Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Warlock pets - Is it time for a change?

With the current focus on specs, I feel like the pets we have don't really suit Affliction and Destruction anymore.

There is nothing related to demons in Affliction. We use curses, shadow magic and souls. Same for Destruction, We use fire and fel. The only demon related ability is a trait in our artifact that spawns infernals. Also, they just keep buffing the imp so we would use it as our main pet.

I think Affliction should get stuff like specters and skeletons as pets instead. As for Destruction, I'm not really sure. Maybe some fel fiery pets? I would like it more if we had something like the fiery dogs in the firelands raid.

One last thing, While I like being self sufficient, they need to make the pets actually relevant in these specs, rotation wise. The pets don't gain or give any buffs + don't change the way you play the specs.

What do you think?
    Last edited by Nevrex; 2018-01-20 at 10:19 AM.

yes it will.. pets provide you with utility like spell lock etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Craaazyyy View Post
    yes it will.. pets provide you with utility like spell lock etc...
    Well yes, but I meant more of a rotation thing. They just auto attack.

I'll fix that in my post : )
    Last edited by Nevrex; 2018-01-20 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevrex View Post
    Well yes, but I meant more of a rotation thing. They just auto attack.

they dont need to be a rotation thing for every spec.. to me they dont need to be a rotation thing at all.. its super clunky and doesnt belong in the game

the problems that warlocks have atm have nothing to do with pets for the most part(ofc there are some problems like double spell lock)

Deleted
    I would much much rather they fix their atrocious pet AI and pet aggro radius. Instead, they leave it as horrible as it was since the beginning of WoW but now "force" us into them by making them the highest dps option plus utility that we would not have without the pet.... Way to double down on a weakness...

10+ Year Old Account
    I like pets...and Warlock has been a pet class since the beginning, if you hate pets so bad you could try a Shadow Priest or a Mage.

Quote Originally Posted by Socronoss View Post
    I would much much rather they fix their atrocious pet AI and pet aggro radius. Instead, they leave it as horrible as it was since the beginning of WoW but now "force" us into them by making them the highest dps option plus utility that we would not have without the pet.... Way to double down on a weakness...
    I didn't say they need to be the highest dps option. Just to make them a bit more relevant gameplay wise.
    Last edited by Nevrex; 2018-01-20 at 10:30 AM.

If they didn't neuter GoSac in Legion, the problem would be solved for me.
    Then you'd avoid the hassle with pets and still keep that important interrupt.

10+ Year Old Account
    We could do with more variety of demons and customisation of the demons talent trees, speccing pets in to melee, caster, tank, dps etc.

To me, destruction should be petless.

For affliction, I think the succubus would fit as opposed to the felhound. Though they really need to stop with the whole tying pets to specs thing.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

I know a lot of folks don't want warlocks be, 'hunters with demons' but I really wish we could permanently enslave demons throughout the game. Each demon would have different abilities suited to different needs and situations.

- P

With the current focus on specs, I feel like the pets we have don't really suit Affliction and Destruction anymore.

There is nothing related to demons in Affliction. We use curses, shadow magic and souls. Same for Destruction, We use fire and fel. The only demon related ability is a trait in our artifact that spawns infernals. Also, they just keep buffing the imp so we would use it as our main pet.

I think Affliction should get stuff like specters and skeletons as pets instead. As for Destruction, I'm not really sure. Maybe some fel fiery pets? I would like it more if we had something like the fiery dogs in the firelands raid.

One last thing, While I like being self sufficient, they need to make the pets actually relevant in these specs, rotation wise. The pets don't gain or give any buffs + don't change the way you play the specs.

What do you think?

What do you think?
    All warlocks use demons. It's been there since the very beginning of the game. If you don't like pets, go play a shadow priest or mage. Shadow is supremely better designed than affliction anyways.

What they did wrong was forcing a specific pet to a spec. Pets should be chosen on utility.

7+ Year Old Account
    Except your poi t as a warlock is demons. The real problem is your cooldowns are also demons.. Wtf... Destroyed, affi. And demo all have the same DPS cooldown...

That needs to change. Maybe even infernal for destroyed, doomguard for affi and something bigger for demo.

Warlocks are about demons. And the current pets for those specs match. So it makes sense.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lucrece View Post
    All warlocks use demons. It's been there since the very beginning of the game. If you don't like pets, go play a shadow priest or mage. Shadow is supremely better designed than affliction anyways.

What they did wrong was forcing a specific pet to a spec. Pets should be chosen on utility.
    To be fair they have always forced them by what does more damage... You can use Any pet you want. A felhunter as destroyed for utility
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

They just need to make the utility of other pets more compelling. Like succubus's seduce could not require a channel so you could use the succubus as an extra CC pet. The voidwalker could grant a 10% health shield that lasts for 8 seconds to the group. Imp can have mass dispel on the group as baseline, and the felhunter could pull targets to its center (counterspell should be made a baseline spell for warlock).

Stuff like that.

Hm was that directed at my post or just in general? I like pets, I just think that demons don't match all 3 specs anymore. Been playing warlock for like 12 years now, it just doesn't feel right anymore on all 3 specs to me.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    Except your poi t as a warlock is demons. The real problem is your cooldowns are also demons.. Wtf... Destroyed, affi. And demo all have the same DPS cooldown...

That needs to change. Maybe even infernal for destroyed, doomguard for affi and something bigger for demo.

Warlocks are about demons. And the current pets for those specs match. So it makes sense.

- - - Updated - - -

To be fair they have always forced them by what does more damage... You can use Any pet you want. A felhunter as destroyed for utility
    Have to say, took me some time to realize you meant Destruction when you said destroyed haha.

Anyway, I agree that the specs should be about demons. All I'm saying is that currently the pets don't match the theme of the specs.

7+ Year Old Account
    Hm was that directed at my post or just in general? I like pets, I just think that demons don't match all 3 specs anymore. Been playing warlock for like 12 years now, it just doesn't feel right anymore on all 3 specs to me.

Have to say, took me some time to realize you meant Destruction when you said destroyed haha.

Anyway, I agree that the specs should be about demons. All I'm saying is that currently the pets don't match the theme of the specs.
    On he phone in bed sick. So destro auto correct to destroy also
    Affliction is about soul magic. Felhunter about consuming souls and magic
    Destroyed about fire magic and chaos. Imps about fire magic nf chaos.
    But the doomguard/internal for all 3 specs is garbage
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Sacrifice has also been there since the beginning too *shrug*

In demonology's tree no less (however that made sense)
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    On he phone in bed sick. So destro auto correct to destroy also
    Affliction is about soul magic. Felhunter about consuming souls and magic
    Destroyed about fire magic and chaos. Imps about fire magic nf chaos.
    But the doomguard/internal for all 3 specs is garbage
    Oh that sucks man. Make yourself a nice cup of tea (in case you didn't make one yet ^ ^).

I know that Felhunters eat magic but I'm not so sure about consuming souls as well.

About the doomguard and infernal, I agree. Could change them to something else instead.

I think Warlocks should have pets, I'm just not convinced that they should be permanent. I think I'd rather see the pets be "at use" and designed to accomplish different things but still all be viable at their role. They kind of screwed the pooch with Demo, but I do think that they were on to something.

Personally I just wish our pets could hold/generate more threat than they currently do. Pulling off a void/infernal is usually just a single rotation at best.