10+ Year Old Account

Chelsea Manning: Ex-army leaker to run for US senate

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42679005

Chelsea Manning, the former US intelligence analyst who was jailed for leaking classified documents, is seeking the Democratic Party nomination to run for the US senate in Maryland.

In 2013 Manning was sentenced to 35 years after being found guilty of 20 charges, including espionage.

But former US President Barack Obama commuted her sentence.

The 30-year-old, who was born Bradley Manning, will challenge Democratic Senator Ben Cardin for the nomination.

The former US soldier moved to Maryland after being released from prison in May 2017.

Manning was arrested in Iraq in 2010 for sharing more than 700,000 confidential documents, videos and diplomatic cables with anti-secrecy website Wikileaks.

Manning said she shared the documents to spark public debate about US foreign policy, but US officials said the release of material put lives at risk.

The case and Manning herself continue to be politically divisive in the United States.

Former President Obama said the sentence she was given was "disproportionate", but President Donald Trump has labelled her an "ungrateful traitor" who "should never have been released from prison"
    Since her release Manning has remained active on social media, and has continued to discuss issues such as government transparency, free speech and transgender rights.

Speaking to Vogue in August, she refused to discount running for political office in the future.

"My goal is to use these next six months to figure out where I want to go," she told the magazine.

Manning will be challenging 74-year-old incumbent Senator Cardin for the Democratic nomination.

Mr Cardin has held the Maryland seat since 2007, and is favourite to retain the seat for a third term in the heavily-Democratic state.
    I don't think I could trust someone who already broke the law (alebeit in good faith) and trust of the employer. It's a weird situation.

Well, criminals like Arpaio are running, and the whole administration are getting busted for crimes one by one. Seems like the new normal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Sounds like a good thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mmmm, Manning has no chance
    Last edited by Crissi; 2018-01-14 at 01:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Mmmm, he has no chance
    Wow thank you for saying He, I came in here to say "Do you mean BRADLEY Manning? HE doesn't have a chance." You beat me to it, I didn't expect that from an mmo champion mod, pleasant surprise.

Title is misleading, no one named Chelsea Manning ever did this, it was a guy named Bradley.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruor View Post
    Wow thank you for saying He, I came in here to say "Do you mean BRADLEY Manning? HE doesn't have a chance." You beat me to it, I didn't expect that from an mmo champion mod, pleasant surprise.
    Just look at the next post.
    Last edited by JohnBrown1917; 2018-01-14 at 01:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    Meh, could be a honest mistake, if you want real trans phobia, just look at the next post.
    Oh no, you called me transphobic, I'm so offended. People who are 'trans' have a mental illness, get over it snowflake.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpha View Post

I don't think I could trust someone who already broke the law (alebeit in good faith) and trust of the employer. It's a weird situation.
    Given that a paedo just missed getting elected by a few per cent I fail to see the issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mmmm, he has no chance
    Will be ironic when you lock this as a gender bashing thread while being the poster to make this about gender?

The Political Pettiness of Misgendering Transgender People
    As the general public moves closer to accepting transgender people, the phenomenon of misgendering is coming into sharper relief—and being seen as the petty move that it is.

The guy that ran against Danica Roem also liked to pull the same move. Sad political races have to go there.

10+ Year Old Account
    reminder: transgender discussion will get the thread shut down because it falls under gender discussion

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daren View Post
    Oh no, you called me transphobic, I'm so offended. People who are 'trans' have a mental illness, get over it snowflake.
    Ok dude, whatever.

- - - Updated - - -

reminder: transgender discussion will get the thread shut down because it falls under gender discussion
    From the mod who started it, rather ironic actually.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    Just look at the next post.
    HOw the fuck is it an honest mistake? Can't be from reading the OP's article. People decided to bring their own bagge into this. Do they really deserve the benefit of the doubt?

Chelsea Manning, the former US intelligence analyst who was jailed for leaking classified documents, is seeking the Democratic Party nomination to run for the US senate in Maryland.

In 2013 Manning was sentenced to 35 years after being found guilty of 20 charges, including espionage.

But former US President Barack Obama commuted her sentence.

The 30-year-old, who was born Bradley Manning, will challenge Democratic Senator Ben Cardin for the nomination.

The former US soldier moved to Maryland after being released from prison in May 2017.

Manning was arrested in Iraq in 2010 for sharing more than 700,000 confidential documents, videos and diplomatic cables with anti-secrecy website Wikileaks.

Manning said she shared the documents to spark public debate about US foreign policy, but US officials said the release of material put lives at risk.

The case and Manning herself continue to be politically divisive in the United States.

Former President Obama said the sentence she was given was "disproportionate", but President Donald Trump has labelled her an "ungrateful traitor" who "should never have been released from prison"
    Since her release Manning has remained active on social media, and has continued to discuss issues such as government transparency, free speech and transgender rights.

Speaking to Vogue in August, she refused to discount running for political office in the future.

"My goal is to use these next six months to figure out where I want to go," she told the magazine.

Manning will be challenging 74-year-old incumbent Senator Cardin for the Democratic nomination.

Mr Cardin has held the Maryland seat since 2007, and is favourite to retain the seat for a third term in the heavily-Democratic state.

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    HOw the fuck is it an honest mistake? Can't be from reading the OP's article. People decided to bring their own bagge into this. Do they really deserve the benefit of the doubt?
    Typos happen?

Prob won't win, but it will be interesting how her opposition attacks her.

Quote Originally Posted by Algy View Post
    Prob won't win, but it will be interesting how her opposition attacks her.
    She has a easy response, she can say "I was a completely different person back then"

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    She has a easy response, she can say "I was a completely different person back then"
    Okay i giggled, well played!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    Could be a typo, but i'm losing my doubts about that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    Typos happen?
    It's clearly not a typo, as their correction was not to "she" but to "Manning", which while technically correct is at the same time still quite clearly not she.

And since that post all the mod has done is tell people not talk about transgender stuff, not actually correct themselves.

In any case, at the topic at hand, yay cool good for her whatever I really don't give two shits about who is running and am far more interested in if they've got a solid platform. The popularity contests for our leadership in this country are just absurd. I don't care if you've got three dicks and 2.75 vaginas, if you represent the things I support you've got my vote.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

There was a warning to drop the gender topic, and since it's clearly just going to keep getting brought up, just gonna close this now before it spirals out of control.