Poll: Do you like the current heirloom system?

Page 1 of 12
... LastLast

Lightbulb Is patch 7.3.5 the time to get rid of heirlooms?

One thing that leveling really lacks for me currently is gear progression, alot of people are praising older versions of wow that questing and dungeons actually felt rewarding, it felt good to get a green or blue item after finishing a long quest chain, or winning the roll in deadmines.

With 7.3.5 which fixes one of the major problems of leveling I feel like it would be a good oppertunity to change up heirlooms to get that feeling back, like Ion said at blizzcon how raidtier set items locks in 4 gearslots of your character, heirlooms do that for 10 of your gearslots. While I dont think heirlooms are a bad thing, I think its a bad thing that 10 of your gearlocks are locked and there is not a single item that I have seen that is better than heirlooms at whatever level.

My suggestion is to transform Heirlooms into item enchants.
    This way looting gear while leveling will usefull again,
    You dont have to spend tons of gold for each different armour type,
    Your character doesnt look the same from lvl 1 to lvl 110,
    The enchants will atleast contain an EXP buff,
    Your friends wont get mad that you do have heirlooms and they dont, because you can enchant their items too just like how enchanting works right now,
    Other (new) players wont get obliberated when entering a battleground or dungeon.

It also fits more into the game fantasy IMO, right now pulling infinite overpowered items out of your butt at level 1 feels really dumb, but enchanting items with spells and wisdoms that you earned on your higher level character isnt so bad.

Id like to hear your opinions or different ideas

EDIT:
    Discussing DESIGN of heirlooms, not wether I LIKE them or not
    Last edited by Scourge12309; 2017-12-22 at 06:12 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    heirlooms dont fill every slot
    heirlooms are now going to be weaker then some gear (in later levels) so sometimes you will get gear and go "fuck this is better then my heirloom... but i need the exp" therefore you are weaker because of it
    who looks at their charecter well leveling anyways
    heirlooms are a luxury, if you dont want to pay the gold for them, you dont have to.
    again they are being nerfed, and in some cases even weaker then normal gear, so no, you wont curb stomp in BG's (well maybe up to level like 40...)
    people want to level well leveling, enjoy their leveling. Those who are new will find enjoyment in geting new gear, but those who are gettng epics and legendaries 100x a day wont feel anything when they get a green

also who would love to enchant your gear every single time you get a new peice... "done this quest ok enchant it, this quest ok enchant that" literally 1000 times. and boy if you forget to "ok i will enchant this when we are done the dungeon..."
    Last edited by FelPlague; 2017-12-22 at 02:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

While this sounds interesting I am going to say no. One reason is I have been stuck with that one blue pair of pants from level 15 till 25 if I had heirlooms I wouldn't have to worry about the rng. You see where I am going?

No thanx, leveling is PISS.. everything that can speed up that crap is good!
    More heirlooms and make it 200% exp / item instead!

If you like leveling and wanna level turtlespeed, feel free to NOT equip them and that's that.. why the f**k remove something for others that they prefer when you can solve your whole issue with just not using them yourself? And friend angry that you have heirlooms o.O.. what kind of argument is that? Tell them to stfu or simply dont use them if you wanna level synced! Christ!

7+ Year Old Account
    Did they say that they were basically going to bring heirloom gear on par with most other gear? Right now heirloom gear is superior to most lvling greens/blues but that they wanted to bring them down to be on par with those lvling greens/blues. The only benefit from heirlooms should be the exp boost which is fair imo.

tbh I'd like if we could get the experience boost as some kind of buff, but instead have the gear "removed"

10+ Year Old Account
    Before I quit WoW, I leveled from the beginning at least 30 or 40 times overall (I've started many sets of toons with my partner that we didn't finish). I've brought every single class to max level in multiple expansions, from when heirlooms were first released (but I had none) to now. To me, "winning" a blue drop at level 20 after a "long quest line" is meaningless. I've already done all of those quests many, many, many times before, in the Old World and the new.

Heirlooms let me bring a class that I feel like replaying for kicks back to the end of the game quicker so I can enjoy the max level content with my friends.

I think original idea behind heirlooms was to speed up alt leveling. I've seen the story once idc to see it again hurry up l want max level. If your friends are mad at you because you use heirlooms well don't use them and level with them the normal way simple as that. Maybe they want to see the story again or for first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawon View Post
    No thanx, leveling is PISS.. everything that can speed up that crap is good!
    More heirlooms and make it 200% exp / item instead!

If you like leveling and wanna level turtlespeed, feel free to NOT equip them and that's that.. why the f**k remove something for others that they prefer when you can solve your whole issue with just not using them yourself? And friend angry that you have heirlooms o.O.. what kind of argument is that? Tell them to stfu or simply dont use them if you wanna level synced! Christ!
    I recommend you to check leveling changes in 7.3.5. You are probably going to have a breakdown

i doubt ill be levelling anymore toons as i find levelling boring currently and these changes don't fix it for me

Deleted
    I agree, item enchants is a much better solution.

