Page 1 of 2
LastLast

2018 Build 1080P ?

I want to make a 2018 build but my budget is not $3000 to make a 1440p 144hrz.

I am running with a my 2011 build running a 680 GC evga.

My Question is . can i make a 1080p power house with out breaking my bank ?

I am looking for the whole set up. ( Monitors included 27' -30' ) and i love RGB lights. i got all the mouse and keyboards.

Do i go with an all AMD build ?

Then do i get a freescync monitor to get the most out of my 1080p build ?

Or stick with intel ?

I only play blizzard games and now destiny. but my main game is still WoW and OW .

Can you guys suggest me a build ?

Budget around $1500 -2k if we can go lower the better. thats just the obsolute MAX budget.

Can i get a 1440p 144 build with that budget and monitor ?

is it even worth it to make a 1080p build at the point in time ?
    Last edited by MikeyThem; 2018-01-17 at 12:40 AM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    1080p, powerhouse, and 2018 don't go in the same sentence very well.

You really don't need anything from 2018 to get great performance at that resolution, not even really 2017.

What's your current build, though?

CPU, mobo, RAM, PSU, GPU, HDD/SSD, case.

$1,500-2,000 is a lot, more than most people have. You can easily have a build that's good for 1440p nowadays with that kind of money. I'm interested to know if there's any parts worthy of salvaging, first though.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

For 1080p, Intel is still your best bet over AMD. At 2k-4k, games become highly GPU-bound, and the difference between Ryzen and Intel CPU's decrease drastically. If you have no plans on doing any streaming or content creation and just want to purely game, an i5 8600k would be a really good choice for a more budget-oriented build - the i7 8700k is really great if you do end up streaming or doing any kind of content creation. If you really want to use adaptive sync technology, then I suppose an AMD gpu would be your best option as Nvidia Gsync still comes at a high premium compared to Freesync as far as monitor price goes - I have no experience with AMD gpus, so I'm not sure what to recommend.

As far as 1080p vs 1440p, it's purely based on what you find acceptable in terms of framerates and how sensitive you are to them. Games you play are also important in the decision - if you primarily play WoW and OW, I would see no reason to limit yourself to 1080p as you'll still be pushing tons of frames at 1440p with a $1500-2k build. In OW, you might have to disable a bunch of the graphic options @ 1440p if you want to be closer to the 300fps cap - and again, depending on how you perceive FPS and how sensitive you are to differences in them, it might not even matter and 1440p is the no-brainer choice for you. I personally still prefer 1080p (@240hz atm) as I mainly play competitive online games like OW and I can easily feel the difference in input lag between, say, 200 and 300 fps. I think 1440p is the way to go for the vast majority of gamers at this time.
    Last edited by Ickz; 2018-01-17 at 01:02 AM.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyThem View Post
    My Question is . can i make a 1080p power house with out breaking my bank ?
    Right now the biggest hurdle you'll have to overcome is finding a decent graphics card which isn't suffering from HUGE markup providing you're able to find any at all. RAM is pretty damn ridiculous right now too.

Like, I could turn around and sell my (used) 290x and 16GB of DDR4 for way more than I paid over a year ago. It's awful.

We're also in a weird spot all around. Zen+ and the new (ugh) Z390 platform are just around the corner and Pascal is slowly nearing its end of shelf life. AMD? May as well forget they make graphic cards.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2018-01-17 at 01:04 AM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    1080p, powerhouse, and 2018 don't go in the same sentence very well.

You really don't need anything from 2018 to get great performance at that resolution, not even really 2017.

What's your current build, though?

CPU, mobo, RAM, PSU, GPU, HDD/SSD, case.

$1,500-2,000 is a lot, more than most people have. You can easily have a build that's good for 1440p nowadays with that kind of money. I'm interested to know if there's any parts worthy of salvaging, first though.
    i5-3570k @ 3.40
    8 GB of ram ( 2 sticks of 4 )
    64-bit Windows 7
    SabertoothZ77 mobo ( Asus )
    Corsair 750w PSU
    EVGA 680
    124 SSD M4 Crucial SSD
    2 1TB HDD
    Corsair mid tower forgot the name.
    and using a H100 radiator cooling.
    All that from 2011.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ickz View Post
    For 1080p, Intel is still your best bet over AMD. At 2k-4k, games become highly GPU-bound, and the difference between Ryzen and Intel CPU's decrease drastically. If you have no plans on doing any streaming or content creation and just want to purely game, an i5 8600k would be a really good choice for a more budget-oriented build - the i7 8700k is really great if you do end up streaming or doing any kind of content creation. If you really want to use adaptive sync technology, then I suppose an AMD gpu would be your best option as Nvidia Gsync still comes at a high premium compared to Freesync as far as monitor price goes - I have no experience with AMD gpus, so I'm not sure what to recommend.

As far as 1080p vs 1440p, it's purely based on what you find acceptable in terms of framerates and how sensitive you are to them. Games you play are also important in the decision - if you primarily play WoW and OW, I would see no reason to limit yourself to 1080p as you'll still be pushing tons of frames at 1440p with a $1500-2k build. In OW, you might have to disable a bunch of the graphic options @ 1440p if you want to be closer to the 300fps cap - and again, depending on how you perceive FPS and how sensitive you are to differences in them, it might not even matter and 1440p is the no-brainer choice for you. I personally still prefer 1080p (@240hz atm) as I mainly play competitive online games like OW and I can easily feel the difference in input lag between, say, 200 and 300 fps. I think 1440p is the way to go for the vast majority of gamers at this time.
    I play OW with friends. i mainly play WoW. Destiny with friends and Some big names tittles games nothing fancy.
    i was thinkin 1080p so i can push does high refresh rates at a cheaper price.

i would love to have 1440p build! but i think it would go up in price so much.

I have recently upgraded my rig (more like replaced it), i've paid 1780 bucks for a full rig minus the hard disks and the wlan card.
    This price contained an Aerocool tower, a z370 Killer SLI mobo, an i5-8600k with a coolermaster liquid cooler, 16 gigs of ddr4-3000, a 750W corsair PSU and a Gainward 1080 Phoenix GLH edition. Living in a country that has enormous overprices on any kind of PC part i can safely say that you'll be able to get the needed replacements in that price range.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're build is honestly fine for 1440p. Just upgrade the video card. I'd recommend a bigger SSD too, but that's not really contingent.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll go with the same recommendation I do for everyone: Just don't buy or plan a new computer right now unless you absolutely have to.

GPU's of any kind above GTX 1050 are very hard to find in stock anywhere and ridiculously overpriced due to cryptocurrency mining boom. DDR4 memory continues to get more and more expensive and is now 3x more expensive than it was in 2016 because of....well.. likely price fixing at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    I'll go with the same recommendation I do for everyone: Just don't buy or plan a new computer right now unless you absolutely have to.

GPU's of any kind above GTX 1050 are very hard to find in stock anywhere and ridiculously overpriced due to cryptocurrency mining boom. DDR4 memory continues to get more and more expensive and is now 3x more expensive than it was in 2016 because of....well.. likely price fixing at this point.
    Well today i went to Best Buy and found a EVGA 1070ti for $662 + 11.5% tax. Good buy ? i saw the same card online for 999

- - - Updated - - -

Well today i went to Best Buy and found a EVGA 1070ti for $662 + 11.5% tax. Good buy ? i saw the same card online for 999
    Also found at Cotsco an LG Wide screen monitor

34" Widescreen Full HD IPS Display. Resolution-2560x1080
    21:9 Aspect Ratio and Refresh Rate:75Hz
    1ms Motion Blur Reduction
    AMD Free Sync
    Height Adjustable Stand
    HDMI :Yes (ver1.4), Display Port : Yes(1.2), USB-C : Yes (DP Alt. Mode)

For $279.

i mean its not 144hz and 1440p but a good 1080p monitor ????

10+ Year Old Account
    34" at 2560x1080 (not 1080p) is probably going to look very meh, especially if its a gaming monitor.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Good buy? No, not really. The 1070 TI is ~450$ at MSRP, aftermarket version is a little bit more expensive but that card is still atleast 150$ more expensive than it should be. Hell, I can find that card over here for the equivalent of 640$ including tax, and Finland is generally a fair bit more expensive than the US when it comes to computer hardware.

That online price is just lol.

I guess but thats the only option right now for me. The online prices are insane...

- - - Updated - - -

sorry for my ignorance but FHD is 1080p correct ? thats what the monitor says

10+ Year Old Account
    sorry for my ignorance but FHD is 1080p correct ? thats what the monitor says
    Yes and no.

1080p is FHD is 1920x1080.

That monitor is none of those, its wider at 2560x1080 (which doesnt have a specific name). If it says its FHD, its basically saying "lol just put all the marketing stickers on it, people at costco aren't going to care its actual specs"

Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post
    AMD? May as well forget they make graphic cards.
    Freesync is hundreds of dollars cheaper than Gsync. It's arguably better to choose AMD in a pinch.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelathos View Post
    Freesync is hundreds of dollars cheaper than Gsync. It's arguably better to choose AMD in a pinch.
    In theory, you're right. In practice, shit is out of control especially with AMD cards.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelathos View Post
    Freesync doesnt work ar all framerates, though. Particuarly, it often only works above 45-48fps, which really makes it questionably useful to me, as the best use for it is to mitigate low framerates or framerate spikes.

Well one of my Ram Sticks Just Died. now using 4GB. So i need to buy new Ram.

Need a new GPU. would upgrading to 1060 from a 680 would do the trick with WoW ? found it currently at $334.

Thats the game i played the most . i can salvage my 750w porwer Suply but thats about it . everything else has to be new.

i can keep using Windows 7.

Like a said a build that would run me WoW at Ultra 60fps + on raids and open world. Thats my everyday in WoW. So

and for now i can keep using my 2 23' monitors

Also would it be wise to spend the $259 on the new 8thgen intel i5 for wow ?
    and what kinda speed would i be looking at now for Dram for wow?
    my currently ones are ( G-Skill DDR3-1600 CL 8-8-8-24 1.50V 2X4GB) well now one stick lmao
    Last edited by MikeyThem; 2018-01-19 at 04:28 PM.

1060 is good for setting 6-7, pretty much the same as an overclocked 970. For full ultra (setting 10 everything is maxed) at a 1070 is needed imo.
    The new i5 is an excellent buy (i5-8600k), it has a turbo of 4.2 ghz if i remember correctly, and with a decent aftermarket cooler you can easily OC it to 4.5 ghz, which is huge for wow.
    Mine is at 4.6 ghz at the moment, and never going over 55 celsius (tested with a 8K video, all cores running at 95%+) , given that i have a coolermaster liquid cooler on it, but with a quality standard cooler it wouldnt go over 70-75 celsius either, and thats good enough.
    Piece of advice: be VERY careful buying any VGA from sites like Ebay, etc. 1080 TIs are getting sold for 260 bucks atm, advertised as new and unopened, but the reality is that they were used for cryptomining and has been re-sealed, so very risky to buy and use it even for that low price.

Wait it out a few weeks to a month. Graphics card supply is terrible due to crypto mining. Prices are all out of wack.

Quote Originally Posted by Puzzony View Post
    1060 is good for setting 6-7, pretty much the same as an overclocked 970. For full ultra (setting 10 everything is maxed) at a 1070 is needed imo.
    Literally not a single one of the settings that are adjusted by going from 7 to 10 impact the GPU. they are ALL CPU dependent settings. I had a 970 before going to a 1080 (and then a 1080Ti when i passed the 1080 to my wife for her new build) and the 970 was capable of maxing out all the GPU dependent settings with no performance hit at 1080 and only a small one at 4k (via Render Scale). WoW is NOT that GPU dependent. You can almost max all the GPU dependent settings on a 1050Ti.

The new i5 is an excellent buy (i5-8600k), it has a turbo of 4.2 ghz if i remember correctly, and with a decent aftermarket cooler you can easily OC it to 4.5 ghz, which is huge for wow.
    I had my 8600k at 4.8 @ 1.2v on a 30$ Cryorig H7 during "does this work" testing, at sub 60c even under synthetic load. Unless you get a "bad luck" chip in the silicon lottery and have to push over 1.3v to OC, you dont even need (what people around here consider) a "good" aftermarket cooler. Mind you, i consider "good" anything that performs well and have nothing but good things to say about the H7 and the more expensive (RGB) H7 Quad Lumi. My wifes rig has a 6600K (which ran quite a bit hotter than Coffee Lake) and i put the H7 Quad Lumi in there for her and its keeping everything stable at 4.6Ghz @ 1.29v and under 70c under full stress.

Mine is at 4.6 ghz at the moment, and never going over 55 celsius (tested with a 8K video, all cores running at 95%+) , given that i have a coolermaster liquid cooler on it, but with a quality standard cooler it wouldnt go over 70-75 celsius either, and thats good enough.
    Piece of advice: be VERY careful buying any VGA from sites like Ebay, etc. 1080 TIs are getting sold for 260 bucks atm, advertised as new and unopened, but the reality is that they were used for cryptomining and has been re-sealed, so very risky to buy and use it even for that low price.
    Yeah, GPUs are a nightmare right now. If i were building new, i'd just get a 1050 for MSRP (even in an otherwise super-high-end rig) and wait for prices to come down. Then you'd have a spare GPU in case of issues.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Yes and no.

1080p is FHD is 1920x1080.

That monitor is none of those, its wider at 2560x1080 (which doesnt have a specific name). If it says its FHD, its basically saying "lol just put all the marketing stickers on it, people at costco aren't going to care its actual specs"
    Actually, 21:9 gets a “w” appended to the front.

2560x1080 is wFHD (and it IS correct to call it 1080p, as that is still the picture height)
    3440x1440 is wQHD (and can still be correctly called 1440p)

For clarity, most monitor makers will use the actual full resolution number or (more commonly) the wFHD or wQHD monikers.