10+ Year Old Account

Best anime/manga to live action adaptation?

I recently watched both death notes (JP) and the 3 kenshin movies which were pretty amazing.

I was disappointed with the gintama movie. They got the comedy right but the action was atrocious.

DN and kenshin were so good they are worth another re watch, the coreography in kenshin is top notch.

I disagree a bit with the ending of DN because it was quite different in the order of light and L you know whating but yeah it was still good. I was afraid to watch being a diehard fan of the manga and anime but after seeing good ratings and reviews on IMDB gave them a shot and was pleasantly surprised.

I also gave tokyo ghoul a watch and while I was disgusted at how much of a pussy kaneki was (good acting lol?), right when it started getting good the movie just ends so now I'm waiting for part 2 to even form an opinion.

Any others I've been missing out on?

10+ Year Old Account
    Well there is Oldboy of course. That's amazing (the Korean version, avoid the US version). The Lone Wolf and Cub movies are pretty good. There are a couple different live action GTO adaptations I think. I have only seen the first one and quite enjoyed it, but I watched it long before I ever read the manga or saw the anime so I cannot really say how true to the source material it was. But for me personally, I absolutely love the Liar Game live action TV series. The Japanese one in particular. The Korean one is also alright but I didn't like the casting as much and it doesn't have the slightly whimsical and silly tone the Japanese one does.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0266308/

Battle Royale High School.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    Well there is Oldboy of course. That's amazing (the Korean version, avoid the US version). The Lone Wolf and Cub movies are pretty good. There are a couple different live action GTO adaptations I think. I have only seen the first one and quite enjoyed it, but I watched it long before I ever read the manga or saw the anime so I cannot really say how true to the source material it was. But for me personally, I absolutely love the Liar Game live action TV series. The Japanese one in particular. The Korean one is also alright but I didn't like the casting as much and it doesn't have the slightly whimsical and silly tone the Japanese one does.
    yeah Oldboy is amazing I watched it years ago like 10 times, had no idea it was from a manga. Liar game looks awesome I didn't know that existed, I never watched GTO but the premise sounds funny. I always avoid american remakes, didn't watch the new Oldboy nor the new Deathnote, I'm sure both would tear apart my soul. LW&C is also new to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0266308/

Classic

10+ Year Old Account
    Didn't Kite have a live-action movie adaptation? I remember hearing someone talk positively about it, but never seen it myself.

Dragon Ball Z clearly

Wasn't there a Last Airbender movie a few years ago that had unbelievable acting, and an incredible script? Did a sequel ever get made?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    yeah Oldboy is amazing I watched it years ago like 10 times, had no idea it was from a manga. Liar game looks awesome I didn't know that existed, I never watched GTO but the premise sounds funny. I always avoid american remakes, didn't watch the new Oldboy nor the new Deathnote, I'm sure both would tear apart my soul. LW&C is also new to me.
    Liar Game is awesome. If you like mind games and logic puzzles, I highly recommend it. Some of the games and the strategies the characters come up with are quite clever. Really fun series. There are two seasons of the TV series followed by a "Final Stage" movie that wraps up the majority of the plot threads. There is also a second movie called Liar Game: Reborn that brings back the same male lead but the female lead is a new character. It's alright but not nearly as good as the rest of the series. The game involved is pretty interesting, but the new female lead is no where near as interesting as Nao, the series female lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    Didn't Kite have a live-action movie adaptation? I remember hearing someone talk positively about it, but never seen it myself.
    Yeah and it seems like it is terrible. 4.4 rating on IMDB and a 0% on RT. I actually didn't even know it actually got made. I remember a number of years ago reading about someone buying the rights to the movie but didn't hear anything after that and figured it just ended up in development hell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    I feel like the problem with anime to live action adaptations is they keep taking the most fantastical and hard to understand ones and making them into shitty movies with shit CGI instead of taking an anime story that could easily be a live action story and making it one. Some anime are so good specifically because animation let's you do things that aren't believable or feasible in live-action.
    There are actually a ton of live action adaptations based on more grounded manga series. Shoujo in particular. I think they mostly are drama TV series.
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfpackfan View Post
    Wasn't there a Last Airbender movie a few years ago that had unbelievable acting, and an incredible script? Did a sequel ever get made?
    Yep and it was terrible so no sequel was ever green-lit, thank god.

kenshin was really cool, i really enjoyed those

there is an anime based off a movie by kurosawa "seven samurai" namely dubbed.. "samurai 7"... its a bit of a stretch, bit that anime was entertaining enough

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    Oh you, I see what you did there!
    Toph saw they did there

5+ Year Old Account
    Rorouni Kenshin of course.

Although I hear Blade of Immortal was supposed to be good. Haven't checked it out yet though.

Ghost in the Shell is the only one I'm aware of, so it wins for me.

Dragonball Evolution
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd have to say the...Netflix? version of Death Note. I actually really enjoyed it. Other than that, I can't really think of many others besides Ghost in the Shell, and that was so-so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    Ghost in the Shell is the only one I'm aware of, so it wins for me.
    It wasent good, it was just not as bad as say Dragonball evolution LOL. As much as i hated ghost in the shell movie because im a fan, it was still a watchable movie at least. Most people that dont know any of the source materials probably thought, meh it looks cool.

The problem with anime movie from hollywood, is that hollywood seems to actually lack any kind of imagination so much so that their first idea adapting imaginative stuff is to make it not unique anymore. Im actually hoping Marvel movies smooth this out more and more and we can just get away from trying to turn adaptation of stuff into real life thing making it less imaginative and epic, just because it might look strange on screen. This is not even just anime stuff that suffer from this, just look at lord of the ring, sure the movies are good, but the magic is so toned down, because it wouldnt look natural, shame.
    Last edited by minteK917; 2018-01-30 at 03:46 AM.

GTO and that cant remember the name its a guy that gets some hoodlums to become baseball players.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

Do musicals count ?

I remember I enjoyed watching the Live Action of Honey & Clover back in the day, but it was a pain finding the video and subs for.

If you're willing to watch subs, there's plenty of Live Actions out there.
    Last edited by Halicia; 2018-01-30 at 10:08 PM.