Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Pushing it into the House will force people to vote for or against it, allowing the Democrats to hold it against them in the elections.
    Now that would be very useful.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Now that would be very useful.
    Not really, it'll just be "the evil Democrats tried to force unneeded regulation un your internets! But we stopped them!" and the (R) voters will gobble it up.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Not really, it'll just be "the evil Democrats tried to force unneeded regulation un your internets! But we stopped them!" and the (R) voters will gobble it up.
    It's not the (R) voters that need to be swayed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    The whole reason we have the FCC and other regulatory bodies, empowered by Congress, is because they can move faster than Congress on issues that need immediate results, and they can be staffed by people that are specifically knowledgable in the domains that they regulate. We'd have even more disfunction, at an exponential rate, if we left this stuff only to Congress.

And as for your later mentioning of internet and networking... the people who invented the thing and the people who know the most in the world about networking say net neutrality is a foundational requirement for the internet to function correctly and as it was intended. Hell, if anyone said net neutrality should be left to corporations during the internet's inception, they never would have expanded beyond ARPA/DARPA and NSFnet (the early internet disallowed corporate involvement in the backbone for this very reason, in fact).
    You can talk all the shit you want about Al Gore’s comments on inventing the internet, but this is exactly what he meant. If ISPs did this in the 90s, there would be no Netflix or proliferation of online gaming. It would still exist in some form, but it wouldn’t be based or focused on the American consumer. How would eBay or amazon compete, when you can finish shopping at Walmart, by the time those sites load.

If you recently got a 4K TV, you should be concerned with the future of your streaming options. The sort of data pull you need, will probably require an extra fee... which would discourage places like Netflix to run the content, since the already limited user base, will get further limited.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    I think it will bring out more voters on the (D) side, and push [some] (R)'s to more accountability. It won't be huge, but it will be another arrow in the quill that is used to take the government back.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    You can talk all the shit you want about Al Gore’s comments on inventing the internet, but this is exactly what he meant. If ISPs did this in the 90s, there would be no Netflix or proliferation of online gaming. It would still exist in some form, but it wouldn’t be based or focused on the American consumer. How would eBay or amazon compete, when you can finish shopping at Walmart, by the time those sites load.

If you recently got a 4K TV, you should be concerned with the future of your streaming options. The sort of data pull you need, will probably require an extra fee... which would discourage places like Netflix to run the content, since the already limited user base, will get further limited.
    I love how many groups of people still get the Al Gore quote wrong. Still cracks me up. Well, it used to, until willful ignorance became a voting platform.

Politically it is good I guess to show that Republicans are the ones who at first repeal NN then voted not to overrule. I guess now we will need to convince the Republican supporter is wondering why he has to pay more to stream a competitor or maybe some liberal website decides to throttle Alex Jones. Somehow they will still blame Dems.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydin View Post
    This is good news. Under the Congressional Review Act, it takes just a simple majority to overrule a federal regulation enacted in the past 60 days and Chuck Schumer says there are now fifty votes in the Senate to do just that, meaning they need to flip just one more Republican to undo the damage the corporate stooge running the FCC did last month.

Democrats are also vowing to make net neutrality a campaign issue, one I imagine vulnerable Republicans don't want to be dealing with with the fat albatross named Donald Trump shackled to their ankles this year given how popular net neutrality is in polling.
    Good! it boggles my mind why this is even an issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Good! it boggles my mind why this is even an issue.
    Bad education on the part of independent voters regarding the practices of American telecoms companies?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Bad education on the part of independent voters regarding the practices of American telecoms companies?
    Terrible dig and like most of your post, didn't make any sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalkinDude View Post
    Fantastic. What degrees do you have in CS and where did you get your JD?
    I do enjoy when you demonstrate how reasonable you are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    It's not the (R) voters that need to be swayed.
    This, pushing the independant voters is what this will hopefully do.
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!

10+ Year Old Account
    It’s a bullshit answer. “I read an article on salon, so my opinion is just as valid as the CTO for Netflix”. When in reality most of you couldn’t turn on a port on a switch at the command prompt. A bunch of fear mongering and hypothesis on a dystopian future. People are for net neutrality. Have congress pas a law the way the constitution was designed.
    Asking for justification for why your opinion should be considered is fine. Demanding a portfolio of degrees, many of which are more advanced that required for the topic at hand, is not.

You don't need a PhD to have a valid opinion on drug pricing. You don't need to be a four star general to have a valid opinion on the military. And you don't need a JD to have a valid opinion on a legal topic.

You just need something to justify it.

You forget how gerrymandering works. The goal is to win by small margins.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fantastic. What degrees do you have in CS and where did you get your JD?
    I’m not sure how testing my ability to google, helps your point.

- - - Updated - - -

It’s a bullshit answer. “I read an article on salon, so my opinion is just as valid as the CTO for Netflix”. When in reality most of you couldn’t turn on a port on a switch at the command prompt. A bunch of fear mongering and hypothesis on a dystopian future. People are for net neutrality. Have congress pas a law the way the constitution was designed.
    I’ve posted that I’m a lead engineer in IT, before you ever asked the question. The law was already passed, it got reversed under Trump and this thread is literally talking about Senate having 50 votes. What exactly is your point?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

I don’t disagree with you. But the FCC isn’t there to create new laws. That’s the responsibility of congress. There is wide support for net neutrality. So a member of the house should draft a bill that establishes neutrality and empowers the FCC to enforce it. We’re not the EU. I don’t know what technical qualifications the current FCC has.
    From the FCC itself (linky): An independent U.S. government agency overseen by Congress, the commission is the United States' primary authority for communications law, regulation and technological innovation.

You have an opinion. Do you know anything about network topography and infrastructure? Commerce law? 1st amendment?
    Are you that thick? You know you just agreed with my point right

What gave you the impression that the avg politicians who get elected by popular vote know anything about the fields they vote for? Maybe you think that bringing a snowball to disprove climate change is sound science but actual scientist probably cried that day (mix of sadness and pleasure)

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/02/26/po...nge/index.html

If you asked the stupidest person in Congress louie gohmert, I would be surprised if he could count to 10 let alone make decisions on infrastructure for example.

So what qualifies the current FCC board? Other than Obama’s using them to pass his version of net neutrality because he couldn’t work with Congress, what qualifications do they have?

Congress should create a law. If they can’t do it, why on god’s Earth would I care what some yokels on a gaming forum say? Half of you have fan fiction on fucking WoW characters.
    Being actually knowledgeable about regulations and effects on the market and for the consumer

Just because you do not agree with the decision certain individuals made (the idiot Ajit Pai )that does not make them less qualified. At least with the current idiot in control of the FCC people know that his decision stems from his dishonesty and not because of stupidity. He is just a troll and a really bad person who put the intrest of businesses ahead of the consumer.

Do you really want louie gohmert to decide on anything?

Quote Originally Posted by BlackMage66652 View Post
    Dear Odin,

Please give one Republican a brain for a moment and join the fuck train against the asshole running the FCC.

Forever in Your Service,
    BlackMage66652
    Is it really fair to ask him to fix more of our problems after all he did for us re: ice giants though?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    If they can’t do it, why on god’s Earth would I care what some yokels on a gaming forum say? Half of you have fan fiction on fucking WoW characters.
    You realize you are part of the group you are insulting.

Indeed. And I’m not claiming to have a definitive answer. I’m for NN. I just think laws of this magnitude need to be handled by Congress. Not partisan appointees who change every 4 years and can make and reverse policy on a whim.
    Maybe the executive branch committees should institute regulations that take effect immediately, and have a Congressional review period, wherein they SHALL be voted on, rather than MAY be voted on?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Woods View Post
    LOL never change guys. I guess you won't because conservatism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I do care what people on this forum think of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This site is amazing. It's comments like this, that make this site amazing.