It would make quest rewards and dungeon drops relevant, it would make crafted items more useful. It might make leveling more fun.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ReVnX View Post
    I recommend you to check leveling changes in 7.3.5. You are probably going to have a breakdown
    Looking at official forums, many players already had mental breakdowns. All of them have one thing in common - they don't want to play MMORPG, they want to play arcade style whack-a-proc game where only latest content matters.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    Did they say that they were basically going to bring heirloom gear on par with most other gear? Right now heirloom gear is superior to most lvling greens/blues but that they wanted to bring them down to be on par with those lvling greens/blues. The only benefit from heirlooms should be the exp boost which is fair imo.
    they have nerfed heirlooms. they now are on average on par with gear, and sometimes with strong blues are even slightly weaker. but after a level or two will get ahead again
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Scourge12309 View Post
    It still is, for those slots heirlooms do not cover. For the heirloom slots, gold is always useful.
    Instead I have to spend it on having tons of enchants stockpiled in my bags, ready to be used every single time I get a new piece?
    Transmog.
    At least? And what else? What is useful while leveling, besides bonus experience? More stats? Already covered by heirlooms automatically adjusting to your level.
    Your friends wont get mad that you do have heirlooms and they dont, because you can enchant their items too just like how enchanting works right now,
    They can buy their own, not my problem.
    Other (new) players wont get obliberated when entering a battleground or dungeon.
    Half of this argument is valid but can be countered by using pvp template. You can't obliterate new players in dungeons, it's PVE only. Sure, they won't do as much damage, but that's irrelevant if 4/5 are decked in heirlooms.

All in all, you're making up a new system that essentially does the same as the current, but is far more complicated to use, for very little actual benefit to anyone using it.

Edit:

there is not a single item that I have seen that is better than heirlooms at whatever level.
    There are a select few items that are better at their earliest obtainable level than their heirloom counterpart at that level. But one or two levels laters, they are the same or worse, so they are irrelevant.
    Last edited by mmoc4ce4b1614a; 2017-12-22 at 03:02 PM.

To be honest, a hard pass from me. After all those years, I dont want to go back to finding overjoy in looting a pauldron in low-level dungeons. It might be great at that time, for me not anymore. Also, I know that many of you won't agree, but I don't understand why everyone is so much into making things slower. If you really want it slower, just don't use them. I stopped caring about levelling (since Cata), because those levels feel rather limited when you think about what you can do with a 110.

Nice bait and switch with the title of the thread and the question in the poll.

No need to get rid of heirlooms. If you don't like them, you are free to level without them. As someone who likes to play a horde of alts, they reduce the amount of time I need to put in to level multiple classes to cap.

Besides, you can only upgrade them to match the level cap well after a new expansion launches, so I'm not seeing the problem in "skipping content", either. Anyone with even a few alts knows that you usually prefer leveling through the familiar, quick routes. Removing heirlooms would only mean that it takes longer, and people would stick to the regular routes even more religiously.
    "It's just like I always said! You can do battle with strength, you can do battle with wits, but no weapon can beat a great pair of tits!"

One thing that leveling really lacks for me currently is gear progression, alot of people are praising older versions of wow that questing and dungeons actually felt rewarding, it felt good to get a green or blue item after finishing a long quest chain, or winning the roll in deadmines.

With 7.3.5 which fixes one of the major problems of leveling I feel like it would be a good oppertunity to change up heirlooms to get that feeling back, like Ion said at blizzcon how raidtier set items locks in 4 gearslots of your character, heirlooms do that for 10 of your gearslots. While I dont think heirlooms are a bad thing, I think its a bad thing that 10 of your gearlocks are locked and there is not a single item that I have seen that is better than heirlooms at whatever level.

My suggestion is to transform Heirlooms into item enchants.

It also fits more into the game fantasy IMO, right now pulling infinite overpowered items out of your butt at level 1 feels really dumb, but enchanting items with spells and wisdoms that you earned on your higher level character isnt so bad.

Id like to hear your opinions or different ideas
    Why? Don't like them, don't use them.
    It's that simple. If anything, they need to add more for every slot to make up for the nerfed leveling speed in the next patch.

Oh, and thats one horrible poll right there.
    Last edited by Aggrophobic; 2017-12-22 at 03:07 PM.

In my opinion, heirlooms should basically be a toy that you can toggle on and off and which gives you an XP gained/stat% buff .

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    Not exactly. What they are doing is making quest rewards better. If you log on to the ptr and look at quest rewards they scale up to your character's level as long as your character is within the zone level limit.

Slowing leveling down isn't going to suddenly make it fun. They made this decision purely because it will take you longer to level, this change came directly from the CFO

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    Why? Don't like them, don't use them.
    It's that simple. If anything, they need to add more for every slot to make up for the nerfed leveling speed in the next patch.
    Dont like them, dont use them is the most stupid argument I read, its like saying to people who didnt like artifact weapons, yea dont use them.
    Not liking something and not using it handicaps in this case the player really bad which is terrible design, like 80% of the players will be double as strong as you so leveling basicly becomes a solo player game, battlegrounds will be unplayable, and you ll be useless in dungeons because the other will output much more than you.

I also said the XP thing is a great thing which they should definitly keep in one way or another.

The current system is removing 10 gear slots from the game and every leveling character is basicly a walking heirloom template.
    - He who moves first always wins -