Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Could Magni Bronzebeard be corrupted by Old Gods? (Spoilers?)

Yo, this may sound pretty far-fetched and I'm really stretching here, but here we go:

I just watched one of BellularGaming's videos which was about the end of our artifacts, and one of the points he made was that when we use our artifacts to contain the corruption of Sargeras' blade, we are not destroying that power, we are merely containing it. There are a couple of artifacts with actual beings inside of them, namely Aluneth and Xal'atath. The latter of course being much more relevant, and now it is partially empowered by the most powerful being in existence.

This is where I'm stretching: it does sound a very reasonable request to draw the power spilling out of the blade into our own, but is it possible that Magni only wanted this to empower Xal'atath, with the added bonus of nullifying the most powerful weapons on Azeroth. At this point we have taken everything Magni has said as gospel by virtue of him being the 'Speaker' of our own Titan, but it isn't perhaps too far flung to imagine an Old God influenced attempt to get the mortal races to stop at nothing to stop the Legion, as the Old Gods are I'm sure well aware of what Sargeras intends/intended to do with Azeroth. How do we know he's actually speaking for Azeroth? What if the ritual that turned him into diamond was an Old God intervention? (I admit to not knowing much lore-wise about his transformation).

Maybe too wild, but I found it certainly interesting. Do you think it's possible?
    Last edited by Pum; 2018-01-13 at 07:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    I wouldn't say corrupted, but there is a chance that not everything he hears comes from azeroth.

15+ Year Old Account
    Actually, I think the possibility of Magni being corrupted is as discussed as the patch he was re-introduced in if not more.

It is, succinctly, impossible that he has zero old god influence. That is just not how old gods/world souls work

10+ Year Old Account
    We'll just have to put him under a Magni-fying glass.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I think the utterance by Il'gynoth, "the King of Diamonds has been made a pawn," is more just it and the Old Gods being derisive of Magni being the Speaker of Azeroth and thus being placed at its beck and call. I don't think he's corrupted or acting on the Old Gods' behalf (willingly or unwillingly as the case might be), but rather they're just poking fun of his predicament.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    I think the utterance by Il'gynoth, "the King of Diamonds has been made a pawn," is more just it and the Old Gods being derisive of Magni being the Speaker of Azeroth and thus being placed at its beck and call. I don't think he's corrupted or acting on the Old Gods' behalf (willingly or unwillingly as the case might be), but rather they're just poking fun of his predicament.
    Also in that video I saw it says the King of Diamonds could actually be Anduin, though the reference to Magni is much more likely. Who knows though, these riddles by Il'gynoth have been rather impressively constructed, there are so many possibilities.

The pawn remark could mean what Azeroth is telling to Magni and by extension us Mortals, is inadvertently aiding the Old Gods because those actions are staving/have staved off the Legion, who were their biggest threat. Or it could mean that he is in the process of being hijacked by the Old Gods from the Speaker, and of course Azeroth would be none the wiser if that was happening.

Deleted
    Yes, just what we need to improve the story, another earth person going insane because old god reasons

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The One Percent View Post
    Hariuha laþu laukar gakar alu ole lule laukar

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    I wouldn't say corrupted, but there is a chance that not everything he hears comes from azeroth.
    Well I mean Il'gynoth literally tells us the king of diamonds is but a pawn.

Quote Originally Posted by The One Percent View Post
    I laughed harder than I should have at this.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

10+ Year Old Account
    What if it's not Magni that has been corrupted, but Azeroth? Maybe Azeroth is using him reassure us that everything is fine when it isn't? Would explain Il'gynoth's comment about him being a pawn. We know that the whole reason for the Old Gods presence is to corrupt her so it fits lore-wise, though Il'gynoth warning us of that would be counter-intuitive to their cause. I guess he could have been trying to make us doubt Magni though, Old Gods are sneaky like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarc View Post
    The Horde is the West, the Allies are the Soviets (kind of makes more sense the other way around, but I'm Horde and I didn't want to be the commies in this metaphor.. For the Horde!) and the Legion are the Nazis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    A person who is saying "You need a good guy with a gun to stop a bad guy with a gun" sounds like someone who wants to sell 2 guns.

Quote Originally Posted by monopoly man View Post
    Yes, just what we need to improve the story, another earth person going insane because old god reasons
    If there was going to be a story involving a prominent character being subdued by Old God influence this would literally be the character to do it to. Our Titan is the be all or end all, Magni has been the only time we've ever had some sort of communication with Azeroth and is the reason we even knows she exists. Fuck Deathwing, fuck Azshara, fuck Voldemort.. lets corrupt THE speaker of Azeroth to make the mortal races as vulnerable as possible by 'Azeroth's will'. Very naughty indeed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LaserChild9 View Post
    What if it's not Magni that has been corrupted, but Azeroth? Maybe Azeroth is using him reassure us that everything is fine when it isn't? Would explain Il'gynoth's comment about him being a pawn. We know that the whole reason for the Old Gods presence is to corrupt her so it fits lore-wise, though Il'gynoth warning us of that would be counter-intuitive to their cause. I guess he could have been trying to make us doubt Magni though, Old Gods are sneaky like that.
    I don't think it's too counter-intuitive, Il'gynoth probably gives the people he is speaking to no credit at all in regards to deciphering his whispers. It's easy for us as players to speculate, but from the characters perspective I doubt they're as intuitive with only their own side of the story to work from.

Azeroth could already be corrupted yeah, could explain Sargeras' final hoo-rah. Though I'd expect there to be some sort of fireworks display to show that, otherwise I'd be disappoint

If he had even a hint of old god corruption in him, I'm pretty damn sure that when Eonar reached out to him she would have sensed it.
    I'm also pretty sure Il'gynoth wants us to turn on Magni, convince us he's the baddy to distract us. Seems more like an old god thing to do.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Would be great if the heart of azeroth would lead to an old god expansion, like the players has been collecting this azerite lifeblood, only for it to be taken by n'zoth to empower him or reach deeper into Azeroth herself.

9.0 world revamp, n'zoth invades, eastern kingdoms/kalimdor as expansion zones.

Everyone is corrupted! Kill them all!

7+ Year Old Account
    If the Earth Warden, Neltharion, Gifted with power and knowledge by the Titans can get corrupted by the Old Gods...you really think a tiny Dwarf can't be?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teri View Post
    Would be great if the heart of azeroth would lead to an old god expansion, like the players has been collecting this azerite lifeblood, only for it to be taken by n'zoth to empower him or reach deeper into Azeroth herself.

9.0 world revamp, n'zoth invades, eastern kingdoms/kalimdor as expansion zones.
    That's a cool premise for sure, but I'd rather it lead to an underworld expansion than a revamp. N'Zoth gets empowered and starts to burrow down towards the worldsoul, and we gotta get down there and save it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    That's a cool premise for sure, but I'd rather it lead to an underworld expansion than a revamp. N'Zoth gets empowered and starts to burrow down towards the worldsoul, and we gotta get down there and save it.
    Let's take it even further - one of azeroth moons is hollow, and n'zoth will eject himself into it. Then you gonna have subterran expansion not even on the moon but in the moon !

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Let's take it even further - one of azeroth moons is hollow, and n'zoth will eject himself into it. Then you gonna have subterran expansion not even on the moon but in the moon !
    I did think of a moon zone but I never even imagined you could be inside the moon, whooaaaa.

I always liked the idea that Algalon was hanging out on the moon when he wasn't at Ulduar. I seriously do think it would make a good potential zone, like another Argus. One big area could be a Titan facility where Algalon's observatory is built.

Quote Originally Posted by Gohzerlock View Post
    Everyone is corrupted! Kill them all!
    This sounds awfully familiar...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    I did think of a moon zone but I never even imagined you could be inside the moon, whooaaaa.

I always liked the idea that Algalon was hanging out on the moon when he wasn't at Ulduar. I seriously do think it would make a good potential zone, like another Argus. One big area could be a Titan facility where Algalon's observatory is built.
    Imagine mechanical city that had size of suramar or bigger. Full of steam, gears, and most importantly elevators (with flying obviously disabled).