Poll: Gnome Shaman or Druid or both?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    That makes no sense. Pandaren taught others how to be monks after Goblins joined the horde.
    No, starting zones happen in their respective time periods.

That's why Blood elves still deal with joining the Horde in Eversong woods / Ghostlands, that's why the Draenei starting zone evolves around being recently crashed.

Just like gnome shamans there is no real reason why they were skipped other then they were.
    Gnomes have rarely been seen to worship deities / spirits, even their priests are mostly referred to as medics rather than priests.

Gnomes simply are more out for more practical stuff.

Deleted
    They learned priest from dwarves. They can learn shaman and paladin aswell. Druid is more difficult though.

Quote Originally Posted by Chakah View Post
    Dwarves are just 'evolved' machines also, and they can be shaman and priests.
    I thought Dwarven history is rooted in the earth, where as Gnome history is rooted in artificial creation.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

gnome druids ftw. i have two words for you.

twig form.

Sand Gnomes are a thing, and they cast Elemental-based spells.

So why not?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    No, starting zones happen in their respective time periods.
    That isn't true because no starting zone time periods were updated for the release of Mists yet they include monks.

Gnomes have rarely been seen to worship deities / spirits, even their priests are mostly referred to as medics rather than priests. Gnomes simply are more out for more practical stuff.
    Right. But if goblins can become shamans there is no real basis to stop gnomes from becoming shamans.

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Could you please explain the lore behind goblin shamans? Goblins do not seem like a particularly spiritual race, especially one that would care about the elements (as evidenced by the Venture Co.).
    Goblin shaman are an extension of their society's single-minded devotion to making a profit; to a goblin shaman, elementals are potential customers. Goblins do tend to be a bit more forceful in their negotiations than the other shamanic races (especially the tauren) would like, though they are far less forceful than what we've seen from the taunka in Northrend. (Unless the elemental tries to weasel out of its contract. Elementals tend not to have breakable knees, so goblins sometimes have to resort to other methods of control.) As for the goblins' "mechanical" totems, note that these are merely physical manifestations of the small totems they tinker/craft to form a link with the elemental spirits. Instead of lugging around large totems, goblin shaman have a ring (probably the same ring on which they keep their house and motorbike keys) with small totems they've built as conduits for the elemental spirits they do business with.
    Goblins aren't shown to be worshiping the elementals. Gnomes could easily follow a similar path. Instead of potential customers it could be potential power sources for technology. Learning how to control fire, air, lightning etc for their inventions some gnomes have started to commune with and form a bond with elementals. They could easily have a mechanical manifestation to totems as well.

Also another key part I think is engineering uses a lot of elemental parts to their creations. They would need to study (or harvest/kill) elementals in order to hone and develop that craft. Like I said there is no real reason for why gnomes can't be shamans.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nemmar View Post
    They learned priest from dwarves. They can learn shaman and paladin aswell. Druid is more difficult though.
    Gnome druids would be awesome and something that Blizzard might slowly building up to. They have really expanded the mechanical creature part a lot and as for druid forms it could be explained away that gnomes manifest a mechanical form just like goblins manifest a mechanical totem. Though it is a bigger stretch then shamans but I'd rather have gnome druids.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Classes are a profession, not a birthright. Any race can by any class. Just because we can't play them doesn't mean they can't or don't exist.

That isn't true because no starting zone time periods were updated for the release of Mists yet they include monks.
    They threw in a Pandaren Monk trainer, like:

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Bao
    https://wow.gamepedia.com/Liu_of_the_Bottomless_Tankard
    https://wow.gamepedia.com/Mojo_Stormstout

Full list: https://wow.gamepedia.com/Monk_trainers

And again, they just threw in that one Monk npc, "there's that guy that taught you how to be a monk", no greater explanation behind that, the starting zone still takes place in BC / Cata era.

Learning how to control fire, air, lightning etc for their inventions some gnomes have started to commune with and form a bond with elementals. They could easily have a mechanical manifestation to totems as well.
    You could justify ANY race to become a Shaman, the elements give no fuck about your race.

Gnome druids would be awesome and something that Blizzard might slowly building up to. They have really expanded the mechanical creature part a lot and as for druid forms it could be explained away that gnomes manifest a mechanical form just like goblins manifest a mechanical totem. Though it is a bigger stretch then shamans but I'd rather have gnome druids.
    I wanna see that Balance & Resto Gnome Druid.

A mechanical Totem is a totally different thing than "mech transformation", Druid evolved around that they get a blessing a an Bear / Cat spirit to get said transformation.

