Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Keyboard Turner
    5+ Year Old Account

Lot of content for a patch no?

So I've been playing WoW for about 9 years now and love the game, but something dawned on me today and I'm curious what others think. Obviously this is being pushed as a patch, but is it me or does it seem like a lot to be considered a "patch". I come from a software development background (not game development mind you) so I understand semantic versioning. I just feel like it's an awful lot to be considered a patch. I mean, leveling has changed, and aren't we going to see the Silithus wound? That's story line addition (which could technically be lumped into the last wing of LFR opening up).

Not that any of this actually matters, just curious what others think.

Hearing the opposite mostly from players with an endgame focus, but yeah, the new leveling system is intended to tide players over during this long downtime in between raid tiers

Keyboard Turner
    5+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, that makes sense. I didn't look at it from the viewpoint of endgame.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    People won’t see it that way just like when people talk about cata they ignore the 1-60 revamp most of the time.

It is a lot and has been throughout Legion, this is actually light compared to some previous updates. The WoW playerbase is incredibly spoiled, however. I've played SWTOR for 4 years and Guild Wars 1, 2 and Rift, EVE Online and Galaxies (in the distant past), nothing ever compared to WoW in terms of content output, quality and general care and marketing of the franchise.
    Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    Blizzard do what the players want all the time.

A patch doesn't necessarily have to introduce content. It's really just a change to the game, of which additional content happens to be one type. The introduction of near-global scaling is a pretty major patch from a game design and functionality perspective.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really, the leveling revamp is mostly just changing numbers. It's not like they went in and did some cata rework again.

Though they probably wanted to keep the leveling revamp as a expansion feature but decided to throw it in to retain subs or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpcat View Post
    It is a lot and has been throughout Legion, this is actually light compared to some previous updates. The WoW playerbase is incredibly spoiled, however. I've played SWTOR for 4 years and Guild Wars 1, 2 and Rift, EVE Online and Galaxies (in the distant past), nothing ever compared to WoW in terms of content output, quality and general care and marketing of the franchise.
    Guild Wars 2 does a pretty good job I find, even if I virtually never play.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

I do not look at this as something important (the patch). It's some leveling and dps changes.
    Only "important" thing here is Silithus story from my pov. Rest is just an onion on burger (can go with, don't mind if it's not there, I will eat it anyway)
    "Ahhh ahhhhh, ahhh, yeah, ahhhh, YEAH, YEAH, RIGHT THERE, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAhhhhhh" Jenna Jameson

Considering the servers have more downtime than when Argus was released, I'd say that alone should be a hint that the patch is actually pretty massive in terms of undertaking.

Sadly though, as pointed out, since it's not affecting the end game as much, that won't really be realized.

10+ Year Old Account
    Like most of the 7.x.5 patches it's not really there to bring content, but to add some small things like quests/story, some mechanical fixes to raids, and updates to world content. This patch really is all about the new level scaling systems they've added in game, which is great because leveling has been a mess for several years now, sure people are saying it's going to take longer to level characters but really they're simply setting the exp back similar to what it used to be before the many exp nerfs we've had.

the way I see it is it added content before the patch. So many people pushed to level toons before this patch hit because of the changes to leveling. Sure a few want it harder but the majority don't want the 12th time leveling a toon to max to take longer. They've seen it all. They don't care anymore.

Keyboard Turner
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VladimirM View Post
    I do not look at this as something important (the patch). It's some leveling and dps changes.
    Only "important" thing here is Silithus story from my pov. Rest is just an onion on burger (can go with, don't mind if it's not there, I will eat it anyway)
    Agreed, maybe I'm getting hung up on the verbiage. If you look at it as just another build the content sort of becomes background noise. Hell, no complaints here, more content means more /played for me

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpcat View Post
    Asheron's Call pumped out content far more...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gradian View Post
    Agreed, maybe I'm getting hung up on the verbiage. If you look at it as just another build the content sort of becomes background noise. Hell, no complaints here, more content means more /played for me
    Another build is still a patch when you release that new build. I don't see why you even think a patch can't have a lot of content to still be considered a patch.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

I'm gravely disappointed by 7.3.5. The leveling changes are massive, but why would i level a new char now when we already KNOW that 8.0 will bring 6 new races to level if you want to unlock stuff? How many players are actually looking forward to leveling more than 6 toons this year? I mean, sure, there are "some"....but is it a reasonable percentage of players? I would say no.

7.3.5 would have been fine if the first 4 allied races unlocked as a preorder bonus alongside....without it...this patch is just as empty as the infamous S.E.L.F.I.E patch of WoD. I get a minor upgrade to the legendary system that could have just as well been done via hotfix....and an incredible short story-arc in silithus leading up to a BG i could not care less about. I guess the BG will entertain some players.

So far in Legion 7.x.5 patches were MASSIVE balancing patches with pages of class changes. I like that stuff. So for me 7.3.5 is very, very disappointing and i won't see any of the leveling stuff before BFA prepatch, it seems.

So I've been playing WoW for about 9 years now and love the game, but something dawned on me today and I'm curious what others think. Obviously this is being pushed as a patch, but is it me or does it seem like a lot to be considered a "patch". I come from a software development background (not game development mind you) so I understand semantic versioning. I just feel like it's an awful lot to be considered a patch. I mean, leveling has changed, and aren't we going to see the Silithus wound? That's story line addition (which could technically be lumped into the last wing of LFR opening up).

The part where enemies level up along with you was already introduced in Legion, so patching the rest of the content with it shouldn't be hard, considering they already have a working version of that.

Changing how enemies get stronger with respect to levels and how much experience you need with respect to quests is something Blizzard should be very familiar with.

Maybe coding all those leveling changes is not as simple as it seems, but Blizzard has the expertise.

Adding a few quests to continue a story is also something fairly simple for Blizzard to do. The artwork was probably more of a pain, and a lot of it was already done from the previous patch.

So, no I don't think it's a lot of content for a patch. I think most of their efforts are working on the next expansion. Leveling and endquests of Legion are clearly high priorities concerning moving into the next expansion.

Yes this is easily the most content we have ever gotten from a non-raid tier patch.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Its shallow no matter what your calling it.

Why did you feel the need to create a new account to write this thread?