Beta Key Giveaway Week 2: Winners have been selected!

Thread: New California

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ...
2
10
11
12
  1. #221
    Lego Moderator GothamCity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Gotham
    Posts
    3,452
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommys View Post
    That's a clever way to do it, except some states already have laws invalidating and making it illegal to cast an "improper" vote. Would these state laws stand up in court? Probably not.
    The pact provides a provision, making it illegal to cast a vote deviating from the popular vote of the country!
    "Okay, Robin. Together, we're gonna punch these guys so hard, words describing the impact are gonna spontaneously materialize out of thin air."
    - Lego Batman

  2. #222
    Man these idiots constantly calling for California to be split up are a bunch of freaking idiots. This supposed split they are asking for here could never support itself and would fall into the same place as most deep red states, poor as fuck surviving purely on the Federal Government.

  3. #223
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Sure but that was 2007; before it was proven through three consecutive presidential elections that republicans can't win over the majority of voters.

    While it's only speculation, I'd guess it's fairly safe to that republicans have suddenly "come around" to the electoral college... because it's the only way they've been able to secure the presidency in the last decade.
    Yeah, I suppose that's true. The republicans weren't the most important part anyway. Even if all of them in that poll were against it, the majority was still in support. They aren't losing the popular vote by a huge amount or anything and there are plenty of republicans in states like New York and California who just likely don't vote but would if popular vote mattered. Of course that's true for all demographics but it's hard to say how things would go if people didn't have the "my vote doesn't matter" mindset like they do now.

  4. #224
    The Insane Sky High's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    D.C. Area
    Posts
    16,722
    Quote Originally Posted by Moshots View Post
    Goodbye Cali will be nice to never have another democratic win the popular vote with +4 million votes from 1 state...
    Yeah too bad they still left the far more populated areas in one proposed state. This is as likely to happen as “north and south” California, so good luck with this Dum dums.

  5. #225
    Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    If a state isn't a swing state, it needs adjusting until it is one. Only way to keep everyone relevant.
    That's impractically retarded. You'd essentially have to weigh votes in such a way that 5% of the population who live in rural areas have votes as strong as the other 95% living in cities.

    There's nothing "fair" about that. Like I said, it essentially resorts to an archaic system of people who own the most land have the most power.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Tommys View Post
    That's a clever way to do it, except some states already have laws invalidating and making it illegal to cast an "improper" vote. Would these state laws stand up in court? Probably not.
    Well obviously the states passing this wouldn't have that problem. That's the entire point.

  6. #226
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    That's impractically retarded. You'd essentially have to weigh votes in such a way that 5% of the population who live in rural areas have votes as strong as the other 95% living in cities.

    There's nothing "fair" about that. Like I said, it essentially resorts to an archaic system of people who own the most land have the most power.
    The electoral college is a horribly designed way to vote in the first place. a Horrible way to provide a "Republic" when it barely even fits that description.

  7. #227
    The county I grew up in in Norcal ratified the Jefferson thing. It's totally absurd. They'd be back in ten years time, on their knees and begging to be let back in when their new developing country lifestyle set in.

  8. #228
    Quote Originally Posted by A dot Ham View Post
    Again just a little common sense here... would make building something like an aqueduct a criminal act. If the body of water is owned by the federal government, than building infrastructure that essentially STEALS that water would be illegal. Unless they had some sort of agreement with the federal government to use that water.

    Water reserves, are built with state funds and are state owned. If the land that these bodies of water are on, a suddenly no longer property of that state... it would stand to reason if they wanted access to it they would need to pay for it.

    If what you are saying is true, other states would be able to tap into neighboring states bodies of water for their own use, without the permission from the State itself, only the federal government... it doesn't work like that.

    I'd be happy to eat my words if you can find a shred of reputable and relevant evidence that suggests otherwise. Also lets be clear we aren't talking about States that share a naturally existing waterway like a river, in which borders are drawn specifically because of those natural features. You would need to find a state that is taking power, water, or gas from another State without paying directly to said State. Please... find it.
    Honestly, it probably would be against federal law in most cases. Federal rules and guidelines dictate the use of most water, and the deeds are controlled by the Department of the Interior.

  9. #229
    Ultimately, if this was a legitimate idea, it wouldn't be discussed solely as California. This nothing more than political nonsense (basically, a Republican power grab), not a serious topic of discussion. Where are the similar plans for Texas, Virginia, New York, Pennsylvania, Florida, etc, etc, etc?

    If you want a serious discussion, it needs to focus a bit more on why a minority has such strong control on our politics. Much of this has to do with general lack of knowledge of where the citizens of the US actually reside. This is one of the better maps showing that (yes, it is cartoon, and, yes, it is accurate...and you can see how the Rural California talk definitely is a Republican power grab).



    We have all this land with very few people who have *far* too much influence on the lives of the majority. And this trend will only get worse. The jobs are in cities, not the country side. Yes, we need to understand and help with the challenges of rural America, but we can't ignore and fail to help with the challenges of our major population centers in the process. I know people who live in the middle-of-nowhere America, and, by and large, they are good people...but, if anything, they are even more ignorant of the challenges of large population centers than people in big cities are of rural America.

    The solution isn't the creation of even more rural states. The solution lies somewhere completely different.

  10. #230
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Good riddance. The parts of the state that make money should not be forced to subsidize the parts that don't.

    Same reason I think no state should get any hand out from the federal government.

    Blue America has to feed Red America.
    LOL..yeah all those "blue" executives and CEO's making the cash are such evil democrats.

    Think before you type please...
    "We've never lived in a more peaceful or prosperous time since 1776." -Pre-911, MMO-Champion poster.

  11. #231
    Progressives. Let's start creating threads on the state of Austin, Houston, Atlanta and New Orleans. About as bad as these threads happen to be.
    Stay WOKE my Friends.

  12. #232
    Give me WC3 HD, Blizz! The Stormbringer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ...location, location!
    Posts
    7,347
    Quote Originally Posted by GothamCity View Post
    Yeah, I really like this idea. The current pact possesses 165 electoral votes, and another group of states, currently with an additional 149EVs, are considering the proposal this year. While a long-shot, it isn't unfeasible for the pact to be in effect for 2020, especially after the 2016 election.
    Ideally I'd just say abolish the electoral college, because there's no need for it anymore. A large percentage of the people who don't vote simply don't because they don't care to (though there are those who can't get away from work, get away from home, etc. but mail-in ballots are a thing these days).

    Avatar by Ely

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •