Is moonkin just bad?

Middle of TOS I decided to make a moonkin alt, my main is an affliction warlock. I figured a lot of what I know about playing affliction would carry over to moonkin.

I have fairly little problem getting 95+ percentile on my warlock in mythic antorus, and I had no problem doing it in ToS. So I wouldn't really consider myself bad at the game.

But my numbers suck on my moonkin right now and I just don't get it. The rotation seems absurdly easy but my numbers are still just pretty low. I told myself it was legendaries but the only one I'm really missing now is oneth's intuition and I don't see how that would make up for the deficit.

For example, on gorothi, my moonkin seems to cap out at about 1.5 or 1.6 million, which is about what I sim at. My warlock has no problem breaking 2 million.

Is it just secondary stat scaling? I noticed when I compared stat weights my warlock gains about 50 dps per secondary stat and my moonkin gains 26.
    Last edited by asil; 2018-01-15 at 11:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by asil View Post
    Middle of TOS I decided to make a moonkin alt, my main is an affliction warlock. I figured a lot of what I know about playing affliction would carry over to moonkin.

I have fairly little problem getting 95+ percentile on my warlock in mythic antorus, and I had no problem doing it in ToS. So I wouldn't really consider myself bad at the game.

But my numbers suck on my moonkin right now and I just don't get it. The rotation seems absurdly easy but my numbers are still just pretty low. I told myself it was legendaries but the only one I'm really missing now is oneth's intuition and I don't see how that would make up for the deficit.

For example, on gorothi, my moonkin seems to cap out at about 1.5 or 1.6 million, which is about what I sim at. My warlock has no problem breaking 2 million.

Is it just secondary stat scaling? I noticed when I compared stat weights my warlock gains about 50 dps per secondary stat and my moonkin gains 26.

RNG, movement, Padding.

good luck getting 95% on any fight with more then 1 mob.

ST moonkin is middle of the pack at best, and to even try to compare to a warlock at this point is ridiculous.

Moonkin have always been hurt by scaling.

The problem is that virtually every high oomkin parse will be from abusing the memefire build (which Blizzard recently killed by massively nerfing the artifact trait it relied on). Because it was a straight up nerf to damage while moving and mass aoe through moonfire spam (although pure single target was unchanged due to buffs to Wrath and Lunar Strike), you'll basically never parse really well because the high parses are now unattainable.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

moonkin takes FOREVER to get rolling.

You need to cast 2 debuffs on a target and then the 3 unique artifact spells to get rolling.

In world pvp (and pvp in general) that is way too long and with all the interrupts/CC and "target needs to be in front of you" bullshiet you will be dead before you do any meaningful DPS.

In PVE you can do good on fights where targets will live a long time, but anything that is less than 30 seconds and you are just not all that useful.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bottom lining this, you're comparing single target damage for a decent but underwhelming spec (Balance) to the most OP spec in the game at this point (Affliction). Balance AOE is better (so, fights like High Command, etc) but on a pure ST fight? You're never going to parse like your lock assuming same skill and gear. I mean...

All Antorus bosses: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/statistics/17/

Garothi only: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/statistics/17/#boss=2076

That's the issue. Affliction is stupidly OP and if you just want to do the best ranged DPS you can, you should play the lock.
    Last edited by clevin; 2018-01-15 at 11:57 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Bottom lining this, you're comparing single target damage for a decent but underwhelming spec (Balance) to the most OP spec in the game at this point (Affliction). Balance AOE is better (so, fights like High Command, etc) but on a pure ST fight? You're never going to parse like your lock assuming same skill and gear. I mean...

All Antorus bosses: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/statistics/17/

Garothi only: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/statistics/17/#boss=2076

That's the issue. Affliction is stupidly OP and if you just want to do the best ranged DPS you can, you should play the lock.
    Lock parses are against lock and balance parses are against balance. But I guess you couldn't hold back that OP Lock rant.

Um, you do know parses are based on everyone else of the same spec, right? You could be #1 Balance Druid parse at 1M DPS and an Arms Warrior could be #2000 at 2M DPS for example.

Your lack of getting orange parses means you're not doing well enough to get orange parses and has nothing to do with the class/spec, since everyone else of that same spec is what you're up against, not Warlocks and shit.

As for the original title question (which again has NOTHING to do with your lack of high parses), in some ways, yes. We're shit at ST, shit at immediate burst AoE, but we absolutely dominate persistent AoE, but granted, so does Affliction, while also being decent at Burst AoE (Soul Fire) and ST. As it stands, Affliction at the moment is by far FOTM/just very OP compared to other specs through no fault of its own, it just happened to be there.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Having good parses as balance requires you to use or NOT use AP properly and for single target is highly reliant on good OI procs. Also as mentioned memefire build got gutted so good luck on fights that it was strong on.

Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    Um, you do know parses are based on everyone else of the same spec, right? You could be #1 Balance Druid parse at 1M DPS and an Arms Warrior could be #2000 at 2M DPS for example.

Your lack of getting orange parses means you're not doing well enough to get orange parses and has nothing to do with the class/spec, since everyone else of that same spec is what you're up against, not Warlocks and shit.

As for the original title question (which again has NOTHING to do with your lack of high parses), in some ways, yes. We're shit at ST, shit at immediate burst AoE, but we absolutely dominate persistent AoE, but granted, so does Affliction, while also being decent at Burst AoE (Soul Fire) and ST. As it stands, Affliction at the moment is by far FOTM/just very OP compared to other specs through no fault of its own, it just happened to be there.
    I know how parses work, I'm not saying my overall parses are bad as moonkin, I'm saying the numbers of the class as a whole are bad.

As mentioned, my numbers are within sim - I'm more so just curious as to why moonkins are so bad in general. They aren't gold as balance for me - but they're high purple which is acceptable for an alt. I worded the OP poorly, I can see why the confusion exists.
    Last edited by asil; 2018-01-16 at 03:16 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Balance Druid isn't bad. Affliction warlocks are just too good at everything.

Logs seem to say we are bad at single target. bottom 1 or 2 specs last I looked

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by trajandreps View Post
    Lock parses are against lock and balance parses are against balance. But I guess you couldn't hold back that OP Lock rant.
    Look at the actual DPS. Balance isn't close to locks. And seriously, if you're going to whine about how affliction just sucks.... don't
    Last edited by clevin; 2018-01-16 at 03:41 AM.

Not having OI will actually have a significant impact on single target. When it comes to parses for single target, you basically need pretty good RNG procs from the bracers to really achieve a high percentile. You can perform moderately with a super lucky string of procs, but most of the high percentage parses come with luck for balance. Not having the bracers at all means your likely not going to achieve high numbers, especially compared to the very strong Affliction Lock.

Boomy ST parses are a mixture of minor RNG and movement management.

RNG:

- Number of OI procs
    - Number of Pantheon procs
    - Other misc. item procs
    - Starsurge Crit Luck

Movement:

- Plan ahead and either use SS while moving or OI procced SF
    - Hopefully dots are falling off soon if you need to move

In Heroic, I typically parse 90+ percentile on ST. The biggest factor for me seems to be kill times. I can parse Orange on Mythic Gorothi but that's because I barely do any soaking lol.

Boomkins also do pretty well with gear, I don't know how similarly geared your Boomkin is compared to your Lock (which also scales well)

as a newbie on my lvl 55 druid, can someone please share the rotation in balance please.