Page 1 of 2
LastLast

'Faking' the Trinity?

Waiting on a tank or healer in LFG .. So why can't we 'fake 'the role with stats/templates? Not saying make the trinity completely irrelevant, rather if a specific role is not available after X min, allow a DPS specs to tank and heal?

This would need the DPS player to opt in of course, but after that and when said player accepts and enters the group, use template to buff mitigation (and lower dmg?) Same goes for a DPS class with healing, template the hell out of it so it can heal?

I might be using wrong 'words' to describe the idea though I hope at least it came across clearly?

Because it's easier to balance encounters around very specific roles instead of trying to tune it to a thousand mishmash hybrids.

Quote Originally Posted by Cempa View Post
    Waiting on a tank or healer in LFG .. So why can't we 'fake 'the role with stats/templates? Not saying make the trinity completely irrelevant, rather if a specific role is not available after X min, allow a DPS specs to tank and heal?

This would need the DPS player to opt in of course, but after that and when said player accepts and enters the group, use template to buff mitigation (and lower dmg?) Same goes for a DPS class with healing, template the hell out of it so it can heal?

I might be using wrong 'words' to describe the idea though I hope at least it came across clearly?
    and how exactly will a rogue or warrior be healing? Can't just "template the hell out of it"

Game mechanics wise, if your character can tank and heal more than you can take damage while even dealing a small amount of damage, players will abuse that and endure the hours trying to kill off the boss. This is no fun for the players as a whole (even if he gets the epics).

But I see what you're saying, if you just want to solve scarity of tanks/healer characters I'm sure they could allow offspecs to jump into other roles.

Dev for NEO Impossible Bosses, an RTS-MOBA Raidboss rush game!

I mean, if people wanted to play as tanks and healers in LFG there wouldn't be a shortage of tanks and healers in LFG.
    Last edited by Dispraise; 2018-01-16 at 08:01 AM.
    The reports of my death were surprisingly well-sourced and accurate.

I always felt like they should do 6-7man dungeons with 1 tank 1 heal 4-5 dps... Would help dps queue times.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispraise View Post
    I mean, if people wanted to play as tanks and healers there wouldn't be a shortage of tanks and healers.
    There isn't tho. Just they don't want to bother with the toxicity of LFG/R.

LFG/R players played themselves.

5+ Year Old Account
    I mean, if people wanted to play as tanks and healers there wouldn't be a shortage of tanks and healers.
    That's a myth. There is no shortage of tanks and healers. What there is a shortage of tanks and healers willing to put up with the pain that is pugging. If pugs didn't treat tanks and healers like they are the dog shit that they scrape of their boots more tanks and healers wouldn't restrict themselves to running with guild/friends groups that are actually fun.

Ever notice how that scarcity started again when they removed anything from the bribe bags worth having?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tkioz View Post
    That's a myth. There is no shortage of tanks and healers. What there is a shortage of tanks and healers willing to put up with the pain that is pugging. If pugs didn't treat tanks and healers like they are the dog shit that they scrape of their boots more tanks and healers wouldn't restrict themselves to running with guild/friends groups that are actually fun.
    but since we are only in for the ride because of a quick dungeon you plough through, the tank doesn't and shouldn't give a shit about the three dps. he is equally arrogant and lets them die with a „lol noob dps“ as much as a crappy melee runs in front of a tank and pulls.

for heroics and myth normal, let people join quicker and with maybe more dps.
    From Ancient Terra the Emperor commands His Proud Sons.
    From revered Blood-stock these Warriors are made His Proud Sons.
    No fear they shall know as Adeptus Astartes, His Proud Sons.

does your irrational hatred for the LFR make you feel elite?

yeah, LFR should be renamed looking for retards! AHAHAHAHAHA! i'are cool rite dude? skilled and stuff, me good deeh peeh esh!

why would only specific roles avoid LFR? if anything being a tank/healer gets you almost instant entry while being a DPS means there's some waiting involved, not to mention the extra rewards you sometimes get, you have extra motive to tank/heal LFR and dungeons yet people still don't do it

the majority of people want to play as DPS and especially later in the night finding tanks/healers can be problematic and i agree that if something was done about it the overall experience would be better for all of us (like less waiting more playing)

Quote Originally Posted by tkioz View Post
    What there is a shortage of tanks and healers willing to put up with the pain that is pugging.
    That's exactly what I meant. Shoulda been more specific, I guess.

Used to main a healer. Now you couldn't pay me to heal a pug.

This would need the DPS player to opt in of course, but after that and when said player accepts and enters the group
    This already exists when you choose roles when you sign up.

Anyone blaming LFG/LFR (again) for tank/healer shortages is a fucking imbecile. That's been happening since vanilla, who can forget being forced to ask for a tank for 2 hours? At least now you can do your business while waiting, you miserable ungrateful bitches. If LFG would disappear tomorrow you'd be in a world of real pain.

You don't like the situation? Find a fucking guild and stop bitching

main reason for lack of tanks and healers, is how badly they get treated outside of guilds, if there still learning the game,

and with changes made some just gave up tanking/healing,

more are leaving then moving into them.
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler

If you are trying to AE tank and a bad dps is attacking the wrong target and dies, we call that justice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because a DPS isn't a Tank, or a healer. Just because you can doesn't always mean you're good enough.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Plenty of people want to, and do, play as them. They just don't want to be bothered with the douchebags that tend to crop up in LFR/LFD.

Less than an hour ago I healed mythic MoS, and an ELE shaman insta-died from standing in Helya's "I will drown you all like rats!" breath weapon. As sure as the sun rises, he blurts out "wtf healer... do ur fuckin job" - I replied "my job isn't to heal morons that stand in bad shit."

This was a run which had 0 deaths, 0 close calls, etc otherwise. But nope, he takes 6+ million, fully-avoidable damage in the face and somehow I'm not doing my job.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Easy solution. Make 5 mans 6 mans. tank/healer/4xdps
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    They just don't want to be bothered with the douchebags that tend to crop up in LFR/LFD.
    Yeah, I'm talking about in LFR/LFD. Shoulda been more clear in my first post. Fixed.

I understand the woes. Used to main a healer, as that's my preferred archetype in games. I just mean I don't see the suggestion of letting DPS specs opt-in as tanks and healers being too beneficial when the people who have experience tanking and healing don't want to touch LFR/LFD with a ten foot pole.

That's exactly what I meant. Shoulda been more specific, I guess.

Used to main a healer. Now you couldn't pay me to heal a pug.
    I generally level alts as healers in LFG. It is quick, but such a pain in the ass that now I only do it in content I already outgear with heirlooms.