Gnome Hunters work because mech pets are basically robots.

15+ Year Old Account
    And again, they just threw in that one Monk npc, "there's that guy that taught you how to be a monk", no greater explanation behind that, the starting zone still takes place in BC / Cata era.
    Which is why there is nothing stopping them from doing the same for Goblins.

You could justify ANY race to become a Shaman, the elements give no fuck about your race.
    Then why were you saying that gnomes are not fit for Shamans?

A mechanical Totem is a totally different thing than "mech transformation", Druid evolved around that they get a blessing a an Bear / Cat spirit to get said transformation. Gnome Hunters work because mech pets are basically robots.
    By why can't parts of the that transformation manifest in a different way? We already have racial forms. Why can't a gnome racial form be more "robotic" when we have apparently self propagating wild robots now. If they can't self propagate I wonder who is building them all.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by babalou1 View Post
    The only new class a gnome should get is to be a Paladin.
    *demonic voice* BEGONE THOT

- - - Updated - - -

They threw in a Pandaren Monk trainer, like:

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Bao
    https://wow.gamepedia.com/Liu_of_the_Bottomless_Tankard
    https://wow.gamepedia.com/Mojo_Stormstout

Full list: https://wow.gamepedia.com/Monk_trainers

I wanna see that Balance & Resto Gnome Druid.

A mechanical Totem is a totally different thing than "mech transformation", Druid evolved around that they get a blessing a an Bear / Cat spirit to get said transformation.

Gnome Hunters work because mech pets are basically robots.
    But what about if you were a Faceless or a Nathrezim, I feel like the elements would try to flipping murder you if you got close

- - - Updated - - -

Which is why there is nothing stopping them from doing the same for Goblins.

By why can't parts of the that transformation manifest in a different way? We already have racial forms. Why can't a gnome racial form be more "robotic" when we have apparently self propagating wild robots now. If they can't self propagate I wonder who is building them all.
    How the hell would Blizz explain a bunch of midgets running around casting nature spells and turning into a robot

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nemmar View Post
    The Gnomes tendency for inflated egos stops them from properly making a deal with the elements, while they also don't have the faith in the light necessary to become a paladin

10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.
    Actually, I think there's no place for races like goblins or gnomes in the game because of the mechanical aspects.

Why does the tech stop at ground vehicles, a few flying vehicles, bombs and gimmicky things? How gas/oil-burning engines and such should exist in such a medieval-type setting never made sense, especially since the other races don't develop their own similar tech to counter it.

IMHO, gnomes and goblins and their mechanical contraptions seem completely out of place in WoW.
    Last edited by Caolela; 2018-01-15 at 02:05 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    I thought Dwarven history is rooted in the earth, where as Gnome history is rooted in artificial creation.
    I think both races were created by the keepers and evolved via the Curse of Flesh.

Earthen don't have gears (that we know of), but is there really that much difference between stone and metal?
    Perhaps gnomes affiliation to electricty would substitute for dwarves affiliation to stone in their shamanism. Different paths to the same result.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Psykho View Post
    How the hell would Blizz explain a bunch of midgets running around casting nature spells and turning into a robot
    Same way they explain everything else. It takes more work then shamanism certainly but it is possible. They could really fit the crazy nature of npc druids as well with gnomes being a part of https://wow.gamepedia.com/Druids_for...ent_of_Animals that oppose the exploitative nature of Goblin/gnome tech and strive to protect the mechanical wildlife.

It could even bring mechagnomes as a sub race that can actually transform into different robot forms.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Caolela View Post
    Why does the tech stop at ground vehicles, a few flying vehicles, bombs and gimmicky things? How gas/oil-burning engines and such should exist in such a medieval-type setting never made sense, especially since the other races don't develop their own similar tech to counter it.
    It really doesn't stop there though. It just is a basic mechanical technology. Look at Eredar/Draenei, look at the titans. The gnomes tinker because they were created to tinker and the old gods turned them to flesh. Gnomes took tech and replaced it with magic. Blood elves have technology but use magic to power it rather then mechanical nature.

WoW was never really medieval setting. Maybe in its very first iteration but tech of gnomes/goblins should really be the least "really?" thing in WoW.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    TBH, I think No. Since they come from Mechagnomes that were inflicted with Curse of the Flesh, meaning they were Machines and thus would have the least connection to nature of any Races except Undead.

Gnomes are above all magically curious, and not afraid to step into taboo magic if it means learning and understanding more magic. Besides, anyone can learn shamanism and druidism. Elementals can't afford to be picky with who is willing to listen to them and treat them with respect. Gnomes grow, eat, and survive just like all other species and can ultimately relate to nature on a basic primal level. Gnomes are logical, and it would be logical to serve Azeroth with druidism or shamanism - especially with their penchant for magic, gnomes would make terrifyingly powerful druid and shaman spell-casters.

In Legion some Gnomes are approaching beast-mastery with their fantastical mech-pets. In an effort to create realistic animals, a gnome would have had to have studied animal behavior scientifically. Understanding beasts, animals, sympathizing, empathizing with, and creating a bond powerful enough to fight with a creation modeled after the behaviors of animals would make a gnome the most knowledgeable of animals than anyone else. Understanding, study, and the scientific method may be the key for gnomes to initially approach shamanism and druidism, their mortality the twist that seals a gnome's dedication to the study and craft, and their penchant for quick-learning the vehicle that speeds them to being actually good at it.

In the classic intro for gnomes, it's mentioned that the gnomes have shared the resources of the forested peaks of Dun Morogh with their dwarven cousins for generations -- and Wildhammer dwarfs have both shaman and druids. It isn't unreasonable to speculate that at one point gnomes knew shamanism or druidism. Were they always a technological marvel? Was there a period after the Curse of Flesh where the Gnomes were more... well, human, or even dwarf-like in their approach to the world and survival? Did they have tribes in the past? Could that explain how we got sand and pygmy gnomes?
    Last edited by Razion; 2018-01-15 at 02:51 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll pass, personally. Don't really like goblin shamans either (even though I play one!)
    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)

10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.
    Same way they explain everything else. It takes more work then shamanism certainly but it is possible. They could really fit the crazy nature of npc druids as well with gnomes being a part of https://wow.gamepedia.com/Druids_for...ent_of_Animals that oppose the exploitative nature of Goblin/gnome tech and strive to protect the mechanical wildlife.

It could even bring mechagnomes as a sub race that can actually transform into different robot forms.

- - - Updated - - -

It really doesn't stop there though. It just is a basic mechanical technology. Look at Eredar/Draenei, look at the titans. The gnomes tinker because they were created to tinker and the old gods turned them to flesh. Gnomes took tech and replaced it with magic. Blood elves have technology but use magic to power it rather then mechanical nature.

WoW was never really medieval setting. Maybe in its very first iteration but tech of gnomes/goblins should really be the least "really?" thing in WoW.
    Yes not really medieval, but I use that for lack of a better term. For me, the mech devices and vehicles just never have fit in a world like Azeroth. YMMV.

Every race, every class. Would make things so much easier to balance. And so much more fun to play. Don't want race imbalance? Make all the races worth playing. Don't want class imbalance? Make all the classes worth playing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    WoW would be a great game if it weren't an MMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    How sad one's life must be to have a 'burning hatred' of a fictional race in a video game. :/

Having said that, I wouldn't normally associate gnomes with shaman but if something as selfish and self-serving as a goblin can do it, it stands to reason that a gnome could as well.
    Or they were just making a joke :3

Because their culture simply does not fit. period.

This is the same stupid discussion everytime about certain race / class combo, yes you could always conjure up a renegade group that practices X because of reasons.

This is a fictional story, we could find justifications for Orc Priest / Paladin or Dwarf Demon Hunter if Blizzard likes, it does not mean that it should be as it damages racial / class lore even further.

By why can't parts of the that transformation manifest in a different way? We already have racial forms.
    To retain some racial identity, because some fragments of the original body are still left when transforming, possibly why Worgen can also be bipedal despite wolves walking on 4 legs, because night elves / humans are bipedal beings.

Why can't a gnome racial form be more "robotic" when we have apparently self propagating wild robots now. If they can't self propagate I wonder who is building them all.
    Because there is no robot god / spirit in Warcraft, every robot in Warcraft was artificially created by some engineer.

Druids are about living beings, robots aren't alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Psykho View Post
    But what about if you were a Faceless or a Nathrezim, I feel like the elements would try to flipping murder you if you got close
    Elements probably wouldn't mind aiding people like Lothraxion if he could talk to the Elements.

Issue is Nathrezim and Faceless ones are inheritly evil, if you somehow purge that evil, they could probably become Shaman but since 99.9% of those races are evil, the elements refuse to listen to them.

It's not about race, it's about intention, Gul'dan short has shown that pretty well.