Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I'm speaking from personal experience. I've leveled quite a few toons on several different realms.

What makes leveling boring is when it becomes bland. Quests are all too similar with a few stand out ones. By the time you hit max level, you've basically done the same quest 1,000 times. "Go in the cave there and kill 25 baddies and get that orb from the big baddy." You don't even begin to appreciate the designs because you've seen it in another zone, using the same cave design in a previous expansion and the same old spell.

A challenge to leveling would change things up, for sure.... BUT making classes utilize nearly their entire repertoire... by the 5,000th kill it gets tiring and old AF.

Leveling shouldn't be long but it should feel satisfactory.

Make questing different, use brain puzzles, etc etc... someone has to figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by RemasteredClassic View Post
    Why would any one in their right mind spend so much time leveling for the billionth time? We wanted leveling to be HARDER, not longer!
    Why would anyone in their right mind want leveling to be Harder or longer? Except for a niche few, leveling is just a pointless process to get to the real part of the game

And you could always have harder leveling. I did the WoW Ironman challenge, and it was as hard as you could want. Only use Gray and White items, no health pots, no picking a talent specialization, no crafted gear or heirlooms, No grouping, taking portals.

People say they want harder\longer, yet ignore and handwave off all the ways you can control that yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Blamblam41 View Post
    That's what I've been asking this entire time. People seem convinced that it taking longer means they will get satisfaction and fullfillment off of it, I think these people are either CM's posing as MMOC forum goers or people forever trapped in a Skinner's Box scenario of endless dopamine release by relation of the leveling up sound.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm pretty sure it will take longer regardless of what the travel time is between levels 1 and 60, considering you're stuck to the ground or flightpaths to get to anywhere at that point.

Like I get it, you can just start in Elwynn and move forward but eventually you'll run out of shit to do right around Stormwind and go elsewhere. That takes time, and the time saved by not having to back and forth doesn't make up for nearly doubling the leveling requirements.
    And you run out of stuff quicker if you look at the XP rewards.
    Optimum XP is earned from doing exactly what you describe there, only moving far earlier and far more often.

Quote Originally Posted by Weeps View Post
    I'm speaking from personal experience. I've leveled quite a few toons on several different realms.

What makes leveling boring is when it becomes bland. Quests are all too similar with a few stand out ones. By the time you hit max level, you've basically done the same quest 1,000 times. "Go in the cave there and kill 25 baddies and get that orb from the big baddy." You don't even begin to appreciate the designs because you've seen it in another zone, using the same cave design in a previous expansion and the same old spell.

A challenge to leveling would change things up, for sure.... BUT making classes utilize nearly their entire repertoire... by the 5,000th kill it gets tiring and old AF.

Leveling shouldn't be long but it should feel satisfactory.

Make questing different, use brain puzzles, etc etc... someone has to figure it out.
    There is no way to make something universally engaging or appealing to everyone.
    NO content in the game has ever done that, and none ever will.
    The very suggestion you make is actually something hostile to those complaining, that they should have to actually play more to gain something.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2018-01-13 at 07:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

If levelling was "hard" but took 5 minutes it wouldn't be much of a levelling process. The idea behind levelling is you go on a journey, explore, complete storylines (and story can't be done in zip zap speed), also see your class / spec unfold as it gets more abilities along the way. I have plenty of max level chars, but that's because I wanted to. I really don't get the people who are like "I MUST have 30+ alts but I cba levelling, please cut it to minimum". What next "I MUST have 30+ alts geared up but I cba doing dungeons and raids on all of them, give me free gear while you're at it"?

I have no idea what motivates people to spam endless characters and then complain that they can't take levelling any more. At least in WOD there was an incentive in form of garrison gold, but well in that case if someone wanted gold, they had to put the work into it by levelling the chars and the garrisons.

Blizzard already allows you to skip levelling on 1 toon per expansion, for free if you buy that expansion.

Leveling is pretty easy if you have $$$
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    Anyway stop being such an ass fucktard.
    Quote Originally Posted by oblivium666 View Post
    Would you kindly go fuck yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by Bythelight View Post
    I've played Vanilla and I've been 11/11 on HC since the very first week of Antorus

Sorry to burst your bubble but Vanilla leveling was hardly Dark Souls, it was a grindfest nothing else, leveling is fine as it is on retailt now pre 7.5, leveling is not amusing to anyone who isn't discovering the game anyway, people who feel bothered by easily killing mobs at low level are just immensely delusional about how mmorpgs have evolved.
    The notion that people who leveled in Vanilla won't enjoy it a decade later is not entirely true. If it were, people wouldn't play private servers.

Sure mmos have evolved. This doesn't mean they're better. That's why people want an old, broken version more than all the fancy stuff we have now.

Also, while I agree that Vanilla leveling was largely a grindfest, you'd be wrong to say it was all easy in practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrilaife View Post
    If levelling was "hard" but took 5 minutes it wouldn't be much of a levelling process. The idea behind levelling is you go on a journey, explore, complete storylines (and story can't be done in zip zap speed), also see your class / spec unfold as it gets more abilities along the way. I have plenty of max level chars, but that's because I wanted to. I really don't get the people who are like "I MUST have 30+ alts but I cba levelling, please cut it to minimum". What next "I MUST have 30+ alts geared up but I cba doing dungeons and raids on all of them, give me free gear while you're at it"?

I have no idea what motivates people to spam endless characters and then complain that they can't take levelling any more. At least in WOD there was an incentive in form of garrison gold, but well in that case if someone wanted gold, they had to put the work into it by levelling the chars and the garrisons.

Blizzard already allows you to skip levelling on 1 toon per expansion, for free if you buy that expansion.
    The incentive is still there class halls are an easy gold mine.

Heirlooms bruh. 50% makes a ridiculous difference. Plus the fact that you won't have to swap zones so often (saved travel time) and can actually enjoy the storyline of a zone before moving onto the next one AND pick the zones you enjoy leveling in the most to focus on while potentially avoiding entire expansions you disliked will make the whole experience a lot better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Yes, let's just remove a base rpg element... No, leveling is fine, not perfect, but fine.
    There's no reason games must be governed by the dead hand of Gary Gygax.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Levelling is just a barrier before the actual gameplay begins. It needs to be as short as possible and LOOTBOXACTIVISIONBLIZZARD is aiming for that exactly.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Quote Originally Posted by Vargur View Post
    Levelling is just a barrier before the actual gameplay begins. It needs to be as short as possible and LOOTBOXACTIVISIONBLIZZARD is aiming for that exactly.
    Leveling is there to have you slowly learn your class as they introduce more and more abilities to you in an environment that's easier than raiding. Calling it an arbitrary barrier isn't giving nearly enough credit to the people that lovingly craft those dozens of unique zones and stories for players to explore.

Last edited by Powerogue; 2018-01-13 at 07:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Goondicker View Post

Also, while I agree that Vanilla leveling was largely a grindfest, you'd be wrong to say it was all easy in practice.
    Indeed. I have been playing a Hunter, a Rogue and a Warrior since 2005. I have levelled the same toons in Vanilla Retail as well as in several different Private Servers (Vanilla, TBC and WOTLK) and it always suprises me that I still tend to die sometimes, even though I have done the same thing so many times over the years.

Like the WoW Vanilla Manual observed:

No matter how good of an adventurer you are, eventually you will know the stint of death.

(Picture of an UD Rogue spirit in the mills south of Lordaeron in the background).

The game was designed to give you differrent experiences, and dying was one of these. Nowadays, Retail levelling is about just one thing, facerolling on the keyboard.

Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

I do not want leveling to take longer at all. I want it to be shorter. I just want the mobs to be harder to kill.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    Simple is one way of putting it. What if I want to play on a new server, or continue leveling low level characters I've got scattered around? Making it longer to level a character is of no benefit to anyone, particularly veteran players.
    Do you really want to that, with your army of alts, whether it be pre or post 7.3.5?

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    Why would anyone in their right mind want leveling to be Harder or longer? Except for a niche few, leveling is just a pointless process to get to the real part of the game

And you could always have harder leveling. I did the WoW Ironman challenge, and it was as hard as you could want. Only use Gray and White items, no health pots, no picking a talent specialization, no crafted gear or heirlooms, No grouping, taking portals.

People say they want harder\longer, yet ignore and handwave off all the ways you can control that yourself.
    Many seem to not understand what an OPTION means and believe that is either everything or nothing.
    Last edited by Darktbs; 2018-01-13 at 08:00 PM.
    Mage Tower Final Result:
    Dk:3/3 Mage:3/3 Mage:3/3 Mage:1/3 Dh:2/2 Warlock:3/3 Hunter: 3/3 Priest:3/3 Paladin:3/3 Warrior: 3/3 Rogue:3/3 Shaman:3/3 Monk:3/3 Druid: 4/4

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    I do not want leveling to take longer at all. I want it to be shorter. I just want the mobs to be harder to kill.
    ahahahahhah

(isn't that a paradox?)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    ahahahahhah

(isn't that a paradox?)
    No you just make the mobs harder to kill but have them reward more experience points.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    No you just make the mobs harder to kill but have them reward more experience points.
    AH, but ofcourse. That's what i've been saying for a long time.
    Leveling in the world should be more rewarding in terms of XP in order to compete with "LFD spam"

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    AH, but ofcourse. That's what i've been saying for a long time.
    Leveling in the world should be more rewarding in terms of XP in order to compete with "LFD spam"
    Just saying, but Bg spaming is a way better Source of XP currently.Even if you lose.
    Mage Tower Final Result:
    Dk:3/3 Mage:3/3 Mage:3/3 Mage:1/3 Dh:2/2 Warlock:3/3 Hunter: 3/3 Priest:3/3 Paladin:3/3 Warrior: 3/3 Rogue:3/3 Shaman:3/3 Monk:3/3 Druid: 4/4

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darktbs View Post
    Just saying, but Bg spaming is a way better Source of XP currently.Even if you lose.
    Are you sure?
    I leveled my rogue in BG's from 100 to 110 but it didnt seem that amazing.
    I just skiped one entire zone (Highmountain) and still did all the other zones.