Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Remote Controls (Replaced by apps on smartphones)
    Physical Media discs ( Replaced by Streaming Services)
    Keys (older buildings and vehicles will still use them but they will continue to be phased out)
    I don't want to get out my smartphone every time I want to change the channel... besides the fact my phone is usually either in the car or upstairs and the TV is downstairs... I also need to enter my pin code every time I want to use the phone, all in all replacing a remote control with a smartphone just makes things take longer
    .... I have the same issue with that "using smartphone to pay instead of your bank card" thing... I am far faster with grabbing my card out of my pocket and putting it in the terminal than having to get my phone, login, go to some app and scan something...

I agree with physical media disks.. (though I would not pay a dime extra for any so called streaming service).. my last two computers didn't have a CDROM/DVD drive anymore.. My TV is linked to my torrent download folder on my computer so I do not have to move anything to watch stuff that is downloaded...
    Last edited by Planetdune; 2018-01-24 at 01:45 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unfortunately I don't see supermarkets going anywhere ever. People will want to go and pick up their food, much like how people want to go and pick out their cloths. What will change is who works at these stores. Cheaper stores will likely have R2D2 like robots running around the store who guide consumers and stock shelves. More expensive stores will have Androids who will look human that pretty much do the same thing.

But here's what I think you'll see go the way of the dodo in 10 years.

#1 Paid parking. With the introduction to self driving cars and lack of jobs due to automation, the idea of paid parking will be dead.
    #2 Cable TV. This has been said plenty of times here before.
    #3 Retail apocalypse. A good amount of stores would have been closed down due to online shopping like Amazon and Ebay.
    #4 Pensions and social security. Though these systems would likely be replaced with UBI.
    #5 The 40 hour work week. Most people will likely work up to 30 hours per week.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    #1 Paid parking. With the introduction to self driving cars and lack of jobs due to automation, the idea of paid parking will be dead.
    I disagree here, but for slightly different reasons than self-driving; said reason being that the advent of electric cars is likely going to see a switch from 'parking fees' in the traditional sense to 'pay per charge' fees where drivers pay to charge their cars while they are parked.

What we will see is probably a decline in the number of gas stations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Oh god, please let it be memes.
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

15+ Year Old Account
    Common Sense

Hopefully Facebook and Twitter.

In ten years? White men.
    In twenty years? Every man left.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    With what it fucking costs to go to the theater anymore, I don't think many people would really miss them. At least where I live, a non matinee costs almost as much as buying the fucking DVD on release. And matinee prices can still be OVER $10. That's just fucking stupid. Not to mention the cost of soda and popcorn. For two people to go to the theater, get popcorn and soda, you're looking at close to $35-40. That's crazy.
    Sure the price of a ticket is higher than before. But still cheaper than to buy your own homemade IMAX cinema with dolby atmos sound. To have the atmosfair with all the fans etc.
    And one more thing. You don't have to buy popcorn and soda each time you go to the cinema... If you really want that, bring it your own. Just put it in a bag or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    The toilet? The porcelain throne? The John?

I don't know...just a random guess maybe in ten years that whole crouching to do your business thing will catch on in the western world?

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Let's take a wild stab and say the drivers license. In 10 years, almost everyone will have a digital version of their license on their smartphone.

On the OTHER hand, in 10 years, phones may be as small as a drivers license.
    I actually think this will go away too because we won't be driving. Self driving cars won't require us to have a license and perhaps towards the end of my life, driving yourself won't be allowed since you'd be the least safe thing on the road.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    I disagree here, but for slightly different reasons than self-driving; said reason being that the advent of electric cars is likely going to see a switch from 'parking fees' in the traditional sense to 'pay per charge' fees where drivers pay to charge their cars while they are parked.

What we will see is probably a decline in the number of gas stations.
    If the car can drive itself then why wouldn't people just command their car to go home? Then like an hour or 20 minutes the car is set to go to the owners location to pick them up. Especially if the car can just park and be recharged automatically. Parking garages can sweeten the deal with free recharging but it's a huge cost to park. Though I could see local governments trying to curb this as traffic conditions on the roads will just get worse as empty cars are causing traffic. Many cities already give discounts for those parking their cars to work, but they're not great discounts.

Of course if you're seeing a doctor you could just tell the car to circle for a while, or let the car act as a taxi which can earn you money. This was Tesla's plan with the Model 3.

I'm definitely thinking cable TV. They're already suffering sharp declines

Deleted
    The USA will be Falloutzone B

The only thing that can be predicted is that humans can't leave the Internet and mobile phone

Deleted
    Bitcoin most likely.

Quote Originally Posted by monkfailz View Post
    - Landlines
    Landlines are not going anywhere. If you want to buy (or to sell) 4 tons of reinforcement rods, will you do that by a mobile? Or by Skype? No, you will do that by a landline, maybe a fax even.

I dont know.. im with this toilet paper fella here....

Toilet paper will be for the poor plebs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably a lot of brick-and-mortar stores. Maybe drivers licences, not because they are digitalized but because we'll have self-driving cars. I'd love to see suits die, I never want to wear one again.

Incandescent bulbs.

Cheers