you don't get stuck I something like brd forever of you do dungeons cause there is more options
    I'm pretty sure it will take longer regardless of what the travel time is between levels 1 and 60, considering you're stuck to the ground or flightpaths to get to anywhere at that point.

Like I get it, you can just start in Elwynn and move forward but eventually you'll run out of shit to do right around Stormwind and go elsewhere. That takes time, and the time saved by not having to back and forth doesn't make up for nearly doubling the leveling requirements.
    There is absolutely no basis for individual rights to firearms or self defense under any contextual interpretation of the second amendment of the United States Constitution. It defines clearly a militia of which is regulated of the people and arms, for the expressed purpose of protection of the free state. Unwillingness to take in even the most basic and whole context of these laws is exactly the road to anarchy.

I think if we are to create a better kind of progression we'd have to do away with leveling entirely for something different. Something that has you feeling like you are still growing stronger as you play, but not feeling like you've peaked at some point for another year's worth of expansion drought.

The increased XP required to level is more than off-set by no longer requiring travel time that breaks your leveling flow as you try to move to a new zone to get more done.

Also remember that we have a number-squish coming up soon and that could again change things quite a bit and Blizz may be doing their changes in a two-tier model to account for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Blamblam41 View Post
    That's what I've been asking this entire time. People seem convinced that it taking longer means they will get satisfaction and fullfillment off of it, I think these people are either CM's posing as MMOC forum goers or people forever trapped in a Skinner's Box scenario of endless dopamine release by relation of the leveling up sound.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm pretty sure it will take longer regardless of what the travel time is between levels 1 and 60, considering you're stuck to the ground or flightpaths to get to anywhere at that point.

Like I get it, you can just start in Elwynn and move forward but eventually you'll run out of shit to do right around Stormwind and go elsewhere. That takes time, and the time saved by not having to back and forth doesn't make up for nearly doubling the leveling requirements.
    Overall quests give more xp, and you underestimate having to change zones every 2 levels/15-20 minutes.

It really doesn't take much longer. I've tested it

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mellrod View Post
    I think if we are to create a better kind of progression we'd have to do away with leveling entirely for something different. Something that has you feeling like you are still growing stronger as you play, but not feeling like you've peaked at some point for another year's worth of expansion drought.
    Yes, let's just remove a base rpg element... No, leveling is fine, not perfect, but fine.

I like how people say that it takes double the time to level up. Did you even try it? It's not nearly double the time. And instead of spending all your time flying around outleveling zones in 3 quests, you actually play the game.

I definitely wanted it to take longer and be harder. I never considered the pull of the original game to be end game. It only is now because the game has become a theme park.

Quote Originally Posted by Bythelight View Post
    Vanilla babies can't clear current content so they want leveling to be like it was back in the day because in their twisted minds this is true difficulty lol.
    What are you butthurt about?

The OP has nothing to do with clearing Antorus.

I'm going to guess you've neither played Vanilla nor cleared the current content.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly I think the solution is to just make playing your class fun at lower levels. As it stands there's a severe lack of abilities at lower levels, and the abilities you do have are one one side of two extremes: useless, or overpowered. Leveling up my fury warrior not long ago for instance, whirlwind was significantly better than any other ability I had. The optimal rotation for much of the leveling process included Whirlwind, Charge, and nothing else. If Blizzard balanced abilities while leveling so that playing your class was actually fun and engaging rather than a chore, then the game as a whole would be better off for it. In the past, I had more fun leveling new characters than I did progressing through raids, because classes were more complex, engaging, and rewarding to play. Classes are just too watered down for me now, and the fact that you often times have to wait till level 80+ to get abilities that are integral to the rotation certainly doesn't help.

Umm. If you've gone through it soo many times, then you should already have enough characters and thus no need to go through it again? So what are you complaining about? I've gone through the 1-90 process several HUNDRED times. Idk if you can grasp that. You only need to go through it 12 times. Viewing leveling/questing as boring is incorrect. It doesn't HAVE to be. If you dislike leveling, then MMORPG's aren't your type of game. WoW leveling is a bit too fast as it is. So fast, you can't really grow a relationship with your character. "Oh, I want a different skin colour on my human mage now so I will just delete this level 63 guy and start a new one". (Although I can see myself doing that because I am really picky, but then again, I spend hours deciding my race/class combos and customization options ^^)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Goondicker View Post
    What are you butthurt about?

The OP has nothing to do with clearing Antorus.

I'm going to guess you've neither played Vanilla nor cleared the current content.
    I've played Vanilla and I've been 11/11 on HC since the very first week of Antorus

Sorry to burst your bubble but Vanilla leveling was hardly Dark Souls, it was a grindfest nothing else, leveling is fine as it is on retailt now pre 7.5, leveling is not amusing to anyone who isn't discovering the game anyway, people who feel bothered by easily killing mobs at low level are just immensely delusional about how mmorpgs have evolved.

I miss wotlk/cata leveling so much...

maybe wasn't the hardest (wotlk was better) but near 80+ it got a bit hard in cata as some classes.

What I liked a lot was having a generic talent tree, I don't care if it's a bland 1% increase to movement speed/dodge etc etc.
    It feels like you get rewarded every level getting a new ability or a talent point, which felt fun and that's why I leveled 5 chars or so back in the day.

Nowadays with a bland talent tree every 15 levels, leveling isn't rewarding at all, getting gear in leveling isn't rewarding at all since most slots are "locked"
    thanks to heirlooms and we are too OP, one shotting everything on the way in questing...

I have been playing WoW end game for years upon years and still do now, I want an option to have a decent leveling experience again
    and just take it easy sometimes, hang back and just explore the world again, be a nobody adventurer and level a new toon and have fun doing so.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    You'll spend less time worrying about your exp/hour when you realize leveling is a bit less of a 72 hour Godmode snoozefest.
    Leveling on the PTR can actually be fun, though I haven't checked if they've made any adjustments, sadly world mobs are still a joke, at least in the 20-40 range, especially as a Ret paladin or Frostmage
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.