Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Literally not a single one of the settings that are adjusted by going from 7 to 10 impact the GPU. they are ALL CPU dependent settings. I had a 970 before going to a 1080 (and then a 1080Ti when i passed the 1080 to my wife for her new build) and the 970 was capable of maxing out all the GPU dependent settings with no performance hit at 1080 and only a small one at 4k (via Render Scale). WoW is NOT that GPU dependent. You can almost max all the GPU dependent settings on a 1050Ti.

I had my 8600k at 4.8 @ 1.2v on a 30$ Cryorig H7 during "does this work" testing, at sub 60c even under synthetic load. Unless you get a "bad luck" chip in the silicon lottery and have to push over 1.3v to OC, you dont even need (what people around here consider) a "good" aftermarket cooler. Mind you, i consider "good" anything that performs well and have nothing but good things to say about the H7 and the more expensive (RGB) H7 Quad Lumi. My wifes rig has a 6600K (which ran quite a bit hotter than Coffee Lake) and i put the H7 Quad Lumi in there for her and its keeping everything stable at 4.6Ghz @ 1.29v and under 70c under full stress.

Yeah, GPUs are a nightmare right now. If i were building new, i'd just get a 1050 for MSRP (even in an otherwise super-high-end rig) and wait for prices to come down. Then you'd have a spare GPU in case of issues.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, 21:9 gets a “w” appended to the front.

2560x1080 is wFHD (and it IS correct to call it 1080p, as that is still the picture height)
    3440x1440 is wQHD (and can still be correctly called 1440p)

For clarity, most monitor makers will use the actual full resolution number or (more commonly) the wFHD or wQHD monikers.
    So a 1050ti would do the trick for me for WoW ? and just get the new i5 and OC ?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyThem View Post
    So a 1050ti would do the trick for me for WoW ? and just get the new i5 and OC ?
    Have you tried overclocking your current cpu?

1050ti is practically on-par with the performance of your current 680, just with much better power efficiency and somewhat higher clocks.
    Last edited by Bryntrollian; 2018-01-20 at 05:50 PM.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Illuman View Post
    Wait it out a few weeks to a month. Graphics card supply is terrible due to crypto mining. Prices are all out of wack.
    There will go way more then a month. The prices on GFX cards will only rise and rise now do to the Bitcoin price going down.

All the miners will try to do every thing they can to get as many Bitcoins as they can and sell them before the market crashes.

I just order a Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 gaming this Tuesday for 757 USD and now it cost 822 USD and it is all out of stock. I have to wait 3 weeks before i get it. I wanted a GTX 1080 ti, but the prices are INSANE on the 1080 ti right now

Most stores here in Denmark has set a limit to how many GFX cards you can buy to 2 cards per customer, because people and companies from other countries are cleaning out the Danish market right now.

My old Gigabyte GTX 1070 Windforce 2x oc, cost 610 USD now. I got it for 543 USD. from the GTX 1060 to GTX 1080 are allmost all out of stock. But it looks like the miners don't like the gtx 1060 3GB, because that card is still in stock, but cost 329 USD

The last week here in Denmark we have seen a rise in GFX card prices of 82 to 164 USD and allmost all stores are out of stock and have 3 weeks or even more then a month of delivery time. And this is not only in Denmark but all over the world. The Bitcoin miners are in panic and are cleaning out the market to try and make as much money as they can before the BIG crash

So yeah the GFX card market will not settle for the next month or two
    Last edited by pansertjald; 2018-01-20 at 06:53 PM.
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    There will go way more then a month. The prices on GFX cards will only rise and rise now do to the Bitcoin price going down.

All the miners will try to do every thing they can to get as many Bitcoins as they can and sell them before the market crashes.

I just order a Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 gaming this Tuesday for 757 USD and now it cost 822 USD and it is all out of stock. I have to wait 3 weeks before i get it. I wanted a GTX 1080 ti, but the prices are INSANE on the 1080 ti right now

Most stores here in Denmark has set a limit to how many GFX cards you can buy to 2 cards per customer, because people and companies from other countries are cleaning out the Danish market right now.

My old Gigabyte GTX 1070 Windforce 2x oc, cost 610 USD now. I got it for 543 USD. from the GTX 1060 to GTX 1080 are allmost all out of stock. But it looks like the miners don't like the gtx 1060 3GB, because that card is still in stock, but cost 329 USD

The last week here in Denmark we have seen a rise in GFX card prices of 82 to 164 USD and allmost all stores are out of stock and have 3 weeks or even more then a month of delivery time. And this is not only in Denmark but all over the world. The Bitcoin miners are in panic and are cleaning out the market to try and make as much money as they can before the BIG crash

So yeah the GFX card market will not settle for the next month or two
    The only reason the nVidia cards are so sparse right now (and therefore prices are up) is because nVidia cant just snap theirmfingers and get new cards on demand. They dont own fabs - they have to buy time with companies like Global Foundries, et al, to produce their chips (and the board partners also have to have time on those fabs to get their custom PCBs made). They cant just go to GF and be like “moar cardz nao plz”; those fabs are scheduled out down to the hour MONTHS in advance.

So even if nVidia put in a giant chip order on the very first day of a surge in demand, resupply is AT LEAST 6-8 weeks out. Only way it might get done faster is if nVidia pays another company with fab time to bow out (basically paying them to move to a later date)... and that will cause a price increase because they have to recoup that cost.

15+ Year Old Account
    The only reason the nVidia cards are so sparse right now (and therefore prices are up) is because nVidia cant just snap theirmfingers and get new cards on demand. They dont own fabs - they have to buy time with companies like Global Foundries, et al, to produce their chips (and the board partners also have to have time on those fabs to get their custom PCBs made). They cant just go to GF and be like “moar cardz nao plz”; those fabs are scheduled out down to the hour MONTHS in advance.

So even if nVidia put in a giant chip order on the very first day of a surge in demand, resupply is AT LEAST 6-8 weeks out. Only way it might get done faster is if nVidia pays another company with fab time to bow out (basically paying them to move to a later date)... and that will cause a price increase because they have to recoup that cost.
    Yes because the miners are buying all the cards, so they are in high demand and the prices rises to insane lvls because of this. Thats logic a,b,c in supply and demand. Companies can't keep of with supply and therefore the demand rises and so does the price

But that is not what my point of the post was. It was a reply to the person saying that the market would stabilize in a few weeks to a month and that's not going to happen
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

10+ Year Old Account
    1080p in 2018 lmao

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maruka View Post
    1080p in 2018 lmao
    What's wrong with that smart boy?

Dude you can make something that plays anything at insane frames pretty cheap for 1080p. I got a couple friends that aren't hardcore PC players, but sure, like to play some games. So 1080p works great for them. 600-700 bucks got them shit that pushes just about everything to the moon.

Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    Yes because the miners are buying all the cards, so they are in high demand and the prices rises to insane lvls because of this. Thats logic a,b,c in supply and demand. Companies can't keep of with supply and therefore the demand rises and so does the price

But that is not what my point of the post was. It was a reply to the person saying that the market would stabilize in a few weeks to a month and that's not going to happen
    More like six weeks; maybe eight. NVidia put in a -big- order late last year when it became clear crypto demand was not going to die down. Itll probably be the last big run of Pascal parts, with consumer Volta coming in Q2.

get the 1050 ti, overclock your current cpu. if battle for azeroth brings some amazing stuff that starts taxing cpus a little harder, consider a cpu upgrade then. for now you really wont gain much for the price of cpu+mb+ram.

if you play any more graphic intensive games, grab a 1060 .. if you can find one

15+ Year Old Account
    More like six weeks; maybe eight. NVidia put in a -big- order late last year when it became clear crypto demand was not going to die down. Itll probably be the last big run of Pascal parts, with consumer Volta coming in Q2.
    Some cards here in Denmark are allready being marked with "Can't be ordred any more"

I din't want to wait any more for the prices to go down (Wich will properly not happen), so i went with a GTX 1080, because of the INSANE prices on the 1080 ti cards.

Allmost 1000 USD for a GFX card is just way to much money in my world

Quote Originally Posted by the boar View Post
    get the 1050 ti, overclock your current cpu. if battle for azeroth brings some amazing stuff that starts taxing cpus a little harder, consider a cpu upgrade then. for now you really wont gain much for the price of cpu+mb+ram.

if you play any more graphic intensive games, grab a 1060 .. if you can find one
    yeah going to do that but i now need ram... one of my sticks just died... going to get the 1050ti for now and new ram.

i5-3570k @ 3.40
    8 GB of ram ( 2 sticks of 4 )
    64-bit Windows 7
    SabertoothZ77 mobo ( Asus )
    Corsair 750w PSU
    EVGA 680
    124 SSD M4 Crucial SSD
    2 1TB HDD
    Corsair mid tower forgot the name.
    and using a H100 radiator cooling.
    All that from 2011.

- - - Updated - - -
    With that build you really dont need an upgrade for 1080 gaming.
    save the money and wait a couple of years for the mining bubble to settle down, and for 4k gaming to become the new norm/affordable
    I've no idea what to write